• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi everyone

If it's any consolation, my surgery is in 11 days time and when I think about it I get that panicky 'dropping' feeling in my stomach, my heart races and I have a strong urge to phone up and cancel! :eek:

I am absolutely terrified of needles, hospitals and most of all, being out of control so the thought of being put under anesthetic puts me into a complete tailspin.

When I read posts from pre-oppers who are excited about surgery I just can't get my head round it. I'm dreading it.

So what gets you through? Well for me, it's basically avoiding any thought of the surgery and just concentrating on the weight dropping off and my new life. To help in that, at the moment I tend to avoid the threads where things have gone wrong and concentrate on the majority which are success stories. Realistically I know they'll probably end up sedating me to pre-op as I have a bit of a history of freaking out about things I'm scared of (e.g. I'm terrified of flying and have walked off about half a dozen flights, junking in business trips and paid holidays!)

There's all levels of nerves - some have little to none, some moderate and some are bricking themselves. It's all normal I think - just concentrate on the benefits of losing weight which far outweigh the risks.

Good luck with your upcoming op and also sorry your having such a hard time with everything it's good to know I'm not the only one with these feelings I just think if I'm this scared now what will u be like nearer the time what op are you having if you don't mind me asking I keep picturing myself they night before ill with nerves I want to walk in and be as calm as I would be with the other ops I've had xx

Hello!

Nerves are totally normal. It's a big leap into the unknown. I know leading up to mine, I used to wake in the dead of night worrying about it. I also got that "dropping" feeling mentioned.

Once it's done you'll only regret that you didn't do it earlier! Good luck on your journey x

Hello! Nerves are totally normal. It's a big leap into the unknown. I know leading up to mine, I used to wake in the dead of night worrying about it. I also got that "dropping" feeling mentioned. Once it's done you'll only regret that you didn't do it earlier! Good luck on your journey x

Thank you florabell I think since my appointment on Thursday it has made me a million times more terrified knowing it's closer than I first thought I want to think of this op the same as any other scared but not terrified I just don't know how I'm going to keep calm to all you lovely people on here I think you are all so brave I hope I'm not the chicken amongst us all lol xx

Good luck with your upcoming op and also sorry your having such a hard time with everything it's good to know I'm not the only one with these feelings I just think if I'm this scared now what will u be like nearer the time what op are you having if you don't mind me asking I keep picturing myself they night before ill with nerves I want to walk in and be as calm as I would be with the other ops I've had xx

I'm having the mini gastric bypass (though it's not actually 'mini', it's just a different way of doing a bypass).

I think that if you look to be nervous they will give you something to calm you down a bit before the op. I've only ever had one op - tonsils out when I was a young kid - my Mum tells me that I screamed the hospital down, tried to escape and kicked someone who was trying to take my blood and she was massively embarrassed. :eek:

I'll definitely be better than that! lol

I'm having the mini gastric bypass (though it's not actually 'mini', it's just a different way of doing a bypass). I think that if you look to be nervous they will give you something to calm you down a bit before the op. I've only ever had one op - tonsils out when I was a young kid - my Mum tells me that I screamed the hospital down, tried to escape and kicked someone who was trying to take my blood and she was massively embarrassed. :eek: I'll definitely be better than that! lol

I think I will be able to keep it together it's i want to get the idea out my head that I won't wake up I want to be happy and excited I am but fear is slowly taking over xx

Back