• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help with hair loss!

scnewbie

Hi there!
I'm 8 weeks post op and almost 2 stone down, my weight has stalled for the last 3 weeks but I have 1 more fill in 2 weeks then I'll be 5.5ccs in a 10cc band. Anyway, the past week I've noticed my hair starting to come out but since last night it's coming out in clumps when I wash it or dry it straighten it or brush it. It's all over my clothes and I'm not talking a few hairs I mean clumps of it!!! Should I go to the doctor or maybe start vitamins???? My hair is long and black so it is really noticeable!! Any suggestions would be very appreciated!! Thanks xx Sara

I'm no medic but I suspect you're severely lacking in protein.

I've kept my protein and vit levels up post-band and haven't lost any hair at all.

I'd get some advice from your provider.

I'm no medic but I suspect you're severely lacking in protein.

I've kept my protein and vit levels up post-band and haven't lost any hair at all.

I'd get some advice from your provider.

Totally agree
we are told at THG we must take good vits and minerals..Sorry but I think that's quite obvious we are living on such small amount's of food :/

Thanks all for the advice. And if it was so obvious then I wouldn't be on this forum asking silly questions! I was not told about vitamin uptake but I am on the ball and have started taking them. I sure hope any other questions I have won't be so obvious to others! Thanks a mill all for the advice! Xxxx

I take a skin, hair and nails supplement. I buy mine in asda, as they are usually on the 3 for £10 offer. I find it helps a bit with hair loss. Give them a go it may do the trick for you :)

I am 3 and a half months post op and I take all my vitamins faithfully and get my protein in and I have been experiencing hair loss as well and I just will say I really don't think there is anything you can do to prevent it ... it is just going to happen just embrace it as you are shedding the old you and introducing the new you. This thought process helps me through those days when I get frustrated about losing hair. Hang in there this so to will pass :)

Very well wrote and thank you very much! I know it's part & parcel of it! I would rather be thin and bald tbh haha! Thank u xxxxx

Some people do experience quite dramatic hair loss. It isn't necessarily that you are nutritional deficient, its the body reacting to a severe reduction in energy consumption.

I had terrible hair loss when I did the milk shake diet for 14 weeks. It's very alarming and upsetting. It all came back again but the loss was through ketosis. The fact that it's coming out in clumps sounds more like alopecia. I would check with your consultant just incase. If they never gave you the right advice that is very naughty. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about though. X

Yes, hairloss is a pain but comes with the territory for us. Usually sets in a few months after surgery. There is nothing really to stop it. Mine has been coming out for a few weeks now. My advice is to try and wash hair as little as possible (maybe once a week) avoiding products with dimethecone as this makes hair look greasy. Try not to brush or comb, and use a tangle-teaser instead. It does stop I understand. Due to the reduction in in-take during the WLS process, our body is recovering sending available resources to keep our vital functions going, so hair and nails get put at the bottom of the list of our body's priorities.

Thank you all for the support I am starting to look more into it and I will look after my hair asap. I'm not sure if it's bypass as I have had the band and it's definately in full effect! Lol, but it was a worry at the start I must admit but I've relaxed a bit more now, and it could be worse, I'd rather this side effect than having to go back to my life prior band! No way hosaaa!!!! Thanks all for the lovely support xxxx

Back