• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Portion control - part 2

id definately be interested too scarlet, how about you do costings etc, and open a new thread up with the details on, its a brilliant idea. hugs xxx

Well, I did post a message on our intranet about the restaurant and only got a couple of responses, more or less along the lines of "go elsewhere if you don't like it..." Bloody typical :banghead:

However, I got a telephone call today from a lady in the catering department. She explained the party line about restaurant economics and how they didn't serve enough numbers to offer half portions or do them at a reduced price. They did as much as they could to provide a range of healthy food to cater for different needs but couldn't meet everyone's needs.

One of the points I'd made on the intranet was that on the day in question all the main menu choices contained pasta... which was hopeless for anyone on a low-carb diet. She said after having checked the menu for that day, I was right. The chef said that should never have happened, so she apologised for that.

We ended up having a good conversation - she went through some of the food items that I could ask for a small portion. I explained that I'd had gastric surgery (I didn't say it was WLS) and the difficulty I was having finding suitable lunchtime food. I asked about omelettes, which are made to order - but always with 3 eggs. She said she'd have a word with the chef and let him know that if a lady comes in and asks for a one-egg omelette, that was fine. I said it was reassuring to know that if I was struggling to find something suitable for lunch, I knew I could always order a small omelette with cheese and that would meet my needs.

So although not a resounding success, at least I got an official response and the issue has been raised. The message will remain on the intranet and I'll see if it provokes any further replies. I have been back to the restaurant a couple of times and managed to get smaller portions of some dishes. I guess if I go there more regularly they might get to know my face and anticipate my needs ?

Well done for being tenacious Rose...

The issue is that they are denying you a choice which should be yours.. I'm beginning to think just like you love...

Glad you have it flagged up on your intranet... it certainly warrants that... ignore the comments borne out of pure ignorance... keep flying the flag Rose.

p.s. Hope hubby is feeling better today.

Love and hugs xxx

Good for you rose...people don't speak up enough nowadays and i'm glad you did as it has highlighted a few problems that obviously need sorting x

Well done Rose. Keep at it. I keep asking for small portions or half portions where ever I go to eat.
Most places are acommodating. Those that aren't, I just don't go back!
Grace xxx

I think that the everyday "regular" portion is insane even for non wls people. I went to a restaurant this wk with my mom, we ordered one plate and shared ( it was soooo much food) anyway when we got our bill we were charged a plate share charge that was insane. So we complained and got into a bickering fest with the manager who finally took the charge off. ( since it wasn't explained to us beforehand we would get charged). But before sharing a plate we did ask if I could order a smaller portion to get a really rude response. I'm happy you complained. I am hoping that with so many wls being done, soon restaurants are going to offer smaller 1/2 portions for all meals. They always blame the person for becoming obese, but now that we are post op and see the sizes of the portions handed to us we realize how it happened. I actually took a look at the kids menu portions and realized no child should be able to eat that much. Society wants everyone to be thin and yet hands us portions suited for 2 ppl easy.
Sorry about the ramblings but this topic is one I've spent too much time on lol. Mainly because when I was growing up with an all thin family everyone used to say it was because I ate too much and I would see my family eat and I never ate when they didn't. I was just a plate cleaner. I think ALOT of us are. We get told not to waste our food so we don't. That's why now when I eat out with my family even before I had surgery I always ask for extra plates with my kids meals and plate a little and if they are still hungry will give them a lil more. That way don't feel obligated to finish the whole main plate.
Ok I'm done now.
Sorry if that was everywhere lol.

Hugs Dee xoxoxo. :) :) :) Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Back