• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I have a weird question

swizzlestick

Lifes a beach
Ok, this might seem a bit well blonde of me but what the heck happens to your stomache when you've had a bypass? I know it's still there physically, but does it like shrivel and 'die off' is it still viable tissue. What I mean is, if for example you had to have some of your eosophogus removed because of another illness would they still be able to use the stomache to reconstruct the eosophogial tract?

Ok I don't expect a full medical explaination regarding reconstruction lol the bit about what happens to the stomache will suffice :p

Xx phoebe

The remaining stomach stays inside you and is still connected to the intenstinal tract further down (it's the other arm of the Y as in Roux-en-Y) so that the gastric juices can drain out of it.

Not sure about viability for reconstruction.

It will be a viable organ as it will still have it's own blood and nerve supply - that is not changed during surgery x

Yep, it still works because sometimes it gurgles like it is having a conversation with the pouch like 'hey, are you getting any food cause I'm not, feel a bit left out!'.

Hehehehe...
Nic:D

i was told it does shrink down, even though it stays there. So less space taken up inside as well.

Glad I'm not the only one with dafty questions then hehe! thanks for all the replies. Xx Phoebe

No such thing as a daft question. Its all about being fully informed so ask away if your thinking it so is someone else, probably just not asking as they dont want to feel daft but yr amongst friends so no one minds.

I asked this question as the pre-op consultation as I was worried about the irreverability issue and trying to weigh up band vs bypass.

According to the surgeon it is possible to have bypass surgery reversed. Although very hard, I found it reassuring to know that if something really went wrong there are solutions - all be it ones that are incredibly unlikely to be considered.

Anyhows- I infer from that old tummy is still doing it's thing in the background!

Yep, it still works because sometimes it gurgles like it is having a conversation with the pouch like 'hey, are you getting any food cause I'm not, feel a bit left out!'.

Hehehehe...
Nic:D

I was about to say that, Nic. Mine is very vocal and protests something crazy when I've eaten! I find myself apologizing for it!

Back