• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is a Gastric Bypass right for me

Fat Again

Here go's
I used to weigh 30 stone, I lost 19 stone using a combination of diets eventually using Lighter Life / Cambridge Diet. I was in newspapers, magazines and also got invited onto several tv shows (although I never went - I bottled it).

I applied for Extreme Makeover UK to have all my excess skin removed and got chosen. Cut a long story short on the morning of my my first surgery I passed out and come off the show. I had an upper arm lift in 2007 on the NHS. I was due to have a tummy tuck and breast reconstruction too but decided against further surgery as I wanted a baby.

I had my beautiful baby boy in December

Im so ashamed to admit this but im now 21 stone and my weight is increasing weekly. I've tried to diet, using all the diets I successfully used before, but to no avail.

Im daily taken the mickey out of for being so fat and don't know if I can go through it again, my life was hell before I lost weight and Im heading back there !!!

I need to do something drastic for my baby boy, there's no way I want to be the fat mum at the school gates everyone pokes fun out, it would make my sons life a living hell.

I requested a gastric bypass on the NHs - my PCT turned me down flat - apparantly Im not fat enough and not ill enough (THANKS) so my only option is to get a loan out and have it done private. I am interested in going with a company called WLS, the Weight Loss Surgery Group, it costs £9000.00. Problem is Im a chicken and tend to bottle out of operations, especially when I've just read a story in a womens magazine this week of a young mum dying after her bypass.

Can anyone shed a light on this op for me, especially if you have had yours through WLS Group.

Sorry to waffle on, it feels good to get it off my chest though.

xxxx

Hiya :welcome:

I dont know about the gastric bypass, im a bander but I just wanted to welcome you to minis, someone will be along soon im sure to help you, also its down to your eating habits as to which op you go for, bypass is normally for grazers, sweet tooth etc banders is for people who have problems with portion sizes

Kate x

Hi Fat Again

Firstly change that name - you need something positive!

How awful for you to lose all that weight and then put it back on again - however its so common for this to happen. Us horribly overweight people have so many complex mental issues regarding our eating habits and our relationship with food that diets alone are just not enough.

I was lucky enough to have my bypass in April via the NHS and thus far have lost 6stone 8lbs. I still have another 6 1/2 stone to go before Im happy with myself but Im well on the way and I dont regret a second of it.

Have you researched the operations available vis a vis your eating habits? It could be that you may do very well with a band or the bypass is the way forward for you. Having a bypass is like having aversion therapy - if you eat anything with a high sugar content, you are ill, if you eat too much, you are ill, if you eat something too fatty, you are ill etc etc. It is reversable but the Docs wont tell you that - it is to be thought of as a life changing choice for so many reasons - the foods you will no longer be able to eat - although that does change over time - the fact that you will never again be able to have a three course meal, the fact that you wont be able to eat and drink at the same time, the fact you will have to take vitamin supplements for the rest of your life - the list goes on. On the plus side (which is huge!!!), tiny amounts of food make you feel full, your weight loss is rapid if you follow the rules and whilst you can put some of it back on if you are not careful, you wont end up back at the starting point that you are at now.

Its a big big thing to undertake but speaking personally, I am thrilled with the progress I have made so far.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to take - Im sorry your PCT turned you down, you could think about appealing their decision.

Hi

Although I can't offer much advise on what to do I have been down the road that you are going down now. I am at my heaviest of 16.5 stone and have tried every diet known to woman! I have lost all the weight with lighterlife and have put more back on. I have decided that I can't face the prospect of having to battle with my weight and food for the rest of my life. I have took out a loan (my nhs rejected me cos I'm not heavy enough) and have my first appointment on wednesady with Mr Ammori at Manchester. He is a great surgeon with a fantastic reputation hence the reason why I am travelling from Edinburgh to Manchester just to meet with him.

I had previously been told that because I was a sweet eater then a band would be no good for me. However if the problem if the amount you are eating at meal times then the band would probably work well for you.

Good luck with whatever option you chose and if you want to chat get in touch.

Andrea x

Hiya
I had my surgery through the WLS group, as did a few others on here.

I would recommend them, they are a good team although I don't think the aftercare is as good as on the NHS.

Best thing to do is give them a call for a chat.

Good luck, and welcome

Rx

Only you can decide by a combination of talking to a consultant/Doctor and making the decision for you.

You've obviosuly had a tough time and your body must be in turmoil so be proactive and positive!

Congratulations on your child :D

Hi Fat AgAIN
Welcome to minis and i agree with Caroline change your name first you have been through a lot and like most of us on here we have all put on weight that we lost previously. You have done really well going from 30 stone to 19 and now you are still 9 stone lighter than you were. Please don't beat yourself up you are now wanting to do something about it. I had my bypass done privately 5 weeks ago and have lost 32lbs so far and it may seem drastic but that's what i needed and i'm so glad i went through with it. I'm like Andrea i travelled from Glasgow to Manchester to get Mr Ammori too. You will get lots of help and support on here so it's good to have you on board xx Andrea good luck for Wednesday let us know how you get on x sorry also forgot to say congratulations on the birth of your lovely baby boy x

I went with WLSG, you will be in safe hands :)

Book a consultation, it's free, and they will help choose the surgery that is right for you.

xxx

Thanks Guys

I just want to thank you all for your kind messages and yes I will change my name - good idea.

I think a bypass is the answer considering what I've read, I binge eat and have a very sweet tooth.

I'll keep you inford of my decision but I think I will definately make an appointment for a consulation next month. Watch this space.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi F.A., I think most of us recognise the crushing despair of yo-yo dieting - I was once Slimming World "slimmer of the Year" in my region. HA!

I think being very obese has physiological as well as psychological differences to being merely overweight. I'm a bander and can't advise you but I'm glad you are seeking support from the lovely people here x

Hiya,
Just wanted to welcome you to minis,
You will get lots of help and support here.
I had a Gastric Bypass last December and I am 5lbs past my goal already losing nearly 7st. Its the best thing i have ever done and have had No problems what so ever.
I went private with www.healthierweight.co.uk They were brilliant and I can Highly reccomend them, I also Had Mr Ammori He is very well know and an excellent surgeon.
What ever you decide I wish you the very best of luck on your weightloss journey.

Consultation booked

Wey hey, im exicited my consultation is on Sunday 4th October and I can't wait - this is really going to happen now !!!!
Thanks for all your comments and advice, I'll definately be back and keep you all updated.

Wey hey, im exicited my consultation is on Sunday 4th October and I can't wait - this is really going to happen now !!!!
Thanks for all your comments and advice, I'll definately be back and keep you all updated.

Are you using WLSG?

xxx

well done FA for taking that first step thats the hardest one,im a yo yo deter i must hae lost and gained myself many times lol, im having a bypass with mr ammori on 19th oct. and so excited bt trified too. i decided on bypass because if i could cheat i would sounds bad but a new born baby has more willpower thn me, so i definatly think a band is not for me . congratulations on your little boy and good luck on wat you decide..........kath x

Fantastic news FA. All the best with your journey :) you will make it and the weight will stay off this time xxx

well done FA for taking that first step thats the hardest one,im a yo yo deter i must hae lost and gained myself many times lol, im having a bypass with mr ammori on 19th oct. and so excited bt trified too. i decided on bypass because if i could cheat i would sounds bad but a new born baby has more willpower thn me, so i definatly think a band is not for me . congratulations on your little boy and good luck on wat you decide..........kath x

Thanks for your kind words and good luck with your surgery, I will be looking out for your posts to find out how it goes. x

Back