• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just an outlet for all my questions and worries

NorthamptonGirl

Ok, hi all. Please bear with me, this could be a long post!

http://www.wlsurgery.com/introduce-yourself-here/156734-newbie-so-many-questions.html

^ That's my introduction post which gives you the gist of where I am.

There are so many questions I have and so many thoughts/feelings regarding this whole situation.. I'm just going to start anywhere.

--------------------------------------------------------
So now I've pretty much decided that I am going to go private, assuming I can find the money.

I am 27 years old, and my BMI is 63. Even jsut typing that makes me hate myself!! Where did it all go so wrong!!

Anyway, based on that I assume it is the Gastric Bypass that I would be needing?

How safe is it????
I work in an office.. How long would I need to be off work?
Can you still drink alcohol? (just on special occasions!)
How long would I be in hospital?
Is there any effect on fertility by having these procedures?
How often would I have to go back?

I'm sure I will think of more, but I am at work now so will leave it there!

I thank you all in advance :thankyou:

hi sam with that bmi i would def try nhs first

i am 2 weeks post bypass tomorrow as with any surgery there are risks
work sorry cant answer that one i dont work
alcohol again cant answer i have been tee total 9 years and counting
the stay is 1 or 2 nights depending on how your doing
fertility again no clue sorry
its a 2 year follow up with all the procedure usually every 3 months but some have telephone consults rather than face to face i hope this helps at least a little

Ok, hi all. Please bear with me, this could be a long post! http://www.wlsurgery.com/introduce-yourself-here/156734-newbie-so-many-questions.html ^ That's my introduction post which gives you the gist of where I am. There are so many questions I have and so many thoughts/feelings regarding this whole situation.. I'm just going to start anywhere. -------------------------------------------------------- So now I've pretty much decided that I am going to go private, assuming I can find the money. I am 27 years old, and my BMI is 63. Even jsut typing that makes me hate myself!! Where did it all go so wrong!! -------------------------------------------------------- Anyway, based on that I assume it is the Gastric Bypass that I would be needing? How safe is it???? I work in an office.. How long would I need to be off work? Can you still drink alcohol? (just on special occasions!) How long would I be in hospital? Is there any effect on fertility by having these procedures? How often would I have to go back? -------------------------------------------------------- I'm sure I will think of more, but I am at work now so will leave it there! I thank you all in advance :thankyou:

Hi I'm almost 2 years post bypass now and it's the best thing I've ever done. As with all surgery there is a risk of complications. I think (but don't quote me) the risk for bypass is 2%. Your provider should go though this with you though, when you chose one.

I was off work for 3 months, but I work with stroke patients so it's quite heavy and physically active. Working in an office, I'd say about 3/4 weeks. But again your provider will advise you.

You'll be in hospital for 2-4 days. Fertility usually increases with weight loss. I was advised not do drink alcohol for 12 months post op and stuck to that advice. I now have the occasional drink, but get very drunk quickly.

Follow up is different for private patients I think. I go back every 6 months for a check up. The best advice I can give you is do as much research on all the procedures and pick the one that suits your eating habits the best. Find out as much as you can. Hope this helps :)

Ok, hi all. Please bear with me, this could be a long post!

http://www.wlsurgery.com/introduce-yourself-here/156734-newbie-so-many-questions.html

^ That's my introduction post which gives you the gist of where I am.

There are so many questions I have and so many thoughts/feelings regarding this whole situation.. I'm just going to start anywhere.

So now I've pretty much decided that I am going to go private, assuming I can find the money.

I am 27 years old, and my BMI is 63. Even jsut typing that makes me hate myself!! Where did it all go so wrong!!

Anyway, based on that I assume it is the Gastric Bypass that I would be needing?

How safe is it????
I work in an office.. How long would I need to be off work?
Can you still drink alcohol? (just on special occasions!)
How long would I be in hospital?
Is there any effect on fertility by having these procedures?
How often would I have to go back?

I'm sure I will think of more, but I am at work now so will leave it there!

I thank you all in advance :thankyou:

Hi...first...don't hate yourself. Second...u r making a bid decision...yes there are risks, but end result is worth it.
I had two weeks off work...three days in hospital...I'm 4 weeks post op lost 34 lbs. I was a drinker, but loosing weight is more important. My provider said I can drink after 6 months but 1 drink will make me pissed very quickly.
I jad a by pass and find it hard to even fancy food. I'm on solids now, but only want healthy stuff...the thought of fat food and dumping scares me shitless.

Sorry for such a quick answer but didn't want to read and run.

Please don't hate yourself. You can't change the past. You can live IN the present. You can live FOR the future. Forget the past and concentrate on them xx

How safe is it???? I'm not sure of exact stats but I'd say its a darn site safer than being morbidly obese like I was in November last year

I work in an office.. How long would I need to be off work? I think that depends I had no post op pain at all didn't take any pain killers I went back to work on the following Tuesday after my op the previous Friday, but I work from home, if I needed to leave the house I'd have taken a week off
Can you still drink alcohol? (just on special occasions!) I am 5 months post op and I have the occasional tipple

How long would I be in hospital? I was in for 2 nights
Is there any effect on fertility by having these procedures?, We have several bypassers that have had children/that are pregnant
How often would I have to go back? Not sure what this means?

Princess - I am still trying the NHS route, I'm just worried about how long it's going to take. Thanks for the rest of the advice :)

Paula - Thanks for this I was thinking I would probably need about 2 weeks off work. 6 monthly check ups sound good :)

Slimby - Well done with your weight loss so far :) Loosing weight is way more important than having a drink, I was just thinking about Christmas/parties etc and just being able to have one. Not wanting to eat sounds like a good thing to be honest!

Lincs lass - Thank you :)

Butterfly - Thank you for all those answers. All I meant by the last question was how often would the follow ups be, but someone has already answered that for me :)

xxxxx

Im more than happy to meet for coffee and a chat and answer any questions I can if you would like at some future date it is a daunting process I wouldnt have got through it without this forum and a couple of friends who had been there before me

Im more than happy to meet for coffee and a chat and answer any questions I can if you would like at some future date it is a daunting process I wouldnt have got through it without this forum and a couple of friends who had been there before me

hi hun,

thank you for this!

i am going for my first private meeting this saturday - i will get back to you after that! :)

good luck for the appointment

Back