• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Couch to 5K Podcasts

Muttley1900

Although I have been doing a fair bit of exercise (exercise bike, small amount of resistance work, kettle bells class and various aerobic classes) I have not been running.

I have never really got on with it - although I know it is a great way to burn calories and one isn't then reliant on "equipment" - so when I'm stuck in an hotel for work reasons, that doesn't have a gym, I could still do something as long as I bring my trainers along with me... I just found it such hard work, would always find myself gasping for breath and feeling sick and then having to walk all the way home again (in shame).

So, I've downloaded the NHS Choices "Couch to 5K" running programme, I'm only on week 2 at the moment, but am "loving" it.

For those of you who don't know what the programme is - it takes you through how to run over a 9 week period - 3 runs a week - with a subtle change each week.

I'm sure you intelligent ones out there know already how to get into running, and how to do it right, but for me - this has been a great introduction (so far) on how to do it. Just download the weeks run - listen to it on your phone/ipod/mp3 player as you start running and it talks you though what you need to do (e.g. 5 min brisk warm up walk... 1 minute running...90 second brisk walk...1 minute running... etc etc) with music playing too and a great "instructor" keeping the timings for you. Very very good.

I have to admit though, I'm using the running machines at my gym though (and not street/road running) as one I don't feel that confident yet, its too dark and cold out there now, but I have remembered to put the running machine on some kind of variation program so it gives me the feeling of the general "ups and downs" of street running with the inclines.

As I say, I'm only on week two as I speak, but the fact that I got past week 1 says a lot (for my past record).

If anyone is not sure about running or how to get into it - I can't say I know of a better way.

I have the couch to 10k on an app on my iPhone, I hated running but thought I should give it a go, well love it so far, hard work but I can do it :) on the lat day of week 4 so far

Well done both of you. I started a complete beginners running course back in may. Started with 30 second bursts of running. By week 12 we were supposed to be doing 3 miles non stop. I didn't manage it at week 12, but I am now. I cannot believe how much fitter I am. I am now a member of 2 local running clubs and am thinking about signing up for a 10k run in the new year. Keep it up, you will be glad u did xx

Even when I was a fit young athlete ( county swimmer and netball player) I hated running and was terrible. Last January I started the C25K programme using the free NHS downloads. I love it. Nothing else gives the same endorphin burst that running does. I'm not fast but it doesn't matter. I've been injured and then had a chest infection so I'm going to go back to the programme ( week 7 maybe) to ease myself back in. Can't wait !

B T W for those tht can't run my sister does it on her exercise bike. Seems to transkate. Worth a try.

B T W for those tht can't run my sister does it on her exercise bike. Seems to transkate. Worth a try.

Actually, I did do this a couple of times with the week 1 podcast - originally was so I could see if i could hear the instructions enough whilst exercising. But what I found was it made my 30 mins exercise bike routine more of a "spinning" class - when I was at the "now run for a minute" bits - I peddled like the clappers and then on the 90 seconds "brisk walk" section I peddled in a similar style as I normally do.

Good idea though but I don't have bike or exercise bike :-(

I'd love to do this but can't afford a gym and don't have an exercise bike don't really want to go outside doing it dont feel that confident but need to start doing something :(

Sent from my iPhone

I've just started this, done my first session yesterday, and despite going to the gym 3-4 times a week and swimming 2-3 times a week, by god my legs hurt this morning LOL its surprising the different muscles this uses lol

Just wondering how you're getting on with your programme? I got an app on my phone and I run with a zombie and I can select any of my music from itunes which is great :)

Back