• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Physical complications following gastric balloon insertion

kimlou

Hi!
I had a gastric balloon inserted in feb 2013 and my experience was pretty horrific.
Non-stop vomiting for 6 weeks, hair loss, back pain and a feeling that my stomach was far too heavy for my frame to carry.
I endured the balloon for the full 6 month period and my weight loss was minimal, despite being unable to consume or digest any food for 6 weeks.
I have since been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis and i cannot help but think that this is a result of having a gastric balloon inserted as i had, previously no pain or mobility problems.
I also discovered that my insertion was rushed in order to facilitate a tv crew whom were filming the surgeons at that time and therefore, my balloon was actually over filled.
Has anyone else had an experience like this?
Thanks

Vomiting yes, terrible reflux for the full 6 months yes. Hair loss yes but that usually comes with the rapid weight loss that I had ..just under 5 stone in fact. Permanent damage done nil. I don't think your spondylosis would be caused by the balloon in all honesty. Possibly aggravate it as a pre existing condition..maybe I don't know. I have a severely crumbling spine and joints which I had before the op and yes I hurt more while the weight came off but this was down to my posture changing etc I would say my pain level has returned to a few par below what it was pre op (now bypassed) but I can cope with that level. In saying all this I am no doctor or expert and this is purely my experience.
Good luck x

Thank you so much for your reply!
The consultant thinks that I may have been born with a congenital condition of the spine and that the weight of the balloon has forced it to fracture.
I'm on the waiting list for a gastric bypass at the moment and I just felt that not enough info is given regarding some peoples reactions to having the balloon in situ

Its nice to know that I wasn't alone in my experience of the vomiting and hair loss xx

Back