• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair dye question

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hi guys
I have a question that I need some help and opinions on.
I love my natural hair colour but I have managed to inherit my maternal sides early greying hair and so have been dying my hair for a number of years now. I need to dye it and have needed to for most of the past three months since surgery but I didnt want to weaken my hair and now that I am this distance from surgery my hair is suffering, it is very thick so the hair that I am losing isnt a HUGE issue but my hair is feeling rather fragile so I am very nervous about putting a dye on it.
The advice I need is SHOULD I dye my hair?
My grey hairs are spotted throughout and so not a mass of them on first glances but I do want to get rid of them but I CAN wait for a while if it is better for my fragile hair.
What do you guys think?
Steph xx

Hi Steph, if it was me I would dye it, it could be ages before the quality improves so you may as well make it the best of it by colouring it. My hair has been falling out gradually since the op but seems to have calmed down a little now. I started taking Silica about 6-8 weeks ago and although I don't know if this has helped to slow the loss, what hair I do still have is in pretty good condition. That is until I book an appointment later today to have my highlights done again... :D

Cuppa xx

Thanks ladies.
My local market has a natural health stall and they do organic type hair dyes, I might do and have a look there.
Steph xx

How about a few subtle highlights all over, just a shade or two lighter than your own hair.get it done by a hairdresser and ask for tints not bleach.

what about wash in wash out, they usually last around 6 weeks dont they ? otherwise ask a hairdresser to dye your hair the will have a better quality one than you can buy in a shop and also be able to give advice on your hair xx

Hi guys
I have a question that I need some help and opinions on.
I love my natural hair colour but I have managed to inherit my maternal sides early greying hair and so have been dying my hair for a number of years now. I need to dye it and have needed to for most of the past three months since surgery but I didnt want to weaken my hair and now that I am this distance from surgery my hair is suffering, it is very thick so the hair that I am losing isnt a HUGE issue but my hair is feeling rather fragile so I am very nervous about putting a dye on it.
The advice I need is SHOULD I dye my hair?
My grey hairs are spotted throughout and so not a mass of them on first glances but I do want to get rid of them but I CAN wait for a while if it is better for my fragile hair.
What do you guys think?
Steph xx

I had my surgery after you and I have dyed my hair and it is ok hun xxx

Steph im a hairdresser and as long as your adding colour to your hair and not stripping it out with bleach and high lift blondes you will be fine, it will enhance the condition of it and wont make it any more likely to fall out, most dyes just advise you to do a skin test which may be a good idea if your skin has changed post op x

I was going to say, I have had mine coloured twice since op, both times have radically improved the quality but I did have it done at hairdressers. I have had too many "oh my god I look like a fraggle!" moments to risk doing it myself anymore.

It's a lovely treat too ;)

Rybens...it always confuses me when it says do a skin test because surely you have to mix it first to do the skin test but then youre supposed to use the mix immediately, so how do I test it?
Steph xx

i too asked this question to someone the other day about home dyes as within the shop i was always told to do the mix as it would be aplyed, but on the box sort it just says to use the colour its self as aparently thats the bit you could have the reaction to. To be honest iv never done a skin test on myself and coloured my hair twice in the last week with box ones lol but if it would not have felt right or different than before id have washed it off x

Ah ok thanks xx
I think I may wait until I can get along to a hairdresser and get them to do the dye for me, I have always wanted to get a professional colour done and I couldnt think of a reward for hitting my first big target (15st) but I think that maybe it could be a colour done properley.
Steph xx

mine was after urs steph and ive had mine chopped short dyed black and then had a chunk of blonde through - it went orange so had it lightend and toned again! my hair 2 is thick and feeling the affects of the bypass but has been better since the trip to the hairdressers :) xx

Hi Steph,

I too suffer with dreaded grey hair, and have been steadily losing my hair since about 6 ish weeks post op. Luckily I am like you and started with plenty so nobody has noticed the loss yet.

I have been having mine coloured every 5 weeks since i was a month post op. I have to as the grey is so bad (about 60% grey). My hair is in lovely condition, so if I were you I would go for it.

i suffer from silver grey hairs so have honey blonde highlights to blend them in

My hair is falling out in handfulls but luckily I have thick hair so as of now its been ok. I had my hair dyed for the first time post op last week and i'm so glad I did. It's in great shiny condition and looks fab.

Go for it.

Back