• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long before you ate "normally" again?

Smallerme

I'm in the feeling sorry for myself purée zone after having to turn the bolognese I made with my 10yr old into mush. I've got my plan and I'm sticking to it, this questions not really about that as they vary so much.

For those who've been through this bit how long did it take before you felt normal again when sitting down to eat? So you take your small portion of family food and eat. Or pick something from fruit bowl and munch it without blending it up?

Was it maybe 3mths, 6mths, a year?

A good 6 months. Try and embrace this stage though as its your fastest weight loss!

Hiya, be to be honest probably 3 months for me! Im nearly 6 months out and can eat normal family food just a smaller portion than my 2 year old lol! Tho my restriction is very small!! There are some things I can't eat, bread, pizza anything too sugary- cake is a no no! But other than that I'm fine :) xx

Im told at 8 weeks I can progress onto normal food as that's when the staple line is meant to be healed and ready to have solid food. Im almost 4 weeks and im fed up of mush/puree to be honest and have spent many a time in tears feeling sorry for myself, then I remind myself that this is 8 weeks I have the rest of my life for normal food.

I'm afraid going on to 'normal' food is not the same as eating normally!

About 3 months, in a way. I only ever cooked one meal and I had very few problems. But I wouldn't have the carbs for quite some time.

I'm 6 month out and far from eating normally.
I can eat almost everything in tiny portions but I certainly do not eat normal portions.
My dinner today was 75g of baked chicken breast (with no skin) and 100g of baked turnips. And I'm full and satisfied.

I don't mean normal portions. Today I struggled to finish all of my sideplate. But I eat what my family eats rather than making seperate meals or having to do something to them. I though that's what the OP meant.

Tealovingsleever I think you're hitting the nail on the head. The progression onto normal food I expect will be slow and vary for each person as to when they're able to tolerate.

I have realistic expectation of small portion. I just think I'll be less bothered when it's small but what I'm serving the rest of the family. Does that make sense?

I don't mean normal portions. Today I struggled to finish all of my sideplate. But I eat what my family eats rather than making seperate meals or having to do something to them. I though that's what the OP meant.

Yes, that's definitely what I mean

Sorry Yve, I didn't mean to answer to your post. :eek:
I was trying to fix the difference between eating normal foods and eating normal portions.

I'm afraid going on to 'normal' food is not the same as eating normally!

You took the words off the keyboard for me lol
I'm bypassed and nearly 12 wks out. I can eat normal foods but with lots of limitations. Tonight I had a 2oz sirloin steak with mushrooms and one very, very small potato. Normal food but not a normal portion. No pudding as I dump at the drop of a hat but I had some fruit salad later on.

Tealovingsleever I think you're hitting the nail on the head. The progression onto normal food I expect will be slow and vary for each person as to when they're able to tolerate.

I have realistic expectation of small portion. I just think I'll be less bothered when it's small but what I'm serving the rest of the family. Does that make sense?

I only ever cook for me :)

I just had a chicken korma ready meal (been out all day), barely are half. Love my sleeve!!

It was 3 months for me too but as others have said there are still foods that I cannot tolerate - red meats, sugary stuff and anything that swells in the stomach, like cous cous and rice.

Hi smaller me i would say it was about 3 months for me. I now eat what my family eats just smaller portions. Except if they want pizza i struggle with that so i'll have something different.

I'd say about 3 months, too - although I'm still avoiding carbs and a few other foods which I just can't tolerate: chicken, rice and red meat unless it's very well cooked and in sauce (so a casserole rather than a steak, for example). I don't have a particularly sweet tooth so puddings etc aren't an issue for me, but I'll have half a yoghurt if I do fancy something. All my meals are now served on a side plate or a small bowl!

im eating normal foods again now but feel far from normal because of the portion size! Guess its one thing i have to just get used too x

Are we meant to be focusing on protein? I read somewhere that half our plates should be protein and then veg.

Is that so or do we just eat like well and in smaller portions?

Are we meant to be focusing on protein? I read somewhere that half our plates should be protein and then veg.

Is that so or do we just eat like well and in smaller portions?

My guidelines were to eat proteins first, then vegs and then starches. I'm normally stuffed after prots so I seldom eat starches and have veggies for snack.

Back