• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much should i eat?

msunique

I am supposed to start on the purée mush but I have no idea how much I am supposed to eat!

My problem is my body never told me when I was full until I was well and truly stuffed ( well if it did I didn't hear it!) obviously I don't want this happening again.

I am hoping to eat scrambled egg do I just have 1 and do I add milk?

Tuna fish with light salad cream or extra light Mayo how much of the tin should I have?

Also would beetroot with balsamic vinegar and Philadelphia be ok for protein?

Also cheesy mash is on the menu too. And if you have any other ideas please feel free to add them here and the quantity

I enjoyed corned beef mashed into mashed potato with gravy, cheesy mash, mashed banana....be careful with tuna a lot of people have problems with tuna and other fish early on :D XX

Ooh that sounds good too, how much is the norm?

I actually had a few teaspoons of tuna with salad cream tonight before my cheesy soup and had no probs with it :) I know I am not supposed to till Monday but I was making it for the kids and well you know the rest lol

I think everyone is different as regards amounts, I think when you are on puree you can eat quite a lot too as they are whats called slider foods. They slide easily through the pouch so dont really give you a full feeling. I used to have approx 3 tablespoons at a time I think, if you feel any restriction or pain this could be your pouch saying youve had enough. I thinks its more usual though for you to not really feel any restriction until you start to eat more dense or dry foods. I remember the dietician saying to me not to worry too much about amounts at this stage just try and concentrate on getting some protein in :D Hope this helps, its only a few months since I was at your stage but my memory is terrible lol....Im not sure if its the strokes I had or senility ;) XX

That's a great help thanks, I am so worried of doing some damage if I put too much in!

Dont worry I think you will know if you overdo things, it can make you pretty uncomfortable if you have too much at one time :D XX

Lol yes I am hoping I will up till now I haven't been very good at listening to my body

Most of us have been in that same boat over the years, it does feel very different after surgery though. Your pouch will deffinately let you know if it isnt happy :D XX

That's good to hear i need that tap on the shoulder that's says oi that's enough!!

I used to use ramekin dishes in my early stage as a good measure of portions. Muffin silcone trays are good too for freezing a ramekin size portion, freeze in the tray, then once frozen tip into freezer bags.

Trust me at that stage yr body will definately let you know if its too much. x

I have been using ramekins for angel delight portions so is that roughy the size of a meal at the mush stage?

I would assume so they generally give everyone the same size pouch!

Id say that would be a pretty good size too.....sometimes I could eat slightly more than that depending on how mushy the food was :D XX

The trick is to take bites no bigger than a pencil top rubber (really, I know it's tiny, but it works), put the spoon/fork down, chew to liquid, swallow, then wait 20-30 seconds. Stop as soon as you start to feel satisfied/uncomfortable/full, even if that involves spitting out the last mouthful or leaving some on your plate. If you follow those steps then you should avoid all trapped wind, stomach pains, and sickness. Plus, this way you don't need to worry about portion sizes as you'll be eating what's right for YOU.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I have been adding cheese to my soup, do you use half fat or normal cheese? I am using half fat as I was worried about dumping or is this not a problem?

Whilst losing use half fat, once maintaining you can look at increasing to full fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thanks shel that will take some practice lol I ate my tuna with a tea spoon and did only take small bits but I didn't wait 20 seconds but I didn't shovel it either and it went down lovely :) but I don't want bad habits so grateful for all the advice x

So full fat won't cause dumping then? How do you know how much too much fat is?

Back