• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

over the counter painkillers for bypassers

Hope you feel better soonxxx

Hi Carole

I wasnt aware you cannot take nsaids after bypass. None of my docs have told me that. I have to take naproxen twice a day, long term which is a nsaid hmmmmm. Do you have any further info for me about why we should not take them.

See what I mean, the things you learn on this website that the pro's dont mention!

Having op in less than 2 days and would like to find out more about this beforehand.

Thanks Xx

i was told by my endocrainologist that some medications are not to be used because they may cause ulcers or inflammation in your stomach pouch especially along the staple line. You should permanently avoid using any type of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs also known as “NSAIDs”, which include pain relievers such as aspirin, Brufen, Diclofenac, Sulindac, Celecoxib, Diflunisal, Naproxen, Piroxicam etc.
If you use these on a regular basis talk to yr surgeon befor hand so that he can prescribe you something else.
hth
carole

Thanks for your reply Carole

I rang the bariatric nurse today and she told me once everything is healed properly as long as I was taking the ppi's and ate whilst taking them, I would be able to resume taking the naproxen or diclofenic. However, I also mailed shelbel and she told me of alternatives to nsaids and I will discuss this option with my gp post op.

I must say that most of the information I have found online supports what you are saying. Not so worried now I have spoken wth Shel, would prefer to try the alternatives to the nsaids.

Why are there soooo soooo many conflicts of advice within the profession, I dunno.

Xx

Back