• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how long from beginning to end

los in it

I was wondering how long can this path take from been referral to getting on the operation table ? it seems to be different from region to region some when reading accounts appear to take just months others years! so my question is who has waited the shortest time and the longest?

thanks for that I was getting a bit carried away with people who I know that have done it letting me I will be done in a matter of months including the team at barts! its only been 6 months since I started at barts and was told I could be done by april 2014! I guess that`s doctor talk

16 months for me

Think I mustve been lucky. First seminar was in February 2013 and my surgery was August 2013.

Seems to be much easier to get funding in the north east. I'm a Londoner; moved oooop narth about 10 years ago and I know that in Bromley I probably wouldn't have got the funding.

There is a lot of preventitive work happening here so the GP's refer you straight on to the bariatric dept when they are satisfied that you've tried diets and other ways of losing. It then depends very much on you to lose the required percentage asap. I lost mine within 3 months so was put almost straight through the process. Could've done it a month quicker but I had to have an unexpected procedure after a CAT scan, so it all got delayed.

I'm curious about this too.
I'm in Kent and went to GP a few years back - that seemed to get list somewhere, then I was referred directly by sleep clinic about a year ago. I had group session at Kings in March but don't have next appt (with consultant) til October.

At session they said that would be 4-6 weeks (months more like!) then surgery in 6 months. So as that hadn't happened, I'm starting to think I could still be waiting in a couple of years.

8 Months for me, I live in the North East its so much quicker than down south, I presume its because our region is the fattest, according to recent polls. I feel bad for people having to wait so long for this often life saving operation, its so unfair.

Hi pollybree, was talking to one of the doctors about it. Apparently its cus up north the pct's have authorised funding as a preventative measure. Down south the pct's dont see it in the same way and think diet/exercise is the way forward; surgery is a last choice.

I have to say that since my surgery I'm off the diabetic meds overnight and my degenerative spine and sciatica leg are pain free within a few weeks, so it's certainly fixed me up for the time being.

They are morons, they need to up there game and accept that alot of other ilnesses are caused by obesity and give out the ops to those who need it most, I think this should be done accross the board without the north south divide

I had the op almost 2 weeks ago...initially before NICE changes it was a long 5 yr battle even tho I had co morbidities ect....since changes its taken a few weeks..

good luck jo x

Hi mine was late September 2012 to surgery 23rd April 2013, so 7 months. Staffordshire. X

Last edited:
Its been over 2 years so far for me in Cornwall :$ Been up and down to hospital appointments, group sessions etc funding agreed at about 2 year point lol have since seen surgeon and finally on waiting list which should be 18 weeks from now so all in all (if all goes to plan) 2 1/2 years in the system hope that helps :)

I went on the waiting list officially on January and had my op 12days ago. All in all it's taken me two years from very first asking my gp who first refused it so I moved to a different surgery x

mines along one, it tuck 5 1/2 years to get funding but only 6 months from getting funding untill my op date

Depends on how you look at it for me. From gp referral to surgery it was 10 months. But I did a year on Orlistat with my GP and 2 months weight management before I got to referral, so I consider it 2 years.

I was referred to weight management in jan, refered with funding in august, consultant appointment in Nov to determine next steps. So far 11 months! I'm in Kent

I was referred by my GP in Feb 2012 and had my bypass in October 2013 so, 20 months however from August 2012 -Feb 2013 I was "lost in the system" so it would have been sooner.

I'm in Leeds

Back