• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question on daily supplements

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hi all
I hope that we are all well xx
My question is about my daily supplements...iron, calcichew, forceval etc
I am almost 4 weeks post op and think that I should really start taking them now, my team said 2-3 weeks post op but that felt too soon so now I am at just about 4 weeks and maybe it is time.
Firstly...should I start them now? I am getting more food into my system now, though not a consistant amount each day, some days it is more than others.
Also, how do I take them? I take Thyroxine and so have to take that a couple of hours before or after iron or calcium, so have to fit that in somewhere. Also I believe that I am not supposed to take the iron and calcium together. So I was thinking of Thyroxine and forceval as I get up, two hours later the calcium and then two hours after that the iron and then do the same in reverse in the evening for the second pills of the days.
What do you guys suggest? I would call the team at the wl clinic but I would much rather you experienced folks advised me instead.
Thanks in advance xx
Steph xx

Hiya Steph,

Gill put a thread up recently about when to start taking your tabs too and everyone's answer was different!! I was told to start taking them as soon as I left the hospital, which I did. You are right, the iron and calcium shouldn't be taken together as the iron prevents the calcium from being absorbed, I take them at least 2hrs apart although the instruction leaflet says 4hrs! Not sure what you can and can't take with the thyroxine, perhaps someone else can advise or if not your local pharmacist can help. Good luck, you'll soon be rattling like me!! :D

Cuppa xx

I don't take Forceval, I was recommended Sanatogen A-Z Complete by my WLS team, these are still like horse pills though so I break them up into three.

Cuppa xx

Hi Steph

It sounds like a good plan :)

I have to plan my meds throughout the day as I have to take some others too. I always start the day with my esomeprazole or fast tab as I cannot eat or drink pretty much anything until that is working, let alone any other tablets. I take my blood thinners between 7pm and 10pm at night then I squeeze all the others in trhroughout the day. I wasnt aware of the calcium/iron thing but now you mention it something is ringing a bell so I shall bear that in mind. I took my fasttab about an hour ago so now I shall take my folic acid liquid, my calcichew and my vitamin drops. in about 2 hrs I will have the iron then 2 hrs after that my plaquenil. Oh and pain relief needs to fit in somewhere too.

You will find a way that best suits you, you are probably right though about contacting the professionals, usually they arent very interested in how or when you take your meds.

Have a good day

Xx

Thanks for the replies xx
Well I dont know whether I am supposed to take the forceval and iron together but I just did. It says not to take the iron with milk/coffee etc but as the forceval has so much in it and Ill take this evenings with just water then sod it, I took it with coffee. The iron is little so that one went down well and the forceval did too actually, had that 'oops, tickled my throat' moment but it soon went down and now I feel fine.
I am hoping that I buck my lifes trend of being sensitive to some meds, I would love the forceval to not upset me, or any of the meds actually, I just want to put them in and let them do their job without them upsetting my body because right now my body is screaming out for some goodness, had to shorten my nails because they were splitting and now one of them has split whilst short but sort of like peeling split...just want to feel good and get the nourishment into me, especially as my diet doesnt do it right now and I still have one wound that needs to sort itself out properley.
Oh it can be so complicated! lol
Steph xxx

Steph - I take them all together, the lanzoprazole, iron, forceval and calcium, soon as i wake up in the morning, never done me any harm!

Are all your levels ok Mark? I would much prefer to take them all together where possible.
Steph xx

Yeah they were all fine at my 6 month check..........

Sod it then, gonna do the same, cept for my thyroxine, that one is too important to mess with xx
Steph xx

Noooo, you shouldn't take calcium & iron together, they cancel each other out! Mark you could just be one of those lucky people that does not have calcium/iron malabsorption but women need to be very careful about calcium because we suffer bone density loss much more than men! The forceval can be taken with iron. To help the forceval go down easier take the pills out of the foil pack at least 24 hours before you take it because they 'soften' slightly with air. I put all my pills in a weekly container with 4 slots per day so my forceval tabs get lots of air and are much easier to swallow. I take my lansoprozole first thing, then forceval & iron with breakfast, I take calcium at lunch, another iron tab mid afternoon/early evening and a calcium at bedtime.

Back