• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The Op

~Alison~

Ignore and delete this admin - should have been in m diary thread .. So I was booked for the op on the 23rd May 2015 privately with Prof Kerrigan at NHS hospital Countess of Chester. Travelled up the night before and stayed in the Premier Inn over the Road.

It was a bittersweet time as my Mum in Law was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer just three weeks before and was pretty poorly. I spent Sunday with her and as i'm a nurse gave her a lovely bed bath, creamed her feet and brushed her hair and gave her kisses.

My brother in law had come over from Australia and was staying with us and I didn't really know if I should go ahead but though I would only be in for a couple of nights so Chris my hubby said go ahead we will be back home on Wednesday - little did we know.

I was first on the list and went down at 9.30. Walked down to theatre, off to sleep, woke up and back to the ward. I can't remember too much about that day but know I was up and down to the toilet which was a short walk, and quite hard to pee but the worst thing was getting out of bed as I am only 5ft and the bed did not go down much so was a real strain.

Next day it got harder to walk and harder to pee. By the afternoon I was really uncomfortable to the staff gave me peppermint in case it was trapped wind but were really dismissive. By half three/four o clock I was in serious pain and told the health care assistant. She went to talk to the nurse who send a message back to drink peppermint. I am I said and started to cry. Then I rang my bell again and the healthcare came back. I told her I was in serious pain and wanted to see the nurse. The nurse is busy and we are moving you from the High Dependency bay into a side room and so they did, right at the other end of a very long ward, because of course I was fine ...

By this time I am moaning and groaning as if in labour and the pressure seems to be all from my bladder area. I ring the bell again and ask to see the nurse. In she comes, and I say 'I think I am bleeding into my bowel, I am in agony, something is really wrong'. Well I cant do anything the surgeon is in theatre for another two hours she says. Please put a catheter in I say, I to see if it will relieve the pain and help me pee. Along comes a stroppy nurse, and tries to put a catheter in with the blinds open and the light on, poor chester! She cant get it in and I am crying and writhing in pain. There is no urine she says.

Then my husband appears and I roll over and start projectile vomiting copious amounts of bright red blood - thinking - do you bloody believe me now!!

Action stations - like a scene from ER I am rushed back to High Dependency Bay, super nurse comes and puts catheter in - drained over a litre of urine (none in there hey)! Lines in arms and lots of fluids, end of bed up, and monitors on, morphine given, oxygen given. Doctor comes eventually and they think I could have a bleed from one the the sections where my small intestine was stapled together, the Professor is away for the night but we will monitor you and take you back to theatre in the morning if the bleed hasn't stopped. Apparently the Doctor 'A Fellow' of the Prof stayed on the ward all night.

To be continued ....... :8855:

Last edited:
Back