• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Runny nostril

I've had a runny nose since having my op almost 10 wks ago but its not just wen I eat its constant from waking up to going to sleep, so does this mean I'm constantly full n shouldnt eat lol, I was at the drop in ctr recently bout my asthma n they sed my immune system cud be low thru the op but am getting fed up theres nowt worse xx

I was told by a doctor at the hospital, as i had an infection a while back, wls is a major op and our immune systems will take a knocking and will be very low for the first few months... but it will get back to normal xx

From reading your posts I seem to get it too! After I eat it's like I have a cold for 30 mins or so. How strange?

Lol this exact thread is on another app I have an they said the surgeon said to her that where there working on is so close to the vagus nerve which causes funny noses so when you eat too much it touched the nerve and makes your nose run xxx

Sent from my HTC Hero using WLSurgery

Raynebubble said:
I was told by a doctor at the hospital, as i had an infection a while back, wls is a major op and our immune systems will take a knocking and will be very low for the first few months... but it will get back to normal xx

thanks Rayne I hope so am fed up now xx

thanks Rayne I hope so am fed up now xx

i had a water infection at week 2 and was in hospital for a few days, but that was due to me being stupid and not drinking.. so i got dehydrated, but then at week 6 when i went back to work within two days i caught a sickness bug... thats when the doctor told me about the immune system... he said all you can really do is... if cld, wrap up warm and dont go snogging anyone with a cold unless you want it too!! lol
you will start feeling better hun... im at week 8 now and i am starting now to really enjoy my bypass.... it take a while for your head to catch up with your body xx

Lol this exact thread is on another app I have an they said the surgeon said to her that where there working on is so close to the vagus nerve which causes funny noses so when you eat too much it touched the nerve and makes your nose run xxx

Sent from my HTC Hero using WLSurgery
lots of people have a funny nose :D lol xxx

I thought it might have been something temporary following the surgery (I woke up with a tube up my right nostril that went down my throat - The very kind nurse in recovery removed it for me and said it had got tangled up!) but for those that are a lot further out of surgery it can't be that!
I get the odd slow hiccup - and after reading this I'm counting myself lucky.

Dinda by the sounds of things it looks like we are all in the runny nose brigade. xxx

The Vagus nerve is used to stimulate the release of gastric juices in the stomach and apparently when we have abdominal surgery the vegus nerve can be and is often stimulated/irritated and may cause the runny nose and hiccups. It often settles down after a few months, but it can be irritated for much longer in some people.

Well i have always said everyday is a school day... and i think we have all learned something new with this thread... i had no idea we had a Vegus nerve... and now i know why my nose was rning this morning after breaky when i clearly dont have a cold.
Very good thread... i love learning new things xx

Back