• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How old were you when you took the plunge.....?

kateyloo

Hello All! I have just turned 33 and was wondering at what age people decided to turn their lives around and have WLS....? When I turned 30 I started to really long for the days where I could get on a plane without an extension belt (my sister and Mum both live in France so I fly quite a few times a year and have anxiety attacks just thinking about the belt bit!) and go to a theme park without worrying about fitting on the rides but it's taken me 2 and a bit years of soul searching before making the actual decision......

I am just wondering if age affects your weight loss/skin too - my family are very supportive of me but the one thing that crops up is the sagging skin (a small fry in the grand scheme of things I say) - does age make a difference to any of that? xx

I was 34 and the skin hasn't been too much of an issue to be honest.

At 42 I've just had my surgery, my only regret is that I did not do it years ago!

I recall first reading about "stomach stapling" when I was maybe 14, and I thought "wow, maybe I need that".

However, I seriously thought about surgery in my late 30's after I had had my children and after my weight got out of control. At 38 I looked into how I could finance it as I did not think I stood a chance on the NHS.

At 40 I spoke to a couple of GP's from my practice before a referral was made for WLS.

Except for when I was pregnant I was always too embarrased to ask for a seatbelt extension on flights, I used to just tuck the belt down the side and nod to the stewardess that it was done up.

I think age must contribute to the elasticity of the skin and the liklihood of having sagging skin, but some people just have better tone and shinkage to their skin.

Except for when I was pregnant I was always too embarrased to ask for a seatbelt extension on flights, I used to just tuck the belt down the side and nod to the stewardess that it was done up.

I'm soo glad I'm not the only one who's done this!!! :eek:

I'm 37 and wanted a band for about 2 years, but after much to and froing from my gp (who was fab and tried her best to help, however it's practically impossible to get a referral on the nhs if you don't have health problems) I decided to go private and I'm really happy I did.
As for saggy skin...for every 1lb I've lost so far my boobs have headed that little bit further south, so I think I'll have saggy skin. But it'll be much easier to hide in clothes than my original size 28 was. xx

I first emailed Mr Ammori about surgery when I was about 40....I finally had surgery at 48! I wish Id had the chance to have it done years ago....I even had my jaw wired in my twenties :eek: Seems so barbaric nowadays.
Im sure age makes a difference to how your skin acts after surgery, I will have issues with loose skin but its a small price to pay for the health benefits and feeling so much better already :D XX

I am 31 and was refered just before my 31st birthday.. i have thought about it on and off or a while but wouldn't go a head with it until my gp offered it .. it turned my my shrink did

Im 30 have wanted the surgery for sometime now but GP didnt agree with me until last year when my consultant at a london hospital recommended me for the surgery, its take me a year from being told i need to have the surgery to actually getting it done.
Im worried about the saggy sink too i have a fold on my tummy due to previous surgeries so know that wont disappear, each time ive lost weight before ive had excess sink meaning my clothes size doesnt alter that much but hope by having this surgery i will get that sorted too. xxx

i was 29 when i asked for my gp referal. i was 30 when i had my 1st gastric band op x

You are all babies.

I was 62, yes 62 and its the best thing I have ever done in my long life. Like some of you I should have done it earlier.

I feel as I have extended my life by at least 10 years if not more.

Following up on that Mary, I'm very close behind you at almost 59 ... I am now 7 weeks post up and after a few up and downs feel really good now. You have been an inspiration to me Mary, I have closely watched your progress. Do I regret having surgery so late, well yes in some respects but it really didn't cross my mind until two or three years ago when I was sick and tired of going to weight loss clubs etc., and taking three steps forward and two steps back. I am happy, losing weight, it can come off in it's own time and really happy that I had it done even thought I am older.

i'm 33, but i have been thinking about this since i was about 18 wish i had done it when i first thought of it and i wouldnt have spent the last last 15 years hating the way i looked and felt being so big x

I approached my GP last year, at the age of 31. I'm currently waiting for a decision from the MDT, and really hope I get the answer I'm looking for before my 32nd birthday next month.
xXx

Well on my analysis of your responses it definitely looks like a lot of us see the light bulb as we reach our thirties :) - but no matter what age I think everyone agrees it was the best decision ever made!

Well done everyone on their weight losses no matter what and good luck to those about to take the plunge - I look forward to sharing our experiences xxx

I'm 41 and I was referred in April 2009, but had been on the weight loss programme for a year before that.

Referred by GP for 18 months Weight management, August 2008,funding applied for February 2010, approved June 2010.Waiting for 1st appointment with surgeon.Having surgery at Spire Hospital Wirral.My 56th birthday at the end of March,so hope surgery is sometime soon!God knows I have been waiting long enough.Maz x

Back