• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How fast is a gentle jog?

Muttley1900

A question for all you runners out there, whether you are long termers or have just started with running using things like the NHS Choices Couch to 5K or Zombies, Run!

How fast is a gentle jog?

I'm sure the answer is similar to how long is a piece of string. What I may find a gentle jog, the fitter of you out there will think as a tiresome walk and the not as fit will think I'm going like the clappers - but, how fast do you think a gentle jog is?

I ask as I'm now at the stage of my running training where I will be running for 20 mins solid (that's a big thing for me) and the podcast keeps telling me "not to worry, you've been preparing this and you don't push yourself, you just run at a gentle jog..."

So is my gentle jog at 10 kmph (just over 6mph) taking the pee and I should be stepping it up a bit (I don't feel that I could go much faster for that duration) or am I setting myself up for failure by running too fast? The brisk steady walking pace I use in-between the running parts of the sessions is 6.2 kmph (just over 3 and 3/4 mph), which feels a nice "recovery" pace for me.

So, how fast is "a gentle jog"?

i think so much of this will depend on your fitness, how much weight you're carrying and what you feel comfortable with.

I've just started my couch25k but am still 6 stone over my target weight. I actually brisk walk around 5-5.5mph but jog at around 6. As my app says, "jog, not quite running but not walking either"

Listen to what you're body is telling you, what you feel comfortable with and with time will come speed

65% of your maximum heart rate apparently

Thanks, but I'll not be buying yet another bit of equipment to strap onto me to see what my heart rate is whilst i'm moving is - I find it hard enough to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Listen to what you're body is telling you, what you feel comfortable with and with time will come speed

Others at other places have said as much as well, an indicator is "you should be able to talk to the person next to you as you do your gentle jog".

Did week 5 run 3 yesterday, that's 5 min walk, 20 min run and 5 min walk - was a big step up from the other two runs in week 5 - but more of the mind than the physical fitness side of things.

Thanks, but I'll not be buying yet another bit of equipment to strap onto me to see what my heart rate is whilst i'm moving is - I find it hard enough to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I wasn't suggesting you buy a bit of equipment. It was a link to instructions as to how to work out your maximum heart rate :) (which you probably know how to do already anyway!).

Back