• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions to ask the Surgeon

chappers

Hi Guys,

I've been on here for a few weeks now and thought I should introduce myself properly. My name is Jax, I'm 52, living in rural Essex, happily married with a grown family and adorable grandchildren. I have a wonderful blessed life, apart from the demon that I have battled since I was a child - FOOD! Over the years it has been my constant companion, my best friend and comforter and ultimately, my greatest enemy.

I had quite a lonely childhood, my parents were busy running a business, my older siblings were seldom there and so I got my kicks by eating, and eating and eating! I remember one time when I was about ten, eating half a packet of rich tea biscuits slathered in butter! Why? I gradually gained more and more weight and by the time I left school, I weighed 14 stone (I'm 5'8") and was a size 18.

I did get to a size 14 during my late 20's to 30's as I was busy raising the family but for the last 15 years, I have piled on the weight. My heaviest weight was 17 and 1/2 stone! I did manage to lose 5 and 1/2 stone on the milk shake diet, but have yo-yo'd since. I have gained 3 stone since March this year alone and I currently weigh a whopping 16 stone :-( I think that the menopause has not helped to be honest, however, it is time to break the cycle. I should say, I'm not an unhealthy eater. I do not buy processed foods. I cook from fresh and follow a Mediterranean Diet mainly as we have a house in Italy and spend a lot of time there. I love cooking and feeding people is my greatest pleasure! I'm not into sweet stuff particularly either and not a picker, but, I do love my dinners and eat too much. Even when I'm full, I have to clear my plate. Sound familiar?

So that's me. I honestly believe that a gastric band is the answer to my problem. I have really enjoyed your posts, advice and stories since I joined the site -they have been a tremendous help to me, especially as I have mentioned in some posts, I am starting my journey with no support from family or friends, which is OK but I do wish that my husband would support me. I understand his concerns but ultimately it is my decision and I feel I really need this. I have my first consultation with the surgeon on Saturday. I am a bit nervous as my husband is insisting that he comes with me and I'm concerned he may be rude to the Doctor! Walking on eggshells will get me in a tizzy, which doesn't take much at the moment! I thought it best to write down my questions.

So, my. BIG question is: Can you think of questions that I should ask that I may not have thought of? Questions that you wish you'd have asked before hand? I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks for 'Listening' guys. X

Its lovely to meet you... :)

I think like all of us you will go into the surgeon with a prepared list and completely change the questions when your in there...ask questions that are relevant to you not what you think he wants you to ask
Good Luck xxxx

Hello
My husband was against me having surgery and he insisted he came with me and I had the same reservations as you. In fact the surgeon answered all his concerns and worries. I did end up compromising from a bypass to a sleeve which the surgeon recommended after hearing his worries. But I do not regret that decision.
Good luck with your journey.

I asked how many band he'd fitted, what his mortality rate was, and what percentage of bands he'd fitted were still in place after 5 years. He couldn't provide a ready answer to the last question, but when I was sitting with him I had a ton of questions!

I hope that meeting the surgeon will put your husband's mind at ease - at least he'll be able to get his concerns out in the open.

Good luck!

I would want to know how many he done this year ,what his mortality rate , ,if your paying is it including long term follow up , how long is the follow up. Is it a fixed price ? .what his long term success rate ? What does he/ she recommend for you . But you can google them .

think of what are the things you need to know, I had researched bands for 7+ years so didn't have many questions! mine however were focused on my personal fears of anaesthetic and I needed to know mortality rates for the company, for my actual surgeon and for my anaesthetist.

I asked about band failures and slippages and chose the company I did because it was under 1%.

Then we discussed additional insurance, whether the band was the best option in HUD opinion (it was my only option!) and dates.

:)

Well, today's the day. I'm off for my first consultation. I'm so nervous. I've been awake most of the night which was partly because of a roaring toothache! I'm still worried that my much beloved is going to make an arse of himself in front of the surgeon. He's been very off since I first told him of my decision. There's been a row in the room most nights! But I've managed to get out in time. But this is show down time. #Gulps!

If I get the go ahead, I'll have no problems with the pre op soup diet. I can't chew a thing with this sore tooth. Talk about everything happening at once. I've got to wear a brace! At my age! Oh the indignity. If I break out in acne, I'm suing.

Oh well, time to bite the bullet. Wish me luck guys!

Well I'm back. It went well considering. Hubby sat there brooding and tutting and spitting "it's a waste of time" as I'll never stick to the discipline needed before and after surgery and how I'm destined to put it back on again and blah blah blah ... But, at the end, Doc asked him if he had anything to say and he spouted again about how I won't exercise and I over eat etc and the Doc (bless him) explained how obesity becomes a low line disease as the body wants us to replenish fat cells and how hormones are released to encourage us to eat. Not my fault at all actually so how do you like them apples baby??? Hah! That took the wind out of his skinny arsed sails!

He certainly didn't paint a pretty picture though. It's not the breeze I thought it would be. I'm still convinced that it will work for me though. I don't know. I've got two weeks before I start my pre-op diet so I'll have time to digest it all more (no pun intended!)

If compliance and sabotage are a problem for you then, my advice, go for the RNY. I had a band 4 y ago. It went well initially the. Slipped prob due to my eating the wrong things and having it too tight.

If discipline is a problem go for the RNY. It's so much easier to live with. I didn't want the permanence 4 y ago but wish I had. It would have saved me a lot of money!!!

Back