• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pre op diet questions

honey-dd

Hiya well its been a whirlwind for me im having my op next wed!!!!!! :),only had my consultation yesterday (had a call the day before i asked when the soonest i could get in was ,was told end of oct ,but could if i wanted have a slot next week so took it :Dlol )

anyway as iv only had 5 days to do any pre op diet i was told to do milk and yogurt ,but hate milk and was told it was ok to do 1000cals

but then

i went to see my consultant Dr sirgurdson (spelling lol) and he said as soon as i asked about pre op diet. as that was worrying me as i have not had loads of time to do it ,to not worry about it just not to gain any weight as my bmi is relatively low and i dont have diabetes ,i did ask again if he was sure he said yes.

so i told my coordinator who then said that i really should still do the 1000cals( i am but as iv not had long wont lose much !) so im now confused

im worried i will get there and have the op canceled as they will find my liver is to big ,but then you are supposed to trust your surgeon and he said in his own words"foresaw no problem just dont gain weight"

i know the reason for the milk and yogurt diet its basically to get you in to ketosis and eat very little as the first place to lose weight is your liver and i have read somewhere of people do 1000calls and i have read others not doing the pre op at all but i cant remember where and wondered if anyone on here had done any of these or if they had there op so quickly .and if anyone knows what the bmi is for people that dont have to do the pre ops ?

Hi, i didn't do the pre op diet as i was only notified the day before of my op. They also said that as i was one of the 'smaller ones' (not that i felt that) it wasn't as crucial for me to do the pre op diet.

I was over 18 stone when i had my op with a BMI of 42.

They said my liver looked fine and my op all went great.

Good luck with your op and look forward to hearing your experience xx

Hiya well its been a whirlwind for me im having my op next wed!!!!!! :),only had my consultation yesterday (had a call the day before i asked when the soonest i could get in was ,was told end of oct ,but could if i wanted have a slot next week so took it :Dlol )

anyway as iv only had 5 days to do any pre op diet i was told to do milk and yogurt ,but hate milk and was told it was ok to do 1000cals

but then

i went to see my consultant Dr sirgurdson (spelling lol) and he said as soon as i asked about pre op diet. as that was worrying me as i have not had loads of time to do it ,to not worry about it just not to gain any weight as my bmi is relatively low and i dont have diabetes ,i did ask again if he was sure he said yes.

so i told my coordinator who then said that i really should still do the 1000cals( i am but as iv not had long wont lose much !) so im now confused

im worried i will get there and have the op canceled as they will find my liver is to big ,but then you are supposed to trust your surgeon and he said in his own words"foresaw no problem just dont gain weight"

i know the reason for the milk and yogurt diet its basically to get you in to ketosis and eat very little as the first place to lose weight is your liver and i have read somewhere of people do 1000calls and i have read others not doing the pre op at all but i cant remember where and wondered if anyone on here had done any of these or if they had there op so quickly .and if anyone knows what the bmi is for people that dont have to do the pre ops ?

Hi
Mine was 800 calories a day, and to be honest i didn't need or use my full amount, i had my pre op food provided as part of my plan which took any thought of what i had to eat away, others here will advise you better, but the less you have the better your liver will shrink and the more weight pre op you will lose :D

Good luck
Richard

Hi honey, very exciting for you, not long now! There is a sticky on the weight loss page here for pre op diets which lists a view, might be worth a look there?

ditzyangeluk, can you tell me why ?you did no pre op diet .

shelbell.Thank you :)iv seen the sticky but not to helpful for me as iv been told not to worry about a pre op diet.and its all diets on there i just want reassurance to be honest that its ok lol.Think ill stick me on there at some point after the op to show others that you can get conflicting info and to trust your surgeon (if all goes well that is lol)

Tammy ,you put me at ease a bit .i was starting to get really nervous about it lol ,i my bmi is 38 so its not low but not that high iv lost 7 lbs since Thursday last week but was weighed at there clinic on fri and only lost 2lbs since then but got three more 800call days to go (but im not going to stress to much about it now )

thanks everyone

hi honey
dont worry i was told by mr sig not to worry about milk diet and my bmi was 39 and i had just come home from america and eaten like a pig. the co ordinator was telling me that i had to do it, so i just did a week on slimfast and lost 8lb and my liver was fine..
goodluck
takecare
emma

Hiya Honey :)

Are you the same Honey from the Cambridge site? If so, hello... I'm Ollie from the Pink Site!!!

If not... hello anyway!!! :D

At the end of the day, follow your surgeon's advice - if you want to lose a bit of weight pre-op, then that's a good thing, but if your surgeon is happy, then that's the main thing :)

Take care and all the best!!! Looking forward to seeing you on the losing side ;)

x

PS What exactly are you having done? RNY or Band?

Last edited:
at the end of the day Honey, its the surgeon who'll be doing the op, not the co-ordinator, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thank you:grouphugg:

you have made me feel less panicky lol

Emma,was it sally by any chance? lol, i was told by her to do milk and yogurt then in the same breath to do 1000cals when i said i was doing 800 she said id need more lol ,really nice but hell confusing !.thank you for letting me know about my sig as i was worrying a lot lol

Olsbols,hiya yes i used to be on the pink side lol a year or so ago stopped using it when louise left so came over here since then ,if im the same honey your on about lol but i do remember you ,how are you ?,im having the band and scared sh$$less sorry swear word but only way to really describe it :confused:

shelbell,my husband said the same but when you get conflicting advice it gets scary lol

Hi like you had a week and half notice for my op (bypass) and also had lower bmi than most of the patients that have the op, couldnt do the milk bit so basically lived on the yoghurts! I would suggest that you try and follow what they told you, most important is that your liver shrinks, you dont want to be cut open and the op not go ahead if they cant move it out of the way!
I know its horrid but just think its only for seven days and then thats it before you are on the loosing side! you never have to have milk again if you dont want to :D

Olsbols,hiya yes i used to be on the pink side lol a year or so ago stopped using it when louise left so came over here since then

Tell me about it!!! :rolleyes:

It's so boring now... no smut corner, no fun, no anything!!!

We used to have such a laugh when Lou ran it... do you remember the 'Viz Word of The Day' that Justy used to do? :giggle:

I can totally understand your nerves, but just think of the good that will come out of the op? :)

I had a RNY Bypass in July and SO wish I had had the good fortune to meet the fabulous Shaw Somers 8 years ago!!!

Ahhh well... I'm now on the road to a new me courtesy of his wonderful skills :D

Take care and keep in touch

x

callysplace , thats the problem iv been told three different things :confused:.ne to do milk diet then in same breath to do 1000cals?.then by mu surgeon(who should know best !!) not to do anything just not to gain weight as my bmi is relatively low :confused: lol

hence all the confusion lol

so im doing my best to lose some on 1000cals. but six days i wont lose much at all.

so thanks to everyone on here im a little happier with it. as like has been said my surgeon who is doing the op knows best so i do as he says lol

but still worried lol but if somone can get a cancellation the day before sorry forgot your name xx,and be fine im sure its nothing new not to do a pre op lol

Olsbols,was a good site wont say anything now lol .

congrats on the loss so far everything happens for a reason so dont wish things just go with the flow your doing great now and that's the big thing xxxxxx

Back