• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Hair!

quetiapina

Bumps along somehow
Hi everyone. I have long very curly hair and I only ever brush it before I wash it or else I look like Crystal Tips.

Well, I brushed it today and LOADS of it fell out into the brush, the brush was completely full of hair and so was the floor. And then I washed it and LOADS fell out again.:wave_cry:

I have very thick hair but not sure if it will cope with so much loss on many more occasions. There are no patches though. I haven't thought about this seriously before as I thought hairloss was only for by-passers.

Help.:(

Oh dear Jenni

I thought only bypassers suffered from this too. I have the same type of hair as you and always shed more this time of year (almost like malting!) if it continues maybe go and see your GP. Or discuss your diet with your provider, you may be deficient in something.

Maz x

It sounds like you are deficient in zinc (I think?!). Bypassers ask their GP for selenium. Mine has just started to come out and I'll be off to my GP this coming week.

ooh Jenni

I too have similar hair to you and Mazza (must be a banders trait? :D)

I didn't expect that to be a side effect of banding, but it used to happen with me when I did Cambridge Diet, couldn't wash or brush my hair without loads being shed...perhaps it's down to lack of calories?

check with your GP or dietician...hope you get it sorted soon :hug99:

Any rapid weight loss can result in hair loss. I lost loads on Cambridge diet when I lost 4 stones in 3 months. It did grow back though so dont worry. I didnt go bald.

In ANY weight loss program that you follow, hair loss often occurs at the same time. This is a natural result and the hair will grow back in once you reach your target weight. Often the hair is even thicker than before!

Three key vitamins to take to help your hair are protein, iron and zinc. These vitamins will not STOP the temporary hair loss while you diet. The hair loss is a normal part of your body's reaction to losing the weight. However it will help the hair grow in more fully when you have reached your target.

Two things that impede hair growth are an excess of Vitamin A, and stress. So a way to reduce the hair loss situation is to find ways to relax in your life, and to make sure that your vitamin A intake is not overabundant.

First, It's good to note that a hair doesn't simply grow forever. Each hair on your head grows for 4-5 years, then falls out. So your hair is always renewing itself. The long growth stage is called anagen and the short stopping phase that follows is called catagen. Then the hair falls out, which is telogen. The hair follicle then goes back into anagen and makes a long hair for the next 4-5 yaers.

What happens during weight loss is Telogen effluvium. It also happens after any stress to the body. Some of your hair follicles go into catagen to conserve body resources. So the hairs stop growing and "rest". Once your body feels safe again, those hairs go back into anagen - but because there was the pause in the middle, the brand new growing hair pushes the old hair out of the follicle. So in reality you have just as much hair as you did before - and it's probably far healthier hair. But the new hairs are short :)

Normally around 10% of your head of hair is in the catagen or telogen phase, in essence resetting itself to prepare for new hair to grow in. Because you have so much hair on your head, you don't even notice. During weight loss that percentage gets higher, but this is only temporary. Your body starts creating new hair in its normal cycle once it settles into a healthy weight and those hairs start growing again. Remember that hair doesn't reach a long state overnight! So all those new, healthy hairs need time to grow out to whatever length of hair you have chosen.

Usually it takes 6 months for your head of hair to have grown back out to typical fullness. Hair grows around 1/2" per month, so at the 6 month mark, the hair is around 3" long which is enough to seem thick on most heads. Again, it's not that the hair is MISSING during this intermediate time. It's just that it is brand new and growing from scratch.

hi jenni, sorry to hear about your hair, i can understand how you feel as my hair is really curly aswell and i would be devastated if it happened to me :(.
just take a deep breath and try not to freakout about it, it seems to becoming out evenly and not in patches so it wont be noticable :)
casbandy seems to be giving you some really good advice so dont worry as stress may make it worse :):)
love tasha xxx

What Caz says is right on the money.

Anesthetic + Surgery of any type + Rapid weight loss (anything over 5lbs per month) can = hair loss. It is a temporary situation, zinc & selenium suppliments can help encourage new hair growth but doesn't stop the old hairs from falling out. Be patient, you WILL NOT GO BALD, and you may get a better head of new healthy hair out of the deal. There is no secret society of post-op wls peeps who have gone bald and refuse to tell anyone about. I promise :):p:):p!!

Nic:p

Oh thankyou so much people - Caz, I had never thought about the hair process before, thankyou so much for taking the time to explain it. I feel reassured now. I've just been to my mother-in-law's for dinner and spent the whole time worrying I would have a monks tonsure by this time next month! Thanks for your advice everyone. Lv Jen xx

Jenni don't get even more stressed over this sweetheart. You've got plenty and maybe with this hot weather a little less might be cooler for you lol. Seriously though you've had some fab info from Caz and Nic and I'm sure you'll be fine. xxGaynorxx

Back