• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long before you ate "normally" again?

Are we meant to be focusing on protein? I read somewhere that half our plates should be protein and then veg.

Is that so or do we just eat like well and in smaller portions?

Don't know about other providers but that is very much the guidelines laid down by my dietician to me ;) x

I'm 10 weeks post sleeve. I can eat almost any foods, but only about a 60gram portion. I don't mind as I am full on that, and eat 5 or 6 times a day. A mini babybel fills me up and is my go to snack! I eat out with my family at least once a week, but I have a Tupperware pot with me, and usually share a meal with my children and just ask for an extra plate.

3 months for me, just smaller portions. I eat out on a regular basis, go into MacDonalds and eat a wrap, and I manage half.
I eat out and often get a starter as a main. I can honestly say I don't stand out, or miss out food wise. I don't look at other plates and want what they are having.
I eat Sunday dinners off a side plate and struggle to finish it, but can then eat a lot of home made soup? So it just depends. But I manage food in a positive way and eat out a lot, and enjoy it. I mainly have fish when eating out as I can manage more of it.
Best holidays are all inclusive as you can have a bit of lots of different dishes.
I wouldn't order a starter, main or desert anymore but I don't want to!
Honestly, normality returns and its like dieting, just made a bit easier. Hope this helps!

3 months for me, just smaller portions. I eat out on a regular basis, go into MacDonalds and eat a wrap, and I manage half.
I eat out and often get a starter as a main. I can honestly say I don't stand out, or miss out food wise. I don't look at other plates and want what they are having.
I eat Sunday dinners off a side plate and struggle to finish it, but can then eat a lot of home made soup? So it just depends. But I manage food in a positive way and eat out a lot, and enjoy it. I mainly have fish when eating out as I can manage more of it.
Best holidays are all inclusive as you can have a bit of lots of different dishes.
I wouldn't order a starter, main or desert anymore but I don't want to!
Honestly, normality returns and its like dieting, just made a bit easier. Hope this helps!

How do you *not* stand out having a starter as a main? My friends would think I'd gone nuts!

I do go out now an again and almost always just have a starter. I love the Duck and Orange Tostado salad starter with bbq sauce at Giraffe. That's more than plenty.....

For me it was about 12-18 weeks when I started to eat perfectly formed small meals.

I always order just a starter, no one bats an eyelid. Its quite common for people on diets, or with small appetites. If people enquire you just say you just fancy something small. Personally I dont give a monkeys what people think, lol.

For me it was about 12-18 weeks when I started to eat perfectly formed small meals. I always order just a starter, no one bats an eyelid. Its quite common for people on diets, or with small appetites. If people enquire you just say you just fancy something small. Personally I dont give a monkeys what people think, lol.

That's what I do when eating out now just a starter or a tapas style dish x

For me it was about 12-18 weeks when I started to eat perfectly formed small meals.

I always order just a starter, no one bats an eyelid. Its quite common for people on diets, or with small appetites. If people enquire you just say you just fancy something small. Personally I dont give a monkeys what people think, lol.

Lol it's not normal with my friends, wish I could get away with it.

Long before WLS my wife and I used to go on a restaurant crawl around town. In each restaurant we would have a starter and a bottle of wine then move on to the next one and do the same again. It was usually just two or three places but our best, or worst, depending how you look at it was five followed by number six for cheese and coffee. It's no wonder we were fat! The real point of this post is that nobody cares that you only have a starter, they are usually just pleased that you went at all.
I agree Victoria that it is more difficult with friends but there are many reasons you may not want to eat much and again they will just be pleased you went.

I was eating normal food but much smaller portions about 12 weeks out.

If I go out for meal with people that don't know about my surgery,I order something my husband will like and he finishes it,but if I'm out with people who know I order a childs portion.last week I had a nandos childs meal,of chicken,beans and garlic bread.I managed the chicken and some of the beans.

Heading out in a bitty to meet up with some old colleagues. This is very much a "come and see how much thinner Frances is now" meet up I think but I can live with that :D However this is the first time in 12 weeks where I have eaten out without the safety net of hubby and family around ...:eek:. Wish me luck!

Heading out in a bitty to meet up with some old colleagues. This is very much a "come and see how much thinner Frances is now" meet up I think but I can live with that :D However this is the first time in 12 weeks where I have eaten out without the safety net of hubby and family around ...:eek:. Wish me luck!

Good luck you'll be fine x x

Had a salmon salad & was fine also a couple of lattes later on :). A few dropped jaws though at my metamorphosis hehe. Love it!

What a difference a couple of weeks makes. My insides feel healed as in they feel like they belong to me again. It's obviously a very different feeling to pre-op but it's not an awful one anymore.

Food is much more normal again just in very small amounts. I can live with that. Eating more also means the exhaustion is letting up. I'm only 4.5wks out so not eating everything yet but enough variety to make me not stand out. I ate at a cafe yesterday (soup) and a friend's house earlier in the week.

For those still in the early stages hang in there, it gets easier.

What a difference a couple of weeks makes. My insides feel healed as in they feel like they belong to me again. It's obviously a very different feeling to pre-op but it's not an awful one anymore. Food is much more normal again just in very small amounts. I can live with that. Eating more also means the exhaustion is letting up. I'm only 4.5wks out so not eating everything yet but enough variety to make me not stand out. I ate at a cafe yesterday (soup) and a friend's house earlier in the week. For those still in the early stages hang in there, it gets easier.

Glad your feelng more normal again! X x

I agree with Bally: I'm 5 months out and I do forget!

My husband said recently that our neighbours and friends at our new house (100 miles away from the old house) will only ever know me as I am now (size 12/14 vs a 20). Odd thought!

6 months for me. I no longer worry guts over going out or to a friends / family member's house to eat. I always make sure I have a protein bar and a bag of nuts in my bag but otherwise I eat more or less the same as my family. Just much smaller portions and no bread, pasta etc and very little rice/ potatoes (only because they make me feel like I've been eating boulders and stuff me up so I end up not eating enough protein) not because I'm holier than thou! lol. I don't really dump but I do crash after sugar which isn't part of a meal (so can tolerate a teeny bit of pud after a Sunday dinner) but want to put my head on the table on sleep if I pick the wrong small slice of cake if out with friends for a cuppa.

Back