• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi, I'm new here!

BethE

Hi there!

I am new to this site, and have signed up to get as much information and support as I can prior to my gastric band on 21 Feb. I'm trying to be as prepared as I can to make the most of my band and get to my goal weight as soon as possible!

I have been hovering for a couple of weeks now and reading other people's posts and everyone has been such an inspiration and made me even more determined than before to do well and lose the weight for good.

Does anyone have any handy tips for preparing for surgery? Also, is there anyone on here from Bournemouth or the surrounding area?

Look forward to hearing from peeps!

Hiya Beth welcome to the forum there are lots and lots of useful information within the posts you can definatly get if not all then most of the info you need need from here. Good luck. xx

Hi beth! Welcome to the forum. I had my bypass at bournemouth hospital but I live 40 miles away from bournemouth itself. There is a support group for that area organised by pandora they meet first Monday of every month at the premier inn poole if you're interested. There are quite a few people from bournemouth and the surrounding areas on here , and I'm sure they will be along to say hi also.. I'm sure though that you will find all the advice and support you need on here, and good luck with your surgery xx

Im not from your area, but I am a bander :) had it fitted on Aug 23rd and loving it . . .the choices its helped me to make to lose the weight and to work alongside my band :)

Welcome Beth. I am a bander and this site was/is extremely helpful for me. Going in to the journey well prepared is half the battle ... the band can be a very good friend, if you treat it right and work with it, rather than expect it to do all the work for you. Best of luck. Any specific questions you have, please just throw them at us, we will try to give you the benefit of our 'non-professional' but 'been there and done it' experiences (bearing in mind, we are all different, and our providers/opinions/approaches/guidance may differ too) :)

Hi guys, thank you for the warm welcome. I am definitely interested in the support group, I shall try and find out some more information about that and go along.

Astraste, how much do you have to lose? I guess we will be starting our journeys about the same time, although with different types of surgery.

A quick question, my husband an I are wanting to book a short break at Disneyland Paris about 9 weeks after my op. assuming surgery goes well with no complications do you think I'd be ok to go? We are driving rather than flying but worried incase rides hurt my band/around my band! Any advice greatly appreciated! Also do I need to let my travel insurance company know I've had a band? It's a current policy I have with them.

Thanks very much

Hiya beth and welcome to the group,I'm also a bander since may 2012,having the band was the best thing I could of done,I'm loving it and my life! I no doubt believe that without it I would still be that 21stone person with no confidence at all but here I am 8stone lighter and a trainee beautician xx

Wow Tracy that's amazing! 8st is more than I could ever dream of, I'm sure! And its only taken you since may to lose that? I am impressed!

How do you, and others, manage with eating out? Is it do-able with a band?

Thanks

A quick question, my husband an I are wanting to book a short break at Disneyland Paris about 9 weeks after my op. assuming surgery goes well with no complications do you think I'd be ok to go? We are driving rather than flying but worried incase rides hurt my band/around my band! Any advice greatly appreciated! Also do I need to let my travel insurance company know I've had a band? It's a current policy I have with them.

Thanks very much

You should be ok with the driving - I was back driving post op 3 days after surgery and would have been ok to return to work at the end of the first week. The drive should be ok but I don't know where you stand in relation to the rides - that is definitely one you should check direct with your provider.

You also need to have travel insurance which covers having had your gastric band fitted, it often is something that is added as an extra and not covered under basic insurance policies, so definitely check that one out too :)

I hope that all goes well with your band, Im just short of losing 6 stone in my just over 4 months since having my band and as yet still have very little restriction as Im taking my fills slowly, but using it as a tool to change my eating habits and choices. The band certainly isn't something that will do it all for you . . .and although I still have a long way to go, it has been the best decision I've ever made even tho it took me 7+ years to make it :)

Yep 8stone since may,I didn't have to do a pre op diet at all so my starting weight shown on here was what I weighed the day of my op,I've only eaten out twice since I've had mine as I'm scared of being sick in public,but I was fine with a child sized portion,as long as u take ur time you'll be fine xx

I have lost over ten stones...so as tracy and topkat have said banders can be really successful. My travel insurance is with my bank account and when i phoned them they said because i wasnt referred for surgery by my gp, they didnt class it as a preexisting illness and having the surgery did not affect my cover or increase any premiums...happy days :)

Hi and welcome

Im another bander, getting on for four years post op. I have successfully been maintaining for a while now.

Best advice I can give, listen to your provider - follow their advice. Be prepared to change to a healthy lifestyle - diet and exercise. Join my fitness pal to track your food and finally post absolutly any question you may have - get the most from this site!

Have a look through the band section and join in.

Look forward to hearing more from you - good luck xx

9 weeks after surgery I was feeling back to normal, but I didn't go on any rides so would be wise to check :) The only advice I would give pre-op is to take your pre-op diet seriously. For me the biggest benefit of the band so far has been the impact on my thinking around food. The pre-op diet was the start of my psychological process. It's a work in progress but I really feel like this is the change I needed for my life. I only hope I can do as well as the other successful banders on this forum. You will find your own way but they speak sense so it's worth listening :D take the bits you need for your journey and good luck xx

Hiya beth, welcome to the forum. theirs lots of people in here who will help you if you need advice hun. good luck with the opp too, not long now x

Eating out - most important to RELAX and remember to chew well and not rush to eat too much. A starter size of protein based food is probably a good indication of what you may be able to eat comfortably without pushing the boundaries too much. a child size portion (if available) or just carry a plastic tub with you to put any leftovers home with you (if you dont like leaving food). I eat out 4-5 times a week with my hubby or work events, so have to find coping strategies. I have been known to still be able to eat a small three course meal post band - and then other days I cannot eat a teeny portion of what normally goes down without problem. every day is different, which is part of the fun of it ... remember your plastic tub :8855:

I went to YO Sushi today and it was fab! Frankie and Benny's the other day, I just had a starter. Went to an American Diner and had a seafood taster platter. Have had no probs eating out, just make sure I don't get distracted and swallow before chewing properly. I don't have much in my band yet so this may get more challenging. In a way I hope it does!

Hey everyone im new to all this I have booked my band at Dolan Park on the 7th Feb im having Dr Sigurdsson. Im so nervous already lol can anyone tell me if you wake up in loads of pain?? im such a wuss and worriedx
x

Hi nikki! I know what you mean about being scared of the surgery, I watched a video of the op and it really grossed me out! Have decided not to watch anything like it again and to try and forget about it!

Did anyone get signed off sick from work after the operation to recover? I am hoping I can get a sick note from the hospital or my gp following the surgery, even though I am funding it myself and my GP has not referred me.

Back