• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How does the milk diet shrink your liver?

tango

I expect that I am asking a stupid question because I suppose I should know having been on it now for a week. But I was wondering what actually happens to your liver? Does the milk diet reduce the size of your liver because you use up glycerin that has been stored in it (due to less calories) or does the liver shrink because of the amount of milk that is consumed? Anybody know?

Ok here's my bit of amateur (kind of) biology and physiology the liver is the largest organ in your body and amongst other things one of it's main functions is to store energy in the form of a substance called glycogen. The energy in glycogen is water soluble, so the liver is a way a bit like a big sponge, saturated in this stuff called glycogen.

When we embark on the liver -shrinking diet, be it the milk diet or the low carb, low fat very low calorie diet, the liver is called upon to use its glycogen stores.

As the glycogen stores are used up, the liver begins to shrink, a bit like a sponge being squeezed of it's water content.

It's not the milk consumed, it's the fact that the glycogen stores are used.

I'm sure someone can bring a far more scientific explanation, but that's my best effort!
Hope it helps.xxx

Thanks Charis for your explanation. I was wondering if you know the answer to this one? Why is it that some consultants want the milk diet for two weeks some for less and some for more? Do you know how long it takes to shrink the liver of its glycerin?

You are know my technical guru???!!! x

Thanks Charis for your explanation. I was wondering if you know the answer to this one? Why is it that some consultants want the milk diet for two weeks some for less and some for more? Do you know how long it takes to shrink the liver of its glycerin?

You are know my technical guru???!!! x

LOL what a terrifying responsibility! Tango I have to admit I DON'T know but can only guess.
I did the milk diet for 10 days but my liver as not particularly shrunk at surgery - and I stuck to it like glue!

I'm guessing some surgeons are just more fussy and 'careful' than others.
From my knowledge of surgeons (I was a nurse for 20 years) they're a fussy lot, they tend to be 'prima donnas'; and each has their own 'signature' in the way the like things to be done
Even surgeons working side-by-side can vary enormously in their preferences: one likes this particular instrument, another this particular suture (stitch) it's a big job for nurses who work in theatres to KNOW INSIDE OUT each surgeon's preference....because like divas, they can be known to throw huge hissy fits if they don't get just what they want!

I am hoping that my liver at least does the decent thing and shrink for my surgery or I will be having a serious word with it!!

Your liver obviously shrunk enough for surgery so that was a blessing I imagine it would be pretty much everyones nightmare to be told that their liver hadnt shrunk enough.

Well I am off now to make more jelly, strawberry I think today! Thanks for your help. x

I am hoping that my liver at least does the decent thing and shrink for my surgery or I will be having a serious word with it!!

Your liver obviously shrunk enough for surgery so that was a blessing I imagine it would be pretty much everyones nightmare to be told that their liver hadnt shrunk enough.

Well I am off now to make more jelly, strawberry I think today! Thanks for your help. x

Believe it or not, my surgeon told me I was on the 'small side' of the patients he operated on, so even though my liver hadn't shrunk a great deal, it was ok!

and judging by the size of the gown I wore (could've got 3 of me into it, it was so huge) he wasn't lying. He made me feel quite good!

LOL what a terrifying responsibility! Tango I have to admit I DON'T know but can only guess.
I did the milk diet for 10 days but my liver as not particularly shrunk at surgery - and I stuck to it like glue!

I'm guessing some surgeons are just more fussy and 'careful' than others.
From my knowledge of surgeons (I was a nurse for 20 years) they're a fussy lot, they tend to be 'prima donnas'; and each has their own 'signature' in the way the like things to be done
Even surgeons working side-by-side can vary enormously in their preferences: one likes this particular instrument, another this particular suture (stitch) it's a big job for nurses who work in theatres to KNOW INSIDE OUT each surgeon's preference....because like divas, they can be known to throw huge hissy fits if they don't get just what they want!
found this very helpfull thanks

Back