• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pickle's 2 days post op

Hi Pickle, glad you home and hope your on the mend, let us know how you are hun xx

I typed a massive long update earlier, then the cat jumped on my lap, headbutted my port wound and deleted my reply. Grrrr!

So i'll just do the shortened version. Arrived on the 12th may in Brussels, was meant to meet one of the team at 7pm but they didn't arrive until 8.15 by which time i was really agitated and at the point of crying thinking i had somehow got the dates or place mixed up. Finally met Bart, one of Dr Chris co-ordinaters....very nice man. We went to the conference room where he outlined the procedure and i paid the balance.
That night me and DH had a last meal in the hotel restaurant and a couple of glasses of wine and went back to our room ready for our early morning hospital trip. We were advised to get there at 7pm to check in and settle into our rooms. All went smoothly...the hospital was clean, modern and the nurses were polite and helpful, nothing was too much trouble.

After some bloods and bp were taken it was time to meet the man himself Dr Chris De Bruyne, he was very proffesional, very clear and honest about the procedure and a bit yummy to boot:p
He then said we would be taken to theatre in about an hour, finally my time had come and i was wheeled down to theatre. A big guy loomed over me and told me he would take care of me and that's the last i remember....i awoke to pain in my side and the most awful vomiting. Wasn't expecting the vomiting to be so bad but the after effect of the aneasthesia(sp) really knocked me for six. Must have drifted in and out of sleep because i then awoke back in my hospital room with my DH by my side. A bit more vomiting later and a lot more pain i was left to sleep for the evening. Next morning met with Dr Chris again for the lowdown (i have a 7ml band) and a typed up report of the surgery.Left the hospital with injections for thrombosis, some pain relief tablets and sickness tablets.

Arrived back at the hotel and as i was getting changed i noticed my dressing was soaked with blood....as luck would have it Bart knocked on the door and suggested i go back to A&E to have the dressing changed. So another taxi ride back to hospital and it appears that i needed another stitch in my port wound. The uncompassionate doctor in A&E prodded and poked my flesh like i didn't have any feelings there, then sowed it up. The pain was awful...thankfully fleeting but horrible all the same...my toes literally curled up. I was then sent back to the hotel room and slept for the rest of the night.
The eurostar back was ok, we were there quite early so a lot of waiting around but i managed to kip on the train.
Today i'm feeling painful still. My port side is still hurting and everything just seems swollen inside. My stomach looks even more bloated at the moment!
I am also getting pain in my chest, it is fleeting but really uncomfortable....i'm not sure if it is wind or not.
Today i have had an actimel yoghurt, a slimfast, options hot choc and bowl of soup. Struggling to get water down me because of the chest pain but will persevere.

So that's my shortened version. Hopefully i will feel better in a few days. xx

Last edited:
Poor Pickle. You sound as if you have had a rough ride :(

Luckily I didn't feel sick after, just sleepy. Make sure you keep an eye on that wound. Mine was held with a type of glue rather than stitches and when I took the dressings off I was really surprised it was perfectly clean, there was no blood at all on the dressing. Just make sure you don't get an infection.

Take it easy and welcome to the losers bench xx

Sharon

ah pickle you are over the worst. i too went through the same procedure, nice to know we have a 7ml band because i forgot to ask.. you are on the mend and every day will be a day of recovery xx

thgw0503.jpg

Sounds like wind to me to a massage and a hot water bottle should help and is you can manage it a warm drink (I usually use mint tea) they tend to help me although I am pre - op so hopefully it will help post - op as well.

7 days post op and it has flown by. Had my weigh in today and lost precisely zilcho, nothing! Wonder if it's because i'm still extremely bloated to the point of looking pregnant or whether i just lost it on the pre op diet and now it has stalled. Just concentrating more on healing at the moment though.
Hopefully next week i will have a loss.
Wounds seem to be healing nicely, still have got lots of painful wind and a sore port side but i am feeling much better than i did a couple of days ago.
Have gone onto thicker liquids and have been eating full fat yoghurts just to get the calories up. Still amazed how tiny amounts fill me up!

Good going Pickle. You will have a weight loss next week, everyone is different. try to weigh once a week and not every day as this is very off putting. i should know because i WEIGH EVERYDAY. i have now got my husband to hide the scales and wont be wieghed until sat morning i will go to Boots and get weighed. keep taking the pain killers. i am over 3 weeks post op and my port wound is still tender. have a fill booked for 4 weeks time.
take care hun xx

Back