• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve - how long before you are up and about?

melarnz

Hi

I'm looking to book my gastric sleeve privately. I am getting made redundant and thought it would be an ideal time to have it done.

Only question (and I'm sure it's a bit like how long is a piece of string) is, how long before I'm up and about?

I'm not too worried about driving, but I do have an 8 and 5 year old. They are both quite independant, but obviously I'll need to get them to school. Roughly how long after surgery would I be able to do this and then walk them the mile to school?

Thanks

Mel xxx

Really depends on you, how your body reacts to the procedure and what your team suggests. Personally I was up and walking about 4 hours after the procedure and haven't stopped since, drove after the first week, but I had zero complications... even the trapped wind wasn't as bad as some people have said theirs was. Even after I got home, I healed up really quickly and without any problems. But there are some people who have had quite a few issues afterwards, so again, really all depends on you and how your body reacts. Not very helpful, I know, but if you've had any sort of procedure done previously, that might give you a better idea. Also, I've been told that if you're fairly fit (albeit a heavy fit) in yourself, then you react better to the procedure.

I have a similar length school run and couldn't have done it the first week post op. I got my mum to help and had dh drop them with the childminder on a morning. I figured paying for her to take them took the strain off me.

Is there a bus that runs along the route? As that could be an option of bus both ways or one way and walk back. You might find that helpful. I did start doing the school run in the car the week after the op but didn't feel comfortable any further. I couldn't have walked it probably before 6 weeks but it is a mile up very steep hills. I would have managed the downhill fine.

Don't be afraid to call in favours or budget yourself some childcare in when figuring out options.

Thanks that's very helpful! The closest thing I've had is a c section. Was up and about pretty quick. I'm just going to have to manage!

If your driving, then I can't see you having prob..I drove 10-11days post op, no problems...the walking bit I still believe you may struggle with I initially xx

i would say if your up and about quick after a c section you would be up and about quick after a sleeve but it all depends i was up after c section within 2 hours but then my next surgery took me 6 hours so it is hard to gauge just see how you feel in yourself and if you feel you cant manage make alternative arrangements or try get you op during school holidays if thats feasible

Back