• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post op blues anyone?

gingernutter

I am 8 weeks post op and feeling very low. I have no idea why. My weight lost has started up again after a 3 week on pause so it isn't that. I am back at work and managing that well. I can't explain. Maybe after 2 years of fighting and wishing my life away in the struggle to get the surgery that things are feeling a bit flat. It is so unlike me to feel down.

Has anyone else experienced post op blues?

Didn't want to read and run.

It's been far from it with me, I've been the opposite. Hope someone can shed some light on these feelings you're having!

I havent experienced them yet Sarah, but I'm not as far ahead as you.

I suppose it could just be as you say, the overwhelming relief that your fight is finally over.

Hope you feel better soon chick xx

I only had a few times where I thought
...oh crap i wish id had the bypass because the weight is not coming off quick enough...
The feeling passes quite quickly and im sure you will feel better soon when the weight really starts to shift and you will be able to do things you hadnt before and wear things you couldnt before.
hope this helps and im sure someone will be along to explain it better than I :)

Absolutely - I got them at around 3/4 months. Its because for so long all thats been your focus is the operation and what ifs and hows and whens and now its finally over and the euphoria of 'Im alive' and 'Im losing weight' has worn off a bit and now its - whats next? Think young married couples feel the same once the wedding is done and dusted! Whats next is a new you - this will pass soon - mine did.

Sarah,

I have to say this is quite common after many different types of surgery, not just WLS.

It's partly because for so long, all your mind focussed on was getting the op and getting slimmer, being healthier etc...the operation and the few weeks after that, while you are healing, take you mind off it too, as it's all new and exciting.

Sadly then, the honeymoon for some ends, and the reality of living a life, with restrictions and new rules can seem a bit overwhelming, then once that thought has settled it's back to just living.

I feel like that now after my wedding and honeymoon, I am really happy, just feel like I am floundering, my life had been so full of plans etc that now I have nowt to do.

I fully plan after this week, to get back into a routine and find work, whatever that may be.

Try not to worry sweetie, it will pass.

And for now, have a big hug off your friend Caz xxxxxx

Thanks guys

I know this surgery is going to change my life. I have no regrets at all. I would do it again tomorrow in a heartbeat.

I can clearly remember the first few weeks feeling so so excited at getting there at last. Even today I feel mentally exhausted after the funding battles, maybe it has taken its toll on me.

I haven't got any targets as yet, just to improve my health and mobility. The weight loss fits in after that somewhere.

Maybe I should set a little target.

Because of my weight I have been on holiday for 2 years. Maybe I should book a trip.

I was so down approx 3 weeks post op and read a similar thread and was so comforted to know it wasn't just me. I spoke with my GP and she said it is extremely normal after surgery and it is , as someone else has said, the enormity of everything having happened finally being over and a whole new enormity looming- but a positive enormity!
Hope you feeling better soon hun. Take care.
xxx

Hi Gingernutter,

I found this on a website hope it helps with some answers :

Few people who suffer from depression after a gastric bypass operation blame the condition on the procedure itself, or the very low calorie diet that follows weight loss surgery. However, low calorie diets have been found to cause depression, and they can increase the symptoms. The diet following gastric bypass surgery is so low in calories that depression often follows the procedure - but the operation itself is rarely recognized as the cause.

Some doctors argue that depression is all in a person's head. They aren't too far off, but depression is not a mental illness. It is caused by inadequate levels of mood stabilizing chemicals such as serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine.

Many things can cause these chemicals to get out of balance, including weight loss and low calorie intake.

Calories convert to fuel for the body. The body needs a certain number of calories to survive. When there isn't enough fuel to go around, the most important functions of the body get first shot at the available food. This can cause lower serotonin levels in people who do not eat enough.

Many small healthy meals per day are needed to take in adequate amounts of calories. This will ensure a continuous supply of fuel for your body.
These meals need to be well balanced with a healthy amount of proteins, dairy, fruits, and vegetables. Vitamins also should be taken daily to help supplement the food intake.

Symptoms of depression include sadness throughout most of the day and lack of interest in activities a patient once enjoyed. A depressed person may be tired and want to sleep all the time.

I hope this doesnt make depressing reading and i dont think for one moment you have depression but hopefully it may answer some questions why you feel down.

Take Care

xx

i have just come out of feeling vv low i couldnt face talking to people or being on this site, i just wanted to disapear, tabs helped but the facing up to it with my gp and telling someone out load (i feel so low but i dont know why) helped me and the lovely responses from here helped.

i think it was just to emotionally and physically overpowering and i rushed back to work after 5 days taking it slow but still working that just gets on top of you and you body and mind need to say stop take a break wait a minute, and when you dont listen we get the blues.
after all we have all had anesthetic and surgery.
dont beat yourself up and keep talking it really helped me( well after i faced up to the fact i had stopped talking)

feel better soon sewingbelle

Hi Sarah!

Sorry to read you're feeling down. I was wondering if you'd had your B12 jab, mine is due next week. Sally (Candie) was saying that was feeling in need of her's and we were all 'done' in the same few days. Just a thought, it might give you a boost?

Hugs to you

Lx

Hi sarah sorry to hear yr feeling down. Like you say you have had such an emotional rollercoaster its not surpriing that you feel like this. I remember having a this is it for life moment that had me in tears on and off for a couple of days about 10 weeks post op. I think i was in mourning not for the foods i couldnt have but the fact that i would never eat a full portion of anything again.
It passed and now whan i look back i laugh and think how daft was that.
Are charing cross offering you any after care maybe it s worth giving them a bell and seeing if you can have a chat with someone. If it continues see yr gp dont suffer in silance.
take care hun
carole

I am 8 weeks post op and feeling very low. I have no idea why. My weight lost has started up again after a 3 week on pause so it isn't that. I am back at work and managing that well. I can't explain. Maybe after 2 years of fighting and wishing my life away in the struggle to get the surgery that things are feeling a bit flat. It is so unlike me to feel down.

Has anyone else experienced post op blues?

Hi Gingernutter

I think the main reason is because you lost the main focus of your life.

It doesn't matter how long your journey was to get your surgery, be it 3 months or 18 months...remember how intent you were to get it?...Now you have it, you have what you wanted so badly.

The other thing I think it could be is 'mourning' of life before WLS, including food and the way we used it...be it hunger or comfort....

I'm sure it will pass and I'm also very sure that you will receive advice from the very experienced post oppers here to tell you that your'e not alone on this.

(((hugs)))

Hi,

I'm sorry you're feeling down. I agree its probably partly down to not having the ability to cheer yourself up with food and you've finally sorted the funding and surgery and recovery and it's like 'what next?'

I think you should maybe plan a trip or a holiday. Something you couldnt or wouldnt do before you lost some weight. Or you could plan things for Christmas if you celebrate it. I'm going on holiday in January and I'm really looking forward to being able to fasten the seat belt without an extension thing :eek:)

Hope you feel better soon,
x

Thank you so much for your help. I feel much better know you guys understand.

Your words have encouraged me.

Thank you Blonemoment. Your post was very helpful. At least I am not mad.

My by-pass is so precious to me. I totally respect it. I will use this gift to get me to a healthy place and a brighter future.

Hi gingernutter

Your not alone. Im feeling weepy and Im pre op lol.

Also consider the time of year, a lot of people get low as we enter autumn and the nights draw in.

Lots of advice and support here, hope your feeling better soon Xx

You have had lots of good advice, the only thing I might add is to get your GP to do some bloods to check your vits, iron and stuff. Good luck.

Back