• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

protein powder

karenlouisemee

Hi all i am planning to purchase some protein powder today but not sure what to get is it the whey protein powder i need if anyone could help me i would be very grateful.:confused:

Are you planning on getting it from a shop or on-line?

Have you tried any yet for taste?

Hi sugga unfortuatly i wont be able to taste any as im on pre op diet but if ur planning on tasteing some could you give me a verdict on the ones that taste good and the not so nice ones so at least i have an idea what to buy

Hi KarenLouise - check out the thread sugga is refering too as mixxy has put up a few suggestions there.

I'd recommend the MYPROTEIN site for impact whey samples - that way you are not paying out for a huge bag you don't like.

There is VERY little fat and carbs in the shakes so you could mix a tiny amount from each sample and try it - you should be able to fit this into your pre-op allowance.

good luck

The banana Body Fortress whey protein from HB is fine I used it a lot. Strangely I never actually used any powder until I needed to stop losing weight and in fact put some back.

HB's Body Fortress stuff is reasonably priced. There are better ones but the taste is key, if you wont drink it it matters not how good it is.

I currently use Vyomax from the body building shop in Trafford Park its great but tastes like ass.

Thanks Karlos i will check out if i will need it too.
Can you tell me what you had when you were post op and on fluids please x

If you mean during the liquid diet stage I just had beef and chicken clear soup. Milk was a godsend and the odd little thin yogurt. They give you a list of what you can have and I stuck to it rigidly

Once I was on solid food I got all my protein from that. Milk again Beef, Chicken, Tuna and cottage cheese were my staples. Baz reckons you can get the required 80g from real food so powder is not really necessary.

As I said I only used it to increase my protein and calorie intake when I wanted to stop the weight loss and increase my muscle mass. Now I take in 110 to 120g per day which helps and I couldn't get that from the amount of food I eat. You don't need that much protein unless you are working out quite heavily. I really need around 175/200g a day to build what I want to be but that scares me a little

My advice is always follow what your NUT tells you to eat and you will be fine. Especially if it's Chris from Salford or Little Jenny from the Spire they are brilliant

Thank you Karlos, you have been very helpful to me.

Im not from your end, but at my seminar the dietician and nurse never mentioned protien drinks at all.

They did mention slimfast, milk, hot and cold drinks bovril drinks and yogurts.

I might ring the dietician just to check before i go and buy any and ill let you know what she says.

Better to check first, and thanks again x

The usual advice is that you dont need protein powder as you can get enough from fortified milk, however I dont like the taste so used protein powder to flavour milk and to make icecream for a protein boost. Myprotein.co.uk has the best one I have tried, they have small samples so its much easier to try before you buy.

Many of us buy from Myprotein.com as Mixxy & Zoe (zns) have already mentioned. I have always had excellent service from them, very quick postage etc. Additionally, they do sell 'sample' satchets for 99p, so you can try the flavours before hand...something I personally feel is a good thing as buying protein shakes can be expensive. I know some people are dead against them, particularly when their providers haven't specifically recommended them, but getting protein in after surgery is critical for healing and for keeping your metabolism going, I found them to be invaluable when I couldn't really face 'normal food'. I have quite a few flavours in my cupboard, so PM me with your address if you would like me to send you some samples. As someone else mentioned, they are almost zero fat & carbs, so won't interefere with your liver shrinking diet xxx

Back