• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New Gastric Balloon

bellabell

Hi there
I am due in in 3 weeks for my gastric balloon, so thought it wise to start chatting on the forum prior to going in. Any experiences to share?

hi bella are you having a nhs balloon ir private ?

Hi Bellabell

As Gaynor (thinkbethin) said i have had my balloon removed recently and now had the gastric sleeve ,but if i can be of any help let me know.

Sorry, been v busy at work and not been on! I am going private and paying myself (that should be motivation enough, lol!). Am currently 14 stone 10 looking to get down to 12 stone and hoping the balloon will hel me shed a couple of stone and the rest is over to me and my will power.

God just read your experience Liz - ahhhh! Here's hoping I am better for the 1st couple of weeks....I've taken 11 days off work to be on the safe side...

Results seem to have worked for yuo - I really just need this to kick start weight loss so I am motivated to continue.

Hi Bellabell

As Gaynor (thinkbethin) said i have had my balloon removed recently and now had the gastric sleeve ,but if i can be of any help let me know.
Thank you so much, I go in a week on Thursday and am a bit nervous - there seems to be really mixed feedback about the balloon as not so many folk have had it. I've chosen it to help me kick start a more healthy lifestyle in general and to lose the initial 1 to 1.5 stone, the rest is up to me! I've taken 11 days off work from getting it done and am expecting to be wiped out for the first 3 days...
How quickly does the initial weight come off and they'e warned i will plateau at some point over the 6 months - did this happen to you?

Hi Bellabell

Good luck with the balloon next week i am sure you will be fine,i had my balloon for a kick start to loose weight, but also so i could have further wls.

The worst part of having the balloon is the first 3/5 days,as your stomach has to accept a invader as too say,you will be sick sorry but you will,most ballooners if not all will tell you that,but it does settle down i promise,make sure you drink plenty of fluids and drink it slowly.

As for the weight loss,i lost about 10lbs in the first week :eek: but it does slow down.
My plateau was about 4 months i didnt seem to loose much after that but in total i did loose 3 st which i was really pleased with and then i went on to have a gastric sleeve.

Good luck again,but you wont need it you will be fine.

xx

Hi Bellabell

Good luck with the balloon next week i am sure you will be fine,i had my balloon for a kick start to loose weight, but also so i could have further wls.

The worst part of having the balloon is the first 3/5 days,as your stomach has to accept a invader as too say,you will be sick sorry but you will,most ballooners if not all will tell you that,but it does settle down i promise,make sure you drink plenty of fluids and drink it slowly.

As for the weight loss,i lost about 10lbs in the first week :eek: but it does slow down.
My plateau was about 4 months i didnt seem to loose much after that but in total i did loose 3 st which i was really pleased with and then i went on to have a gastric sleeve.

Good luck again,but you wont need it you will be fine.

xx
Thats great - I need to lose 2 stone 10 pounds so even if I can get the 2 stone off over the 6 months I will be happy and motivated to keep going. Realistically what should I get in for the first week for eating? i was told just soups, smoothies etc. Also, do they prescribe you anything for indigestion or can you use over the counter remedies? Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much for you advice !!

Hi Bellabell.

The first few days are definetely fluids,i drank slim fast and soup but i was in hospital from weds to saturday they wouldnt let me out until i kept the fluids down but that was nhs.
As for perscription drugs i came home with liquid gaviscon,soluble disprin and some little tablets to stop the stomach craps which were a god send and i cant remember what they were called now.

The diet i was told to follow is as follows with some meal ideas as well.

First 3 days - Liquids ONLY

It is important that you take a daily multivitamin and multi-mineral supplement and we recommend Centrum Chewable (1/day) and Basset Blackcurrant chewable. Take these for the 6 months that the balloon is inserted.

For the first three days you should have liquids only.

Aim for 8 cups per day and have the drinks in small, regular sips.

Drinks to choose are:

• Semi-skimmed milk - 600ml (1 pint) per day/including Slim Fast if you wanted to.
  • Low calorie / reduced sugar squash
  • Tea / herbal teas
  • Coffee
  • Diluted fruit juice (1/2 juice, 1/2 water)
  • Bovril, Oxo, Marmite diluted in water
3 - 10 days - Soft Food ONLY

• You will be able to introduce blended / soft foods into your diet in very small portions (using a tea plate instead of a dinner plate can be helpful).
  • You should follow the healthy eating advice given at your assessment.
  • Your food should be taken as 4-5 small meals a day
  • Highly seasoned foods and hard fruit and vegetables may be best avoided.-(Also oranges and other acidic fruit)
  • Continue to have semi-skimmed milk – 300ml (½ pint) per day.
Ideas for Meals

Breakfast

1 Weetabix or 3tbsp porridge with 150ml milk from allowance

Mid-morning

1-2tbsp low fat yogurt
1-2tbsp soft/blended fruit

Lunch

1-2tbsp lean meat/fish/egg blended with gravy or a sauce
1-2tbsp mashed potato or well cooked rice
1-2tbsp soft/blended vegetable

Mid afternoon

1-2tbsp low fat yogurt

Evening meal

1-2 tbsp lean meat/fish/egg blended with gravy or a sauce
1-2tbsp mashed potato or well cooked rice
1-2tbsp soft/blended vegetable

Bedtime

1-2tbsp fromage frais

Between meals

Low calorie drinks, e.g. tea, coffee, Bovril, diluted fruit juice

10 days and over - "Normal" diet

• By this time you can resume a more normal diet!
  • Pasta has a tendency to ‘stick’ and may be best avoided.
  • Make sure to drink after each meal to rinse the balloon - water is best.
  • You should continue to take your vitamin and mineral supplement.
  • Follow the healthy eating guidelines you were given before you operation when planning meals.
  • Do not lie down immediately after a meal
  • If you vomit after a meal follow the soft/blended ideas for the next three meals.
Ideas for Meals

Breakfast

150ml/¼pint of unsweetened fruit juice
High fibre cereal, e.g. 1 Weetabix
or 3 tablespoons of porridge with 150ml/¼pint semi-skimmed milk
or 1 slice toast with low fat spread

Mid morning

Sugar free drink

Lunch

60g/2oz lean meat, chicken, fish, lentils, baked beans or one egg, 1 slice bread
or 1-2 tablespoons of cooked rice or pasta
or 1-2 tablespoons of mashed potato
or 1-2 boiled eggs sized potato (no added fat)
2 tablespoons vegetables or salad
1 portion fruit or low fat yoghurt

Mid afternoon

Sugar free drink

Dinner

60g/2oz lean meat, chicken, fish, lentils, baked beans or one egg
1 slice bread
or 1-2 tablespoons cooked rice or pasta
or 1-2 tablespoons instant potato
or 1-2 boiled eggs sized potato (no added fat)
2 tablespoons vegetables or salad
1 portion fruit or low fat yoghurt

Bedtime

Sugar free drink

Hope this helps ,and once again good luck and keep us posted.

xx

Thank you so much for all this!! Really really good, I am slightly worried that my private healthcare hasn't given me this much detail re the soft foods etc - I have a similar diet plan for afterwards...

I am glad the info help.

Please remember as soon as you feel full,stop !!!! or you will be ill,it is a re-educating lesson,as we eat with our eyes,but they say a small tea plate size portion is big enough.

If i can help further even after the op let me know.

xx

This is going to be so bizarre, i'll certainly learn quickly if I am sick! Only a few days to go then I am in...

I am now equally nervous and excited. Bizarrely I weighed myself this morning and I have lost 6.5 pounds since they weighed me at hospital on 20th June (just over a week ago!). I've always said my weight issue is in my head - I think I am hungry and try to restrict myself and end up eating more as it's always on my mind. Since my last meeting at hospital its almost like I've "let it go" and am just getting on with my life and not obsessing. Im eating similar things but smaller portions and seem to be less hungry than before! So even the idea of going in for the balloon seems to have had a positive effect on my thoughts about food. Here's to a healthier relationship with food from now on!!

Back