• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

In Agony

Mrs Quiggle

I've been in pain since Sunday. I had a crumpet for supper with a piece of cheese and could feel a bit of wind burbling around then but nothing too unusual. On Monday morning I had a definite case of trapped wind, lots of stomach pain in the stomach area just below the ribs rather than in the intestines and burping etc. Every time I eat it gets even worse. On Monday night it was still really bad and I went to A&E because I started to worry incase it was something to do with my bypass instead of wind. They took 2 blood tests, and took both chest and stomach x-rays incase there was a blockage but there was nothing. I'd explained that I believed it was trapped wind but thought I'd better come in just incase because of the bypass and they were really good and said I did the right thing.

On Tuesday it was still bad and I only ate 3 rich tea biscuits throughout the day and some milk and I was ok but in the evening I at a little chicken and mushroom pie filling and some peas and the pain came back big time again. I've still got it this morning and don't know what to do about it. I've taken some Culpermin which is peppermint oil and my husband takes them for IBS but they've done nothing. Will get some Buscopan today which they gave me in the hospital though they didn't do much.

Has anyone else had this. What do gal stones feel like, I'm beginning to wonder if it could be this. I am burping like a navvy but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the pain. I've had trapped wind before but it only ever lasts a day never this long.

Any advice very welcome.

Love Kate x

Hi Kate,

I've mentioned before on posts I'm a regular sufferer of wind pains,the best way to describe the pain..is a bit like stabbing pains and it hurts when breathing.
I've mentioned it to a consultant and my gp and I've been given buscopan.
They don't always work,just sometimes...
Wind was something I never suffered from before my bypass.

I have gallstones and when I have a episode, iv never felt pain like it. It comes on the right hand side just below your breast bone and the pain goes through to your back. I always feel like my food is stuck in the middle too. It hurts when I lie down and the only way I can describe it is like your body is compressing against ur organs, they only way I found any relief was to rock back and forwards or lean over the banister or have a bath. I also felt sick and would get hot and clammy when having a episode, I would feel ill for days. I hope u feel better soon

Gall stones are agony, I had my gall bladder removed last year. The pain is on your right side just under your boob. The pain can travel up and over your shoulder and down your back. My attacks sometimes lasted 2-3 hours.

I find heat helps, use a hot water bottle or one of those heat bags in the microwave. No pain killer use to help.

The weidest thing is since the gall bladder removal I have had 2 attacks exactly the same as before - after doing research on line it turns out its quite common !!!!!

I do wish you well x

speaking as someone who had gall stones removed last week it sounds like it could be an episode of this, they are mostly made up of cholesterol and rapid weight loss is a very common reason why they happen, as everyone says it's a pain right hand side mine was like a hot burning type and can go on for ages and sweats etc all go along with it xx 95% of weight loss procedures end up with gall bladder removal and my siurgeon says they really should be taken out at the time of the op because it is very rare they don't cause problems xx hope you are ok soon take care

Hope you feel better soon xxx

Hi kate
I wouldnt normally advise to look up your symptoms on the internet but the NHS website is good. Just type in gall stones symptoms and see what comes up.
I take it you went up St heliers and you would hope the x rays would have shown up gall stones, not sure if its a different kind of scan for this?
Back to the docs tomorrow if no improvement and i hope it eases off for you, just what you dont need so close to christmas!!

Kim

Hi kate
I wouldnt normally advise to look up your symptoms on the internet but the NHS website is good. Just type in gall stones symptoms and see what comes up.
I take it you went up St heliers and you would hope the x rays would have shown up gall stones, not sure if its a different kind of scan for this?
Back to the docs tomorrow if no improvement and i hope it eases off for you, just what you dont need so close to christmas!!

Thanks Lovely. I went to St. Georges after debating the walk in centre at the Wilson but felt it better to go to Tooting as they know more about bariatrics there.

The pain goes all the way from under my ribs down to my belly button and I've got no pain in my back or shoulder to speak of. I would also have thought that gall stones would have shown up on an x-ray. I've been to the chemist again today and brought some Windeze and I took 3 instead of 2 but no relief yet. I'm drinking gallons of peppermint tea too. :( Hope it goes soon, makes you feel miserable.

Kate x

I've been in pain since Sunday. I had a crumpet for supper with a piece of cheese and could feel a bit of wind burbling around then but nothing too unusual. On Monday morning I had a definite case of trapped wind, lots of stomach pain in the stomach area just below the ribs rather than in the intestines and burping etc. Every time I eat it gets even worse. On Monday night it was still really bad and I went to A&E because I started to worry incase it was something to do with my bypass instead of wind. They took 2 blood tests, and took both chest and stomach x-rays incase there was a blockage but there was nothing. I'd explained that I believed it was trapped wind but thought I'd better come in just incase because of the bypass and they were really good and said I did the right thing.

On Tuesday it was still bad and I only ate 3 rich tea biscuits throughout the day and some milk and I was ok but in the evening I at a little chicken and mushroom pie filling and some peas and the pain came back big time again. I've still got it this morning and don't know what to do about it. I've taken some Culpermin which is peppermint oil and my husband takes them for IBS but they've done nothing. Will get some Buscopan today which they gave me in the hospital though they didn't do much.

Has anyone else had this. What do gal stones feel like, I'm beginning to wonder if it could be this. I am burping like a navvy but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the pain. I've had trapped wind before but it only ever lasts a day never this long.

Any advice very welcome.

Love Kate x

Sorry to hear about your pain Kate...sorry i can't help hun:hug99:
Take care

Andy xx

I've had gallstones, too, and I agree with previous posters that the pain is truly awful. I think they would show up on an X-Ray - mine were revealed by a scan.

No expert here but severe pain of the type you describe is sometimes caused by an ulcer. Ulcer pain is described as 'agonising' and such pain needs to be urgently checked-out. The bacterium H-Pilori is often to blame for peptic ulcers - I think they are treated with antibiotics.

Since ulcers can sometimes lead to peritonitis (which can be fatal) you might be well advised to go back to A & E and ask to be checked out for a possible ulcer. If you've done this already, sorry! I haven't read the entire thread.

Whatever you do, hun, don't neglect this symptom. Leave no stone unturned. Good luck x

i had gallstones before gastric bypass and mine showed on ultra sound not xray when i got an attack it would go into my chest one time thought i was getting heart attack could last from 30 mins to 2 hours and when pain went i actually felt v sore inside afterwards for couple hours

Hi Kate, I had my gall bladder out a week ago and it sounds like it to me! Mine never showed up on an CT scan or xray but they did on a ultrasound scan, I had "well over 20" stones!! I ate a coctail sausage roll last night and the same pain flared up again! I thought it would be gone for good :( Hope you get it sorted soon. x

Thanks everyone. I've still got it (Thursday) and it's constant, doesn't come and go. I've been burping loads since I started walking around this morning and I'm really hoping it's wind not gall stones. I can feel it and sometimes hear it moving around so fingers crossed. It is much worse when I eat something. The good news is that I've gone down to 9st 13 and I havn't seen a 9 on the scales since I was at school 31 years ago :)

Kate x

Well done with the weight Kate,seriously though I hope you manage to get some answers to your tummy problems soon.x

Congratulations on seeing the 9 stones again!!! wow you must feel so pleased about that, but also fed up with all your tummy pain. Really hope you get to the bottom of it and find something to sort it out..
xx

Well done on exceeding your target Kate, but what a painful way to do it! Fingers crossed it is wind, as you don't want to be stuck in hospital for Christmas.

hope u feel better soon, wetherspoons is waiting lol x take care x

I've had gall bladder out too and to be honest I would be surprised if its that due to the constant pain you've had. I could keep my pain under control by eating non fat foods and I'm sure you haven't been eating anything like that. Get to the docs or speak to your team as you can't go on like this. I just hope if it turns out to be a bad case of wind your not anywhere public :) take care and let the experts find the cause.

Thanks everyone. I've still got it (Thursday) and it's constant, doesn't come and go. I've been burping loads since I started walking around this morning and I'm really hoping it's wind not gall stones. I can feel it and sometimes hear it moving around so fingers crossed. It is much worse when I eat something. The good news is that I've gone down to 9st 13 and I havn't seen a 9 on the scales since I was at school 31 years ago :)

Kate x

See your GP - if it's gallbladder problems it would show up in blood tests. If its something else, best get it checked out anyway.

Hope you feel better soon and congrats on the 9!

Back