• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ice Cream post bypass

fuze

Does anyone know what kind of ice cream is ok after the bypass?? My little book from the hospital says low fat ice cream is ok during liquid phase but I cant find one with a low enough sugar. I can find low fat but not one low enough in sugar! I just wanted to have something a little different!

most things low fat are high in sugar I have chocolate twisters they are yummy for a fix

Hi Fuze, it is quite early days for you at the moment. When on fluids it's best to stick to that. You can make ice lollies from 100% fruit juice. It is a good way to get fluids in. maybe an a few weeks you could try mini-milk, and I have just recently tried skinny cow. It isn't the fat content that you have to be careful of - although obviously it's important to be aware of fat content and not over-do it to get maximum weight loss in the early days. You must be aware of added sugar content. I also bought 100% fruit juice ice lollies which went down a treat. Advice to me was to keep below 5% per 100 grams. I've stuck to that and so far haven't experienced 'Dumping' which I'm very glad about. x x

I have the skinny cow ice lollies (and did in the early days too) occasionally and they are fine for me, and I'm a sensitive dumper. I have had mini milk too, and walls light ice cream.

For those who can tolerate Skinny Cow chocolate ice lols do allow those people who need a chocolate fix to have one - good flavour, but also some texture because they have small chocolate chips.
Remember though - although only 80 or so calories, they (and other ice creamy stuff) are a luxury to ensure good weight loss especially in the early days! x x

Hiya Fuze - I had mini-milks & skinny cow ice creams from week 1 and the dietitian said they were ok - only I was having one daily and realised I was in danger of slipping into bad habits - replacing soup with one so I cut them out and may have one a fortnight now. The mint & choc skinny cows are devine! The pink mini-milks made me dump...that was bizarre!:D

I can manage any type of ice cream which is nice - don't have it often but it is a nice treat xx

Hey guys thanks for the advice. The only reason I was asking is because it says on my little list from the surgeon that I am allowed low fat ice cream and I have just been sticking to thin soups, protein shakes, milk and SF juice daily and I just wanted to know incase I fancied something a little different. I had heard people had been having the skinny cow ones but I was unsure if these would be ok as I have been sticking religiously to less than 5g of sugar per 100g (not total carbs just the sugar) and all the low fat ice cream I could find had much more sugar than this. I am scared incase it makes me dump! (im also scared that sweet things wont make me dump also so I have just been avoiding them all together as I really hope I do dump so it is a deterrent in the long term!- but anyway that is separate issue)

But anyway thank you guys so much for your help and support and your replies!

You could always get an ice cream maker and follow some of Nics recipes with added protein powder, that way ice cream becomes a good thing :)

I have Franks diabetic ice cream from Tescos, it's lush:p

Back