• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

? Omg got my 1st hospital appointment?

jodie 79

Well this day has finally arrived it's been over 3 years in the making....in January I was referred for gastric sleeve surgery after completing a weight management course today I received a call today from the UCLH to tell me they have had a cancellation for next week, this will be my 1st hospital appointment and really need advice to how long this appointment will be and what's involved. Has anyone else here had surgery at the UCLH?

My 1st appointment was a seminar type meeting with about 10 to 12 other people in the same boat as us and was an outline of what is on offer and what they expect you to do. The 2nd appointment was with a dietitian and then 20 mins with the consultant.

to in"thin"ety and beyond...... regards Trev

How long we're you there for? On my appointment letter I've got to have bloods done, then seminar,see the nurse and also the surgeons all in the same day ..I'm so nervous

Congrats on getting this first appt xx

Great news about receiving your appointment.

Just a quick update...had my appointment with mr Andrew Jenkinson and his team yesterday all looks positive but he has advised me to have the bypass instead so I need to make the decision sleeve or bypass any input would be greatly appreciated from all who read this, he said I should hear from him in about 2 weeks to say if I have been placed on the waiting list.

Well done Jodie on getting this far :) I'm a bypasser and although it has had it's moments I'm loving it. I can't comment on the sleeve but there are loads of people here on the site who have & I've no doubt they will be along soon to put their views here too :)
From what I understand there is fewer problems post op with the sleeve ie malabsorption, vitamin deficiencies & dumping. Unfortunately for me I have all three but I still don't regret my choice having lost 13st with another 3 to go. I hasten to add not everyone gets these problems but on the other hand not everyone with the sleeve escapes them either ;).
I'm loving life 6mths post op and I can not express how much of a difference to my life it has made. I was a size 34/36 now I'm 14/16 and despite the above I'm lots healthier :)

When I hear success story's like yours I think yes that's what I want and I'm making the right decision, but then I read about things going wrong even death and it scares the s#*t out of me......I know I have to do this though!!! :0) well done for your fab weight loss that's amazing!!!

Thank you Jodie. I think you need to be informed of the worst case scenario but at the same time you need to keep a certain amount of perspective on it. At my top weight I was already leading a very shortened life anyway so ultimately my bypass was a necessity so I didn't harbour took much thoughts on death, rare as it is ;)

It would seem that if your medical team suggests the By Pass then they would know best and I would go along with their recommendations.
I went private and had the sleeve and so far I can only say that I have had no problems at all and hope that it all goes well for you.

Thank u both for your input, can I ask how many follow up appointments there usually are after the op?

Back