• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

honest answers only please

Merry Christmas :)

I had my worries and doubts leading up to the surgery date, but for me it was because I'd previously had a band and my past experience to compare with was awful. I struggled for the full 14 months I was banded with sickness and pain, so for me it was 'what if it feels the same after bypass?'

I'm still on puree food as my bypass was only done on 14th December, but I can honestly say I feel on top of the world :D no sickness, no drastic pain, only minimal soreness from recovery and the very best bit is the weight is falling off already.
I was sort of dreading today and mourning the fact that I couldn't scoff myself silly as would have been the norm but I've just taken the day as it came... me, my hubby and 19yr old son and sat with them all through the feasting and I've survived...In reality, I wasn't hungry so I needn't have worried myself after all :eek:

It's only natural to feel apprehensive, I certainly did leading up to the surgery.

sending you hugs to get you through xx

I have to be honest and say that there have been a couple of occassions when i have asked myself WHY and i to have mourned the loss of not being able to eat what i want. I have obviously had weight problems for a long long time and i look at it like i had an addiction with food so i suppose my head still has its moments. Do i regret my op NO never and i count myself fortunate that i had funding, but still having the odd moment now and again and i accept that this is me and i know it will get better. As i said this is only my thoughts and i woud still do it in a heartbeat. x

I just made myself the most disgusting supper ever. Hubby is out. I tried cooking raw minced chicken and onions in a small saucepan with some bbq sauce and other sauces plus some frozen carrot batons (more like matchsticks, so thin and small). It came out really crumbly and dry and horrid. But I got down a few mouthfuls with applesauce like a baby. Really ghastly. Hated it.

I think I do better with soft cooked bits of chicken than trying to cook chicken mince from raw. :(

Ruthiep that wasnt an attack on you in the slightest and there is nothing to forgive you for. I only wanted to put across that ive never questioned or regretted what ive done even the day of my surgery i was laughing and joking with the operating team right up to the point where they put me under i honestly couldnt wait to have my op i had no nerves or hesitation whatsoever maybe im just strange. Ive had a flawless 6.5 months not a single problem at all and i try to use my experience to calm others fears about there up coming ops and let them know that its not all bad and some of us just breeze through it with no dramas at all.

Jed: I'm very relieved! I suppose the word "Liar" is very confrontational and I shouldn't have used it.

I was also joking and laughing with my surgical team until they put me under; I couldn't wait to have it done. I am very happy that I am (and this is a phrase I am coined)..."free from the tyranny of my own appetite." I'm going to be slim and not even *I* can stop it happening lol.

I know there is only a short time ahead until I can eat normally albeit much less. I don't like the mush stage much. I MISS SALADS!!

You guys: how soon post op could you eat a nice crunchy salad? Especially bypassers and sleevers, because I know bandits HAVE to get crunch in to make their bands work (or something).

I have not had even 1 seconds regret, I would do it again tomorrow. I don't miss the constant hunger, or the shame of secret eating and gorging. I am so pleased I have a small appetite now, and I haven't even sniffed a biscuit, chocolate or any other crap. I am losing at a good rate, 29lb in 5 weeks. Bring on the summer!

Ruth. I totally went by the book after surgery on every stage it was around 8wks till i started trying so called normal foods but even now i only eat certain things ive stayed away from all chocs n biscuits fried foods and take aways although today i had a small xmas dinner and had some trifle for afters i must admit i felt a little sick after the trifle as ive avoided sugar as much as i possibly could in turn ive totally turned the way i eat upside down and am now somekind of health freak lol

Jed: Ruthie please :) It's good you're turning into a health freak, no? :p

I was asking about salads specifically. I know bypassers have problems with fat and sugar that sleevers and bandits don't have. But today I hosted a party and there were bowls of delicious crunchy salads and I couldn't even try any. I really miss salads.

Jed: I'm very relieved! I suppose the word "Liar" is very confrontational and I shouldn't have used it.

I was also joking and laughing with my surgical team until they put me under; I couldn't wait to have it done. I am very happy that I am (and this is a phrase I am coined)..."free from the tyranny of my own appetite." I'm going to be slim and not even *I* can stop it happening lol.

I know there is only a short time ahead until I can eat normally albeit much less. I don't like the mush stage much. I MISS SALADS!!

You guys: how soon post op could you eat a nice crunchy salad? Especially bypassers and sleevers, because I know bandits HAVE to get crunch in to make their bands work (or something).

Ruth, Don't ever feel that your comments are wrong...often people quote/ respond as they read the posts and haven't read the whole thread, that completes the story:)

I was very fortunate with my op too and can honestly say I never regretted a thing....however....I did most of my "is this right for me" worrying pre op mostly regarding spending that much money on myself:(

As too salads I really fancied some today and made myself a small bowl of mixed leaf, cherry tomato,a small pickled onion, ham and cheese all chopped up fine with a little low fat salad cream....went down a treat:D My op was the first week of Sept, mostly though I think it would fill me up without enough nutritional value, so probably wont bother again for a while...

Anyway Merry Christmas all, and welcome to the forum Ruth:)

Thank you Sarah :) Can I ask a favour, I like being called Ruthie not Ruth, thanks so much. You're way ahead of me, I'm only nearly four weeks post op so I guess not quite ready for salads yet.

No problem Ruthie, I remember when I was still on mashed/puree I would have given my right arm for some salad too ....all good things etc...

Ruthie....salads are not a problem in the slightest i can have all salad items and have done for some time now

Ruthie, I am 5 weeks and 1 day post op, I had lettuce, onion and tomato today, bit I didn't eat the skin on the tomato. I also eat clementines including the segments membrane, Absolutely no probs. I havent had it up till now as I don't think it has enough nutritional value and takes the space in my pouch that I would rather fill with meat for protein. My friend is also 5 weeks and has been eating salad for 2 weeks. She went straight from fluids after a week onto mashed for 2 weeks then ordinary food. I wouldn't recommend anyone else do that, I certainly didn't. But I was told I can have crunchy food from New years eve so I am only a few days early.

Hi, have missed an appointment for operation once,I am very scared don't know what to do ,I want to go,but my mum and family is saying different things,any one been to cheadle Alexzandara hospital,under dr khurshid

Ruthie, I am 5 weeks and 1 day post op, I had lettuce, onion and tomato today, bit I didn't eat the skin on the tomato. I also eat clementines including the segments membrane, Absolutely no probs. I havent had it up till now as I don't think it has enough nutritional value and takes the space in my pouch that I would rather fill with meat for protein. My friend is also 5 weeks and has been eating salad for 2 weeks. She went straight from fluids after a week onto mashed for 2 weeks then ordinary food. I wouldn't recommend anyone else do that, I certainly didn't. But I was told I can have crunchy food from New years eve so I am only a few days early.

Well I'm 4 weeks post op on Wednesday...trouble is my bariatric dietician is away and is unlikely to get back to me with the answer to can I now have salads after Wednesday. I think I'll experiment with a tiny bit of lettuce and as you say, the inside of a tomato, and see how that goes. I do want to continue concentrating on proteins but just proteins can be very dull on their own...

I to have had no regrets since my op, but accept others whose path hasn't been so smooth may well have. This op affects us all in different ways, & our mind sets are different for what we expect to feel etc. the main thing is we deal with any demons we have get our heads around the new us & work with it. With luck we will learn to love our weight loss tool & achieve the miracles we never thought possible. All I can say is good luck & have a good ride to the new you.

Ruthie if your bored of plain protein try adding some dolmio sauce to it. Or have a look at my recipe for home made curry, if you cur the veg up really small it goes to a pulp and should be fine for the mashed stage x

Back