• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre Op Diet - Green Salad ?????

Fat Again

Hi Guys
Can someone enlighten me please, my preop diet states that I can have a bowl of green salad.

What constitutes a Green Salad ???
Is it just leaves ?????

Advice please - Thanks
xxxxxx

I think its safe to mix the salad - tomato, lettuce, cucumber, celery etc - go easy on the dressing though - make sure its low cal and small amount

Heya

I was told my the bariatric team that I could have cucumber and beanshoots and green leaves and nothing else not sure if there are any interactions with the liver from other veggies that they want you to avoid.

Take care Xx

i was told very easy on tomato so i only had half of one but was told i could have sweet corn and a bit of grated carrot wen i asked about which veg i could have either whith a cooked meal or salad. also i was allowed 1 small potato so i had that with salad, and was allowed 1 slice of bread a breakfast and 1 at dinner with salad, just surgestions, so i had my fruit and yog for breakfast , homemade veg soup for lunch and salad with 2boiled eggs or ham or tuna for dinner if i had dinner early i would just have 1 egg and the other with some salad on the bread for supper, it worked for me i lost nealy 1st and never felt hungry. my dietition said it was ok.............kath x

its really weird how everyones dietitan says different things its really confusing coz for my lives shrinkin diet i was allowed unlimited friut and veg and 100g meat eggs tofu etc but 1 slice of bread half a pitta/bagel... i lived on boiled chicken salad with no dressing lol but the salad consisted of lettuce (urgh) tomato, cucumber

I attempted to eat salad after being on the milk diet. I just barfed it up. I think some of the leaves might have been too pungent.

I am about to book a first consultation for bypass surgery - was just wondering how long before surgery you have to go on a pre-op diet? and what can you eat? - how long usually from 1st consultation before sugery? (privately funded)

Hi Lola

It varies from hospital to hospital.

some people are put on a milk diet 2 weeks prior to surgery, others a month beforehand.

As you are going private it may differ to the nhs as they often want you to lose a percentage of body fat before they agree to take you on (the nhs that is).

The milk diet for some is, milk, water and sugar free jelly. For others like me it was 1pint ss milk a day, 4 small tins ww soup per day. 4 low fat yoghurts per day and cucumber, beansprouts and a litre of water a day (for 2 weeks). Some especially those with diabeties, are put on low fat diets where they can still eat. And, some may do the cambridge or similar for a week or two.

The reason is so that the liver shrinks back and does not get in the way when you have the op.

:)

I think if you are a private patient the turnaround between consultation and operation is pretty swift. On the nhs there are big differences in waiting times.

Thanks for that info;-) x

I think that if you stick to exactly what they tell you at your pre-op then you won't go wrong. My milk diet starts next Monday, I've already bought my sugar free jellies (and some normal ones as my youngest loves jelly and will eat it if it's in the fridge, he'd better not eat my jelly!).

I am about to book a first consultation for bypass surgery - was just wondering how long before surgery you have to go on a pre-op diet? and what can you eat? - how long usually from 1st consultation before sugery? (privately funded)

Lola
My surgery is privately funded and my first consulation with my surgeon was Thursday, I had my pre op's done too, blood taken etc. for my surgery on 15th November 09.

They want me to start my pre op diet at least 2 weeks before op date, so I've started it already.

Going private and paying out the dosh really does mean your more in control. I chose my operation date to fit in around work.

From my fist initial phone call to chosing my op date has taken only just over a month.

My pre op diet consists of the following:

Each Day I can have:
2 Eggs (Boiled,Poached,Omlette,Scrambled)
Fruit & Veg (5 Portions a day)
Oxo / Knorr Cube Drink
Small Bowl Green Salad
Steamed Chicken / Fish
Fruit Juice
Tea/Coffee (Black)
Loads of Water

It's really not that bad - I'm glad I'm not doing the milk diet !

When I asked about green salad I was told lettuce, cucumber, radish and beanshoots :).

Lola K - I had my first appointment (private) on the 6th October and got my date the same night for the 6th November. On the pre-op diet at the moment.

Back