• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Losses.... Mods is it possible?

swizzlestick

Lifes a beach
Heya

I had just been reading someones diary and was very happy for their weightloss and the issue of how much people are losing at what rate came up.

I know there is a loss percentage in the left hand stats bar of each person but wondered if there was an actual calculator we could use to work this out.

It may make people not feel so disheartened when they see others losses that seem bigger. If they could see that actually once height, overall weight etc have been taken into consideration, the percentage of weight loss each month is pretty similar for everyone. Obviously there are differences depending on the type of surgery too.

I know before I had the surgery I was thinking omg at the large weightlosses some people had and thinking It'l never fall of me at that rate........ and didnt really pay much attention to the overall amount people had to lose or how tall they were etc. I think most people do this.

Just thought it would be a nice idea for us to have a calculator to work the percentage of excess weight lost. to show were not that different in losses per mile ;) after all.

Xx

Oh and I have another star ....thanks EVERYONE:)

You mean to have it in your details section on the left? Or do you want to know how to work it out?

I have something like this ready to go. I will see about implimenting it onto the new site.

Pierce

Thanks pierce :)

Hi Sue, well yes how to work it out but also when we tell people in thread 'yay i have lost x,y,z (in lbs)this month' we could also say 'hey I lost such an such percent of my excess body fatm this month'.

So for example 2 people of the same height, one (person A) may have lost 15lbs in a month and another person(person B) 7 and a half lbs. But they may have lost the same percentage of excess body fat. dya get me? because person A may need to lose a whole heap more than person b overall.
So if person A was 10 stone overweight and person B was 5 stone overweight, they would have both lost exactly the same percentage of excess bodyfat.

I know that some people feel disheartened that there weight isnt coming off as fast as others and thought it a good idea that if they could see it in percentage of excess weight terms they might not feel quite so disheartened.

The joys of percentages...

100+10% = 110
110-10% = 99

Or..
1 of 100 = 1%
3 of 300 = 1%

Joy...

Pierce

Let's see if I can put it into words.

Firstly you have to decided how you determine excess weight. Is it a BMI of 25, or a weight set by your provider, or a weight you decide is your goal.

Anyway, once you decide that the difference between that and you current weight is obviously 100%

To use me as an example.

I was 238lb
Goal 147lb
Excess 91lb
Current weight 149lb
Current loss 89lb

so

(89 / 91) x 100 = 97.8%

So formula would be

current loss / Excess x 100 = Percentage of excess weight lost.

Hope that helps.

What a brilliant idea Phoebe, and Im glad Pierce has already answered this one.

Look forward to seeing it in action. x

Hmm...

I have a BMI calculator..

But I see you want maybe a calculator of some discription so you can see % Lost?

I could ask for person 1 and person 2

Then they can put in the figures into each and hit calculate?

Pierce

Ive added %EWL. I am not sure if it is correct, but i have been talking to sam in PM.

What I have done is: weight loss / healthy weight.

For example.. 40lb lost / 160lb (healthy weight calculated at a bmi of 24.9)

Which means you have lost 25% of your normal weight.

Now I am not sure if that is what was/is wanted. But if you lose 160lb and your normal weight is 160lb, then it would be 100%.

This would also be proportional to shorter/taller individuals.

Pierce that is perfect. Thank you xxx

hi that is such a good idea because i know that i definately get disheartened :sigh:, when i see someone who had their op around the same time as me has lost lots more weight than me and even reached target :(. I know i'm struggling at the mo but i am trying to get back on track and hopefully start losing again
Sharon

I'm not sure whats going on but mine is very wrong :(

Okay,

Ive changed it from total loss / healthy weight to:

Total Loss / The required amount of weight to lose in order to be healthy.

That reflects 106% change for EWL now shelbell.

Pierce

oooh that's better :) cheers Pierce!

Back