• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Portion control - part 2

RoseA

Until I went to the office restaurant to have some lunch that is. I asked for a half portion and was told they didn't do them as it "wasn't worth their while". Didn't make the blindest bit of difference that I said I wasn't capable of eating a normal portion for "medical reasons". So I told them to stuff it and left. :argh: It's spoilt my day and I'm so upset. :cry:

Now I have noticed before that the "normal" portions are waaay too big, especially for a mid-day meal. And I don't mean they just look big to me now - even pre-op I thought they were big. The staff restaurant is supposed to promote healthy eating and makes a point of offering different choices - except portion size.

We have a comment thread on our intranet - I'm going to post a message and see if others would welcome the option of ordering a smaller portion. :mad:

Last edited:
Thats ridiculous in this day and age, healthy eating is promoted everywhere and surely that means smaller portions of even healthy foods? Id be pee'd off too XX

I think you are right to do that Rose, it's so wasteful and a lot of people are weight watching, go for it Angel and take no notice of them... I'd take my lunch to work with you for a while until they listen to what customers really want... you are well within your rights to have your say Angel...

Sending you a huge cyber hug xxx

get a normal one and a second plate and just put half the portion on the other plate and leave the non eaten plate somewhere random for them to clean up lol

how ridiculous, i think you should put a comment on the internet. How hard can it be to have smaller portions? How can it not be worth their while? Surely if they sell 2 small portions is just equal to selling one large portion :confused:

Silly if you ask me!!!

I think you are right to do that Rose, it's so wasteful and a lot of people are weight watching, go for it Angel and take no notice of them... I'd take my lunch to work with you for a while until they listen to what customers really want... you are well within your rights to have your say Angel...

Sending you a huge cyber hug xxx

Thing is, I so rarely go to the restaurant, I usually go round the corner to Pret and get a soup (which is what I ended up doing afterwards). But they had a nice chicken dish on the menu and I thought it would be a good meal. :cry:

get a normal one and a second plate and just put half the portion on the other plate and leave the non eaten plate somewhere random for them to clean up lol

Second plate or no - I'd have left at least half of it anyway ! I don't suppose it would bother them as they would apparently prefer to waste the food...

how ridiculous, i think you should put a comment on the internet. How hard can it be to have smaller portions? How can it not be worth their while? Surely if they sell 2 small portions is just equal to selling one large portion :confused:

Silly if you ask me!!!

What they don't realise is that they would probably charge slightly over half price for a small portion... so they'd be better off wouldn't they ?!

We normally do get charged more for less Rose... Similarly when we purchase food with something left out... it costs more.. my post op soups reduced salt cost more than the ordinary ones... silly sausages... aren't they.

For the sake of everyone else who would prefer a smaller plate or portion in your place of work, I'd be flagging this is up and writing to the Restaurant Manager...

Never say never and it's a shame you missed out.. I'd have felt just as you are and would have to have a polite word in the Manager's ear to see if they can effect change.

Love and hugs Angel xxx

Ages ago I went into a wimpy restaurant and asked for a kiddies meal and I got told that I couldnt have one as I wasnt a child. I therefore proceeded to show them by band card and stated that I had a gastric procedure and that was why I asked for a childs menu. Anyhows she still declined me and I sed fine and I told them I wouldnt be eating @ that particular branch any more and I was going to report them too trading standards to which the staff sed do what u like.......Hmmmmmpphhh I thought........and ya know wot ppl I did just that I rang trading standards up and explained all what had gone on etc and he proceeded too tell me that they infact had broken the law and it was an infringement of my civil liberties/rights etc and they got fined for it....I couldnt believe it tbh I just assumed they could do what they wanted.....and ya know what I did , I went back in there and ordered the food again just because I could lol and they didnt batter an eye lid....lol......and I never been back since either!!!

This is interesting to read as I'm wondering how I'll get on when eating out at restaurants.
As you know when it comes to ordering from a Childs menu there's nothing that's going to be healthy and ideal for a gastric bypass person.
Where do you get these cards from that say you've had a bypass done,so can eat only small portions?
Did I read that right that these cards exist..
Thanks

Well done Julie and it would be helpful to know more about your card... it's discrimination in my eyes... and removing Customer choice... thanks for flagging this up! xxx

Hi Rose
I'll introduce you to our canteen, you wouldn't ask for a half portion there as they are already half size LOL My grandson eats more than the portions they pass off as for adult, tightwads! Everyone who uses it moans. I have given up with them and just eat my own home made soup which I bring in a flask daily. made a superb batch this weekend. All vegetable 66 calories a portion and no added fat as I boiled everything not fried.

There is a card ion the BOSPA sight but it does not look very professional. Anyone know of anyone who designd business cards maybe we could get a batch made especially for WLSurgeryers!

What a difference to yesterday when I was shopping in Bromley. I went into a cafe at lunchtime and asked if I could have a child sized portion - the chap said they didn't really do them but he was happy to give me a small portion for a discount. He asked me exactly what and how much I wanted, and put it in a small bowl for me. So helpful and no fuss ! Incidentally, it was the same cafe that happily gave Carole150 a takeaway container for the remainder of her dish one time. Result... happy customers who will definitely go back again... what's so difficult about that ?!

What a difference to yesterday when I was shopping in Bromley. I went into a cafe at lunchtime and asked if I could have a child sized portion - the chap said they didn't really do them but he was happy to give me a small portion for a discount. He asked me exactly what and how much I wanted, and put it in a small bowl for me. So helpful and no fuss ! Incidentally, it was the same cafe that happily gave Carole150 a takeaway container for the remainder of her dish one time. Result... happy customers who will definitely go back again... what's so difficult about that ?!

Was that Bloomingdeli's? The customer service there is amazing. I went with friends for lunch and I wasn't wanting to eat bread so he gave me a small portion of salad and tuna which wasn't even on the menu.

Yay to the guy in Bromley,thats 2 happy customers that will return!Customer service in this country is c**p!Rose I would take a food box in next time and hold the queue up while I put half in my box!Divvys! complain!Maz x

Back