• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New beginnings

fluffyclouds

Hi everyone
Today was a big day! I met Prof. Amorri and have been pencilled in for a sleeve gastrectomy at the end of August!
Can't believe it's actually happening. I'm self funding (loan) as now I've made the decision I really need to keep the momentum going.
I'm scared, nervous and very excited all at once.
Xx

Ohhh good luck with it all xxx

Excellent - really exciting for you. Congratulations on taking the step.

What exciting times for you !

Thanks so much everyone. I feel a bit overwhelmed. Is it normal to feel a bit sad? I hate being so overweight, it literally affects every aspect of my life. Tonight though all I can think of is how much I'm going to miss food. I definitely need to try and get my head in a better place. x

Good luck! I did find that I sort of said goodbye to foods and now it dosen't bother me I'm on my LSD milk and yogurt diet family, friends and colleagues can eat what they like around or next to me!

I just think how much fitter I'm going to be and all those dresses and clothes that I'll be able to walk into any shop and by not just a fat shop. I have already lost two stone whilst waiting so I have already started my new life and noticing the difference. But it's not the dieting I have a problem with it's the keeping it off!

Mind you I have had since September when I was referred from GP to get my head in the right place! I'm sure if you want surgery that bad you will get your head there as well take care and good luck with your journey

Thanks so much everyone. I feel a bit overwhelmed. Is it normal to feel a bit sad? I hate being so overweight, it literally affects every aspect of my life. Tonight though all I can think of is how much I'm going to miss food. I definitely need to try and get my head in a better place. x
I empathise with this so much - food has been my coping mechanism for so long the thought of not having it scares me a little. I'm planning on going to overeaters anonymous once I'm well enough - apparently they are great for psychological support and meeting like minded people who suffer with similar food addictions etc! Worth trying if that sort of thing floats your boat?

Ps welcome and congratulations! X

It is normal to feel sad, right before surgery all I could think about was how much my life was going to change, then I realised that that could only be a good thing, because I was huge, on the way to being very unhealthy and hated what I saw in the mirror.

Don't feel sad, feel positive for the changes you're about to make.

Don't think about 'missing' food, you're not going to starve, you're not going to never eat again, you're taking a little holiday so you can enjoy a much better relationship with it in the long run.

xXx

It is normal to feel sad, right before surgery all I could think about was how much my life was going to change, then I realised that that could only be a good thing, because I was huge, on the way to being very unhealthy and hated what I saw in the mirror. Don't feel sad, feel positive for the changes you're about to make. Don't think about 'missing' food, you're not going to starve, you're not going to never eat again, you're taking a little holiday so you can enjoy a much better relationship with it in the long run. xXx

Great response Joanne79 xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks so much everyone for the warm welcome and the helpful advice.
I have to see a psychologist for an assessment before I can confirm my op date. I'm on antidepressants and have been on and off them for years, my doctor wants to feel sure that I will be able to cope emotionally when my 'crutch' is no longer there.
Fingers crossed that all goes ok, I'd be more depressed at this size than without the food to be honest.
This site is fab, great to read so many positive stories. Xx

Thanks so much everyone for the warm welcome and the helpful advice. I have to see a psychologist for an assessment before I can confirm my op date. I'm on antidepressants and have been on and off them for years, my doctor wants to feel sure that I will be able to cope emotionally when my 'crutch' is no longer there. Fingers crossed that all goes ok, I'd be more depressed at this size than without the food to be honest. This site is fab, great to read so many positive stories. Xx

Hi Hun

I am having a sleeve next week :)

I also suffer from depression and had to see the psychologist a couple of times last year. I was worried beforehand like you and didn't want my depression to go against me.

When I went to see the psychologist it went really well. He actually thought that my depression would lift if I have the sleeve and in his report he recommended me for the procedure. I was so chuffed.

Hope it goes really well for you .

Wishing you all the best xx

Oh that's so reassuring thanks violet, best of luck with your op. How's the pre op diet going? x

Oh that's so reassuring thanks violet, best of luck with your op. How's the pre op diet going? x

hi Hun :)

No problem Hun and thanks.

Please let me know how it goes?

I've found the pre op so hard but I think it does get easier as your body gets use to it. I've got six days left and I can't wait to have the op.

I will let you know how it goes.

Xx

I'd think that's a fairly common response. If you've been obese for a long time, you get into a place where you life becomes about being obese - planning what you are going to eat (or not eat), planning what you are going to wear to try and look your best and all those little thoughts that pass in the day; whether you can climb those stairs, whether you'll fit in that seat, whether that person with a disapproving look is thinking about your obesity too etc etc etc. I think that when you make that decision to do surgery, all of a sudden you are faced with the fact that a) your life has been about being fat and b) when the fat has gone, what fills the vacuum? What does life become about then?

There's a very famous book that I read many years ago called Fat is a Feminist Issue (Susie Orbach) and one of the themes it explores is how fat is almost a shield against the world for a lot of women; we can hide behind it and avoid facing life full on. There's a lot to be said for that theory.

I'd think that's a fairly common response. If you've been obese for a long time, you get into a place where you life becomes about being obese - planning what you are going to eat (or not eat), planning what you are going to wear to try and look your best and all those little thoughts that pass in the day; whether you can climb those stairs, whether you'll fit in that seat, whether that person with a disapproving look is thinking about your obesity too etc etc etc. I think that when you make that decision to do surgery, all of a sudden you are faced with the fact that a) your life has been about being fat and b) when the fat has gone, what fills the vacuum? What does life become about then? There's a very famous book that I read many years ago called Fat is a Feminist Issue (Susie Orbach) and one of the themes it explores is how fat is almost a shield against the world for a lot of women; we can hide behind it and avoid facing life full on. There's a lot to be said for that theory.

Just wanted to say wow, I'd never thought of it like this before very deep and so true x

Back