• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is dieting easier/harder? 2 1/2 yrs since bypass

emma-louise

my new life!!
This may sound a stupid question..
Since I'm a long Termer now,I been maintaining for around a year now.
I'm so really wanting to get my last 2 stone off in the new year to get into the 9 stone mark.
I have gained a couple of lbs so wondering..is it easier to diet now after a bypass and your long term?

I don't know, but good luck xx

Has anyone felt the need to lose a little more weight after going into maintain mode?
And was it easy or harder to lose this time now you've armed with your 'tool'

I have only been maintaining for a fairly short while so not really qualified to answer from experience. However I would have thought that it partly depends on your eating habits.

For instance I was a large eater of everything so obviously now I cannot physically eat so much, but I also liked sweet foods and as I don't dump I can still eat these.

If I was trying to lose a bit more I know that my old eating habits of huge meals are no longer a possibility so would assume it would be a bit easier now than it was before as I would not feel so hungry? But the self discipline still comes in by having to control/stop any foods that are not good for a post-opper.

I know when I went to the top of my allowed level of weight (my own) I just cut back on the fatty/sugary foods and lost the 2 or 3 lbs straight away.

Sorry have not been of much help really, just my thoughts on your question!

Thanks Jane,

Your answers make a great deal of sense,
As I'm 2 and a half years(almost)since my bypass.
At the start of my bypass I couldnt eat anything fatty or sugary without feeling sick and dumping.
Now the longer I'm post op,my body has adjusted and I can eat some sugary/fatty things but in moderation(I know my limits before dumping).
I suppose I'm just wanting to get to my 'ideal' for my height,which is another 2 stone.
I still feel as though I should have done better than I have.
Silly...as my consultant was pleased with my weightloss.
I did start out at size 24/26 and now I'm 12.
I know I've gained a little and scared if I'm honest,I do not want to go back to that big person,I didn't go through this surgery to get big again,the longer term you are it's gets harder and harder.

I did start out at size 24/26 and now I'm 12
That is fantastic Emma and much the same as me, although I was probably more a 26/28 and wear a 12 in most things now. I am lucky in that I have got to an ideal bmi and a weight that I feel happy at.

Sometimes the weight you are should only really be seen as a number and not as the bee all and end all. Being a size 12 is a smaller size than a huge chunk of the population and you have done really, really well.

How much have you gained? Why not go back to recording everything you eat so you are really keeping track of what you are putting in your mouth? I know that helps me when I struggle.

There is no reason at all to go back to the size you were and the fact that you are aware of the possibility of putting on too much weight means that you are already half way there.

Are you happy with how you look now? Losing another 2 stone seems quite a lot when you are already wearing a size 12. Just my thoughts anyway, and at the end of the day only you know where you want to be.

Have you tried the five day pouch test to get proper restriction back, assuming that you are not feeling this now.

Hi Emma I have no answer as I am a year behind you really so can understand the question, it is my worst fear of going back to what I once was, never want that to happen. I can eat small amounts of things without dumping, then a little bit more wil;l cause dumping, like you sya its learning our limits. I wanted to ask have you suffered with heartburn? I had aterrible bout the other day put it down to having wine 3 days on the trot. Took ranitidine tablets and chewable tabs but didnt go away till following morning. Have had nothing to drink since n have beencareful wiv wot have eaten since then but is settled now. am hoping to have drinks for new years eve so fingers x. xx I still have couple of stone to lose well they would say 3 Ithink 1 would be low enough without me looking ill, struggling on. It is guna be a life long struggle but we always knew that, just have to be here to support one another xx

Hi again,

My restriction is very good,so feel I shouldn't do the pouch test.
Being 5.1 I should be around 9 1/2 -10 stone and I lasted weighed at 11.10.
So I really want to lose another 2 stone..I know for sure I don't drink enough fluid,this has always been a tough one for me for years.
I feel like a tit to be honest!
I'm a size 12 and should be happy!
But I feel like I need to do better and still feel big.

Hi Emma I have no answer as I am a year behind you really so can understand the question, it is my worst fear of going back to what I once was, never want that to happen. I can eat small amounts of things without dumping, then a little bit more wil;l cause dumping, like you sya its learning our limits. I wanted to ask have you suffered with heartburn? I had aterrible bout the other day put it down to having wine 3 days on the trot. Took ranitidine tablets and chewable tabs but didnt go away till following morning. Have had nothing to drink since n have beencareful wiv wot have eaten since then but is settled now. am hoping to have drinks for new years eve so fingers x. xx I still have couple of stone to lose well they would say 3 Ithink 1 would be low enough without me looking ill, struggling on. It is guna be a life long struggle but we always knew that, just have to be here to support one another xx

Hi chrisa,
No heartburn just tummy rumbles as you know..lol
I don't drink alcohol at all now cant be bothered with it.
I have slipped back to sugar in my coffee though.

If you still feel you need to lose more weight and are not happy as you are then go for it.

Try giving yourself say three days of being really, really strict (and that includes drinking enough water!) and going back to basics so you eat your protein first and no drinking within half an hour of meals. Try and have protein for snacks.

See how you go with that. By making it just three days it won't be so hard for you to stick to. Then once you have done the three days maybe have a day when you are not quite to strict then another three or four days.

Please don't beat yourself up about wanting to lose more weight, we are all different and have different goals and aims, and if you feel another two stone is what you should lose then give it a good go and see how you go.

I take sugar in coffee and always have done. Pre op I drank tea, but I cannot stomach this now for some odd reason, so have five or six mugs of coffee a day with suger and marvel added to boost the protein. When I struggle with protein I do have a protein drink made with semi skimmed milk and this really boosts the protein levels for the day.

Do you use My Fitness Pal or another similar site? I have always found this good for logging my intake so I can see how I am doing with my protein levels.

If you still feel you need to lose more weight and are not happy as you are then go for it.

Try giving yourself say three days of being really, really strict (and that includes drinking enough water!) and going back to basics so you eat your protein first and no drinking within half an hour of meals. Try and have protein for snacks.

See how you go with that. By making it just three days it won't be so hard for you to stick to. Then once you have done the three days maybe have a day when you are not quite to strict then another three or four days.

Please don't beat yourself up about wanting to lose more weight, we are all different and have different goals and aims, and if you feel another two stone is what you should lose then give it a good go and see how you go.

I take sugar in coffee and always have done. Pre op I drank tea, but I cannot stomach this now for some odd reason, so have five or six mugs of coffee a day with suger and marvel added to boost the protein. When I struggle with protein I do have a protein drink made with semi skimmed milk and this really boosts the protein levels for the day.

Do you use My Fitness Pal or another similar site? I have always found this good for logging my intake so I can see how I am doing with my protein levels.

No don't use fitness pal,as I don't want to start calorie counting and getting on the scales everyday,as I start becoming obsessed.
I suppose I'm just going through a tough patch at minute at home with family,and let things slip.

Why not try the group support of WW or Slimming World?
This may give you the boost you need, and both are free registration at the moment.

Why not try the group support of WW or Slimming World?
This may give you the boost you need, and both are free registration at the moment.

I've done both of these clubs when I was a whale.
And they aren't my cup of tea at all,I'm gonna have to give myself a kick up the a*** and realise I've not replumbed my insides for nothing.

Thanks Emma, i donot drink any where near what i used to even wine if i have it usually with lemonade lasts longer n cheaper. I usually have alcohol once a fortnight jus been 3 nights in a row with beeing Christmas. if i have vodka found it easier for me if i hav it with lemonade rather than coke doesnt hurt my tummy. I am still slowly losing weight have lost a pound each week over the last fortnight, hope it doesn't catch up this week on Thurs when I get weighed. Have tried really hard with food and lots of dancing for exercise. Tried to keep my diet as right as I can but with a few treats thrown in. xx

Hi Emma, like you I cannot calorie count/ww/slimming world without getting obsessed. You don't mention exercise - sometimes changing the exercise you're doing might help shake you out of a plateau. Also you can up the protein and fluids and lower the carbs of course.

Morning Emma

Can only answer from my own experience which is its just the same as pre-op for me. I always found it was a head thing that determined whether or not I was succesful in a 'diet'. If my head was in the right place I would do it if not well I didn't. The same still applies for me. The pouch rules help with your feelings of restriction so are a place to start and I'm sure you know those. However your head will be your success tool. You sound as if you want to do the last pounds and if you really do want it you will do it.

That's not questioning you in any way just my theory is we all need to determine just how much we want anything to be succesful in pursuing it. For a real life example my brother has 2 trainees at work they both started on the same day and they both undertook distance learning courses to get their accountancy qualifications. One girl is a single parent of 2 and has done the courses and qualified in the minimum time possible despite having to stay up to do her coursework and study after the kids went to bed etc but she really wanted the higher pay to give her and her kids as better life that the qualifications could bring her and the satisfaction of maximising her opportunity. The other girl is single, lives at home, took one exam and passed but can't 'find the time' to do the course, did she really want it??? Yes but not enough to put herself out at all. Her choice of course.

So if you really want this Emma you will do it. It may be slow because it is as we get further out and there is always the danger that your body may tell you it is done but try. I am going to settle down to losing a little more myself as I had a few pounds jump back on board after Xmas. If you want to do a joint thread for some of us long termers that are watching the pounds for whatever reason then I will be happy to join in with you to start it off. I'm taking a break from thread starting myself at the mo for various reasons but will happily join in.

Good luck you can do this

M

Back