• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

over the counter painkillers for bypassers

hopelesscase

Hi everyone im currently on paracetamol for the pain in boob but its really not touching it.
Have got codien but cant take it as it knocks me out and i have a little one with me this weekend as mum is away and need to be alert.
Sending her home isnt an option as mum is away and she really needs the break with her other kids as they have had a rough few weeks.
So my question is can anyone think of any other over the counter pain killers that i could possiably take to help ease the pain.
I know i cant take NSAI so that rules out ibruprofen.
TIA
carole

Carole - have you tried crack or heroin? Hhahaha - only kiddin! Paramol?

nah was thinking more weed for its painkilling properties. Nic cake recipe please !!!!!!!
only joking never tried it and would be too scared to do so in case i enjoyed it lol

Ahhhhh hahahaha Carole your one funny lass!

co-codomal (spelt wrong) is good other that there is nurafen spelt wrong too im having a bad day brain just is not working x x x

Hi HC

You can take non narcotic analgesics with nsaids, such as Acetaminophen which can be bought over the counter apparently. Make sure though if you take analgesics they are definately the non-narcotic variety as opposed to the narcotic variety obviousy ;)

Question: Can Acetaminophen and NSAIDs Be Taken Together?
Arthritis patients, in an attempt to relieve pain and other symptoms, often take NSAIDs and over-the-counter pain relievers like acetaminophen. Is it appropriate to take acetaminophen and NSAIDs together? Does taking acetaminophen and NSAIDs together increase the risk of side effects?
Answer: The short answer is yes -- it's appropriate to take an NSAID and acetaminophen together. With chronic use, NSAIDS can damage the kidneys and cause gastrointestinal bleeding. Excessive use of acetaminophen, on the other hand, is metabolized in the liver. Prolonged or chronic use of acetaminophen can result in liver failure.
So, while the drugs are not without risks, they are considered safe and effective when taken according to directions and as prescribed by your doctor. NSAIDs reduce inflammation. Acetaminophen is taken as a pain reliever.

I think cocodamol is codeine so you probably should steer clear of that too.

Hope you get some relief soon, Take care Xx

Carole I take Paramol for back pain because I have slipped a disc and ruptured a muslc in it aswell, they are strong but havent had any issues with them since my bypass.

As the lovely lovely Sarah has said Co Codamol is pretty good for pain. I use it for my knees. It's safe to take short term and I've taken it off and for years without any of this addiction bollax.

It does contain codeine so it will stop you pooing for a day or so, but if you can put up with that it should help.

Hope you feel better soon honey. One good thing so far, you don't appear to have given it me, which is nice

Love you loads xxx

Co-codamol contains codeine, I can't take codeine either. I would take paracetamol 1gram plus aspirin, make sure you eat with the aspirin coz it can irritate your stomach. Take any painkillers regularly, don't wait until the pain is really bad, you need to build up a good pain-relief base. Plus all the other things, hot or cold compresses, massage, music, distraction techniques and anything to take your mind off it. Pain relieving gel is also very good.

co-codomal (spelt wrong) is good other that there is nurafen spelt wrong too im having a bad day brain just is not working x x x

Thanks sarah but nurophen contains ibuprofen which is a nsai and as a bypasser i cant take that. And back to the problem that codeine knocks me out and im working.
But hey ho i may take some codeine at bed time and hope the little one sleeps.
We have been out for a nice walk this after noon so hopwfully she will.

As the lovely lovely Sarah has said Co Codamol is pretty good for pain. I use it for my knees. It's safe to take short term and I've taken it off and for years without any of this addiction bollax.

It does contain codeine so it will stop you pooing for a day or so, but if you can put up with that it should help.

Hope you feel better soon honey. One good thing so far, you don't appear to have given it me, which is nice

Love you loads xxx

yep think im going to go for the codeine at bedtime and see how i go.

Oh well had some codeine at bedtime and slept like a log till 5am. Just back on the paracetamol this morning but my throat feels better than it did. LOL didnt realise it was so sore as chst pain is so bad.

going to take little one to trampolining class this morning but i wont be joining her on the bed.

have a good day everyone
carole

Hope you feel better soon, it stinks not being able to get pain relief. I use paracetemol when I can, co-codamol when it is bad and tramadol when it is the worst. However, I don't have a little one counting on me to be awake & alert!

Hope your pain & cold aren't too bad. Feel better!

Nic;)

I would have a chat with the pharmacist at your local chemist. I have found they are the best people to ask as they really know what they are talking about. Hope you are feeling better honey. Sending you a hug. XXX

Back