• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pre op diet - im struggling

Duchess_wobbles

I have the band in 10days. I started my pre op diet. I have many questions.

I am aiming to do cambridge - with possibly some protien. My consultant said I could do the 1000cals. My questions are.....

How does the liver thing work?? Will it matter what type of food I eat? ie- no carbs?

What will happen if I do eat carbs?

What will happen if I go over the 1000cals?

If I eat whatever I want before the op then what??

Im bloody starving. really bloody starving. I want food.

I am on the lighter side of the bmi scale.

I would speak to your consultant. With such a low BMI (in WLS terms) you should be able to do 5 days low cal. I have my band in 16 days and have been given a 5 day pre op low cal diet and my BMI is 40. When I asked the consultant why some people have 10 days and he said that with people over a BMI of 50 they may need more days and the milk diet to ensure that the live shrink enough to reduce risk in the op and afterwards. With those with a low BMI then a low cal diet is all that is need for 5 days as that is enough to shrink your liver and no matter how much longer the diet goes it liver wont shrink anymore.

I am only relaying what my consultant said to me and I advise that you speak yours to see if you can do something else.

Good Luck

My BMI was also below 40 but the point of the pre-op is to shrink your liver so it doesnt get damaged by being moved during the surgery...its my understanding that the liver is one of the most delicate organs and easily damaged...if its to big they can refuse the surgery and stitch you back up simple as that.....Also considering your not going to eat for a few weeks post op its worth doing it to get your mind in the right place.

ps I did under 1000 cals slimfast and clear soups forn 12 days

thanks - I guess im struggling to just not binge on everything. Would it be the end of the world if i did??

im 15st, 5ft 4in

Also I read about someone here who had their op cancelled because they gained weight. Ive put on 10lb in my 6wks between the consultation and the op.

Could that happen me? Do I need to lose my 10lb before the op?

The idea of hte pre op diet is not too loose weight but to shrink your liver. The fact that you have put on weight should not be a problem unless you are NHS and they have said you are not to put on weight. The main thing is to shrink your liver as explained be previous post.

If you are struggling just think about what you will achieve and the last thing you want is for them to sew you up again without doing the op because you did keep to the diet.

Dutchess, are you really ready for this op?? You don't seem to have been given much info on it do you?? Are you having it done private or nhs??? where and when are you having it done??? And yes it has been known for the surgeon to stitch you back up with out fitting the band if he thinks you have'nt tried hard enough to shrink your liver.Personally I think you need to get as much info off here and also speak to the dietician at the hospital where your op is. Good luck in your wls journey and I hope you get loads more info than you have as I would'nt want you to regret it. Best wishes xx Gaynor xx

I agree with Thinkbeth has your provider not given you more help and info? Are you NHS?

ok. Thanks everyone. I know you are all right. I guess im going to be here until the 22nd for my op.

Cant wait, but I am hungry. If I make it from now until next tuesday Im home free.

Plus my b/f is so supportive.

Tonight - bed (hes at work)
wed / thur / fri - with b/f
sat / sun / mon - dangerous - working away from home, in a all paid for hotel with work colleagues.

Tue - home free
wed - fly to leeds
thur - OP DAY
fri - the start of my new life.

Im consoling myself with the thought that today is the fattest I will ever be. :)

also yes - i have the info - but i have a medical illness which causes my short term memory to be rubbish.

Im going private at nuffield hospital.

The reason I am asking the food questions is that I hate not being able to eat, I guess we all do eh?

duchess you need to embrace the pre op diet as a friend. It is going to hopefully get you where you want to be a looser. If you are prepared to cheat on it what are you going to do pos op when you feel you are struggling. the liver shrinking is an important part of the proceedure and i know there are eople on here who either havent had to do it of may have had things they shouldnt of but they were lucky. Equally there is some one who stuck to the diet 100% and woke up to find they hadnt been able to complete the op as her liver was still too big. How would you feel if thet was you.
If feeling hungry increase your fluid intake it really helps. Stay focused and tell them demons to bugger off.
good luck ad take care
hc

cheers - I will.

I think the reason Im confused is that I phoned my coordinator to ask if I could do cambridge as a pre op. She said yes, or weight watcher, slimfast etc - pretty much anything that was low cal.

I guess that has been giving me scope for dangerous thinking. I just need to remember that eatings cheating.

Hi there are lots of different pre op diets on here. If you're tempted to eat and don't know what to have its going to confuse you more. If you did the milk and yoghurt diet you would know that thats all you can have so the temptation is'nt there to have something you should'nt. Thats why I'm hoping for that one xx

Hi Duchess, I see that at 5'4" you have a BMI of 36. This is quite low compared to a lot of people but as has been said b4, it is vital to shrink that liver. The pre-op diet is tough but worth it. At some points I was just counting the hours and saying to myself, just get through the next one. I did the milk diet - my BMI is much higher than yours - the only benefits were: I lost a lot of weight very quickly and strangely, knowing I could only have 2 pints of milk and 2 yoghurts made me stick to it as anything else would have been cheating so I had no option ,if you see what I mean, to stick with it or accept that I definitely cheated. The first three days were the worst, v. hungry and felt crappy, after that it wasn't so bad.

I was on the milk and yoghurt pre-op for a week and because I was so paranoid about my liver not been small enough. I stuck to it.

Because theres only me and OH, I cleared the fridge and freezer out before I started, so no temptations. Fridge was empty except for milk and weightwatchers yoghurts for the week. OH did the milk/yoghurt as well with me, except he had cereal on a morning and night.
Made sure I was busy busy. Had my false nails removed, just getting yourself prepared as it all leads up to one thing. ''New Life'' Just keep that goal in mind.
You can do it, not long now.
All the best

Hi you BMI should be 32-33 hun with you height and weight. That is good news to start with. With such a low BMI (in WLS terms). If you are finding it hard just think about what you are going to achieve!!

Good luck. Stay strong STRONG STRONG
You know it makes sense, Drink loads and try and keep your mind and hands very very busy, Buy a ds, saty on line~you cant eat and type. Walk. Have a bath a long one
One hour at a time
love and hugs

Back