• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

loose skin

purrdreamz

Hi all i have started my journey to weight loss and been on the liquid diet now on refeed diet awaiting op dates.
My question is since i have started loosing weight my skin is really loose and it now hangs i am worried about when i have the op what happens to all the loose bits. :confused:

Dont know how much truth there is to it but i read this article the other day that said basically you should keep dieting, exercising and building your muscle mass back up untill all the loose skin has gone.

It kind of sounds logical but then if the loose skin is empty not sure how its going to tighten up or disappear.

Thats what i was thinking, i don't have that much at the moment but i know it will happen, maybe i need to join the gym again.

I'm still pre-op so haven't gone through that yet. Unfortunately I think everyone will end up with loose skin, to varying degrees. Because we end up losing weight so quickly our skin takes a while to catch up. I think factors like starting weight, age and genetics are all things that will determine how much loose skin you end up with. Exercising and moisturising is meant to help, aswell as keeping your fluid uptake up nice and high!!!

Hope this helps!! If you look under the search bit of the site, there are LOTS of posts about loose skin.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

I have terrible skin and connective tissue

As I've lost the weight - the loose skin has had stages of hanging then seems to shrink back itself

I did an exercise programme a couple of years back and one of the trainers told me that it is possible to exercise and not have loose skin

Having more clothes choice means there are loads of ways to cover up any saggy bits lol

Angela

a friend of mine list 5 stone on sw and she showed me her belly it was like elephant skin and saggy. She was 22 and was in her nigtie and her dad thought she had her handbag under her nightie. I have no idea if she ever had anything done or if it went as i lost touch but it shows any quick weight loss will cause this lose skin.
I will carry on at the gym and hope for teh best I just hope after all teh weight has gone the skin doesnt bring on a whole new set of image problems.
I have also heard that if your bmi rmains teh same for 2 years nhs will look into an apronsectomy (think thats a tummy tuck)
Helen
x

Hi
I think, and this is my opinion only, that if you have a considerable amount of weight to lose you will end up with some degree of loose skin. I've lost just over 12 stones and although its not as bad as I thought it may be, I do have quite a bit. Mainly on my upper arms (my bingo wings!) they are literally like wings now and hang quite bad. But the shape of them has improved dramatically so in a top that covers them you can't really tell.
My 'middle' tummy and my stomach do have some overhang and a bit of wrinkling but again, in clothes you can't see that. The inside of my thighs are pretty loose too and wobbly but again, in trousers they have a reasonable shape.
I've been doing exercise (swimming, walking etc) and although it's helped with the shape of some areas its not helped the skin to tone up.
The loose skin has become more noticable for me since i hit around 13 stone. However saying that it's not a massive deal for me. Would rather have the loose skin which can be hidden than be the size I was before when the skin was filled out with fat. All I can say really is to do your exercise, slap on the body lotion once or twice a day and hope for the best! :D

CAT oh my god 12 stone
wow you have done fantastic well done x

unfortunatley most of us here will get some loose skin, it also depends on how long we have been over weight as the longer we have been big there more chance the skin will have lost its elasticity through been over stretched for many years and because of that it wont go back even with exercise, this is what they told me and this is why i personally chose to have plastic surgery, everyone is different though and if you can live with the loose skin dramatic weight loss leaves us with then its still far better than being big as before.

12 stone down and at least a stone of excess skin. my GP has said i need a full body lift as my overhang at the back is as bad as the front. i exercised before, have continued to do so and have always moisturised my skin. i have always been overweight somy skin has been stratched for a long time. Its my arms, legs and boobs that effect me most as i dont want to have to constantly wear elbow length tops full cup bras and would love to go on holiday and walk around in just a swim suit when going in and out of the pool etc

Its a strange thing, i've lost 12.8 stone now and dont have any excess skin other than a tiny pooch, which quite frankly i could attribute to my age, i do have a tiny bit of loose skin around the tops of my legs, but its un noticable unless i'm naked.
I've always exercised and do a lot of hill walking, maybe this helps or maybe its a man thing, or maybe i'm just lucky, who knows, but i'm greatful i wont need more surgery.

I think the weight loss you have all achieved is amazing and when you talk of 10, 11, 12, 13 stone loss its pretty much another person so to have no loose skin is bloody fantastic and those who have I am sure if they decide to have something done the NHS says as long as a bmi is maintained for 2 years this is possible.
For me I am very lucky to be given wls on the nhs and would like to think that the nhs woudl continue to help me to get my body so that i am confident to wear a swimsuit. Not for vanity but purely to be able to do something I really want to do without feeling too embarassed.

Helen x

I have lost 5 stone and have awful hanging skin :-(
Just praying I will be able to get it removed on the NHS, as I don't know if we can afford anymore big expenses.

Back