• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PCT Query?

purplefluffything

I've had one appt for wls (group session) now waiting or first appt with consultant, if the consultant agrees to me having surgery and then applies for the PCT would this be affected if I already have another Consultant applying for PCT for a completly different surgery? You see I have a Intrathecal Pump Implant (Pump which delivers morphine directly into my spine) My pain consultant told me today that my pump needs to be replaced so will be applying for the funding for me, he said has I have one already he see's no problem.
My pain consultant has no idea that I have gone as far as I have with the WLS YET! :p I did tell h:pim at the beginning but he was a little blaze' saying he thought they would'nt go ahead with me plus told me I should'nt go ahead due to what it can do to your body with losing weight so quickly; so I said to him I would think about what I would do, but have never told him that I decided to go ahead. I plan to tell him if I get a yes.
My endiocrene consultant on the other hand knows my GP refered me for wls and has said himself that surgery would be more than like be the only way for me to lose it!.
Anyway I am wondering if the PCT see that someone is already appling funding for surgery for another procedure will they give me funding twice?
Im really worried inside about this.
I can't call the pct either, like I said my consultants pain dept is applying for me and I don't want to call the pct and mix it all up; I would do this I get all nervous.
Hope someone can help.
Hugs xx

Last edited:
Hi Diana hun soz cant help you there but i did not want to just read and run.You are at the Whitt who are u seeing, could you poss speak to Lorna maybe she would be able to help you.
Maybe you could just make general enquires to your pct without giving them your details and ask generally could 2 different hospitals apply for funding for you for 2 different procedures you could say your enquiring for a friend or family member so you dont have to go into details.
Hope some one experienced will soon be along to help you, take care hun and chat soon xxx

Hi Hun,
Thank you for trying to help,I am hoping it won't be a problem, the pump replacement I have to have anyway and I was there today when I heard my consultant ask his collegue to start to apply for it for me.
Im just worried further down the line if I do get the wls and they then apply for surgery that they may say no?

Although Mr Sufi in his letter to me stateted that on the basis of the infomation provided I may furfil NICE critera.
Im scared they will say no its too much?:confused:
Has you can see Im under Mr Sufi I believe Kirsten works with him and Lorna Mr Heath, I have never spoken to Lorna.

Thanks again for your support flower.
Hugs xx

I'm not sure and i'm just going on bits of finance i've picked up from managers when working in PCT's (not wls i add). Basically the pct have little 'pots' of money (use your imagination for this one), each labelled for what they are specifically allowed, these are called their budgets and like ourselves they can only spend what's in the 'pot'! Your wls pot would not be the same pot as the pot for your other surgery and to be honest as i've found out departments never or rarely talk to each other.

My advice to you would be to stop working yourself up, sit back enjoy the sunshine and wait till Monday and ring your PCT PALS service, make a general enquiry mentioning no names and if they need to ring you back with information don't worry about giving them your name, you can always make one up!

Hi Hun,
Thank you for trying to help,I am hoping it won't be a problem, the pump replacement I have to have anyway and I was there today when I heard my consultant ask his collegue to start to apply for it for me.
Im just worried further down the line if I do get the wls and they then apply for surgery that they may say no?

Although Mr Sufi in his letter to me stateted that on the basis of the infomation provided I may furfil NICE critera.
Im scared they will say no its too much?:confused:
Has you can see Im under Mr Sufi I believe Kirsten works with him and Lorna Mr Heath, I have never spoken to Lorna.

Thanks again for your support flower.
Hugs xx

Hi hun Kirstein i think works with both she is the bariatric nurse and Lorna again works for both she is the bariatric co ordinator ,
/secretary so she does the paperwork for both consultants and she is the one who send off for funding.
Well obviously you have to have the pump surgery and then if Sufi supports your case for wls then at least you have his backing so that should def help.
At the end of the day if surgery is going to help your health probs you have now then it is saving them in the long run, as if u dont lose the weight and if u gain some more it will cost them even more, soz not saying u will gain weight :D:D

Hun when u got ur appointments changed and now have the earlier app did you change it through the appointments line and just ring up and see if their were cancellations.
Take care hun and hope ur wls journey goes smooth for you xxxx

Eveining,
I phoned up at first at got my appt changed by having canellatons which was good.
I wanted it closer so kept trying for an earlier one but had no luck, so then after a week I thought sod this Im going to call the chief not the indians!
So I called Kirsten, she did explain because I was under Mr Sufi my appt was origanally canceled coz he was away for 4 weeks, she managed to get it a lot closer than I could.
I have thought of calling the cancellation line again, but its only 5 weeks now, Gary my husband has to book time off in advance to come with me so I can't keep changing it.
Oh and the weight thing! well your right I have put it on, I have put it on gradually each yr since I had my spine operated on.

Julie, thank you for your help, I can now for see what you say makes sence, I feel much better seeing what you have posted. Thank you.
Night Night xx

Last edited:
Back