• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

smoker

Hi hun - Im a bypasser. I gave up 2 weeks before as my surgeon told me he wouldnt op on me without me giving up! I then stupidly started smoking after the op. :(
Sal x

The lady in the bed next to me was a smoker...

She had a terrible cough after surgery and it hurt her to cough - she found holding a small round hard pillow over her tummy helped..

hey hun i think this may vary form hospital to hospital but i do know majority of surgeons do ask you to stop smoking before the op and some will refuse till you have stopped as it can hinder recovery and healing and your more likely to get infections as wounds wont heal properly, its all in your interest... would you think about stopping sweets x

Hiya ! I would say try and stop if you can. The Allen Carr video helped my OH give up really successfully.
Good luck with your band and come join us for support x

no i gave up 2 wweks before surgery and havent gone back to them. our doctors at sunderland wont do it unless you have given up.

I also quit 2 weeks b4 surgery as I did not want my op cancelled. Most hospitals require smoke free for 6 weeks prior to surgery.

Thanks for the support guys !
I will give it a good try , i dont have many days left before surgery but a few days off the cigarettes may make some difference.
I'm so scared , i've never been in hospital in my entire life .

look out for seawaves she to is in the process of giving up, you can help each other...xx

I through reading Phatgirls diary that patients can be refused if you havent given up prior to having the op.

I dont smoke thankfully.

There was a woman who had a band done the same time as me and she gave up before her op, but the day after was outside puffing away. The surgeon saw her, but what could he do as the op was already done?

Both my parents smoke so i understand how hard it must be, but please try and give up. :) xxxxxxx

I've read that too but in all honesty i've not been
even asked about smoking , i had my pre op
last friday and declared it myself but still nothing said ! seems bizarre .

I've read that too but in all honesty i've not been
even asked about smoking , i had my pre op
last friday and declared it myself but still nothing said ! seems bizarre .

Hi Lindylulu. I am (hopefully:rolleyes:) having my surgery the day after you so may see you there. Who did you see at the pre op in terms of the anaesthetist? Mr Youseff who saw me is a real dragon about patients who smoke and said he would not allow someone to have any operation if they had not given up for at least 6 months. Try and quit now if you can and if I do not see you next week - good luck!

tranquil

Hi Tranquil , my op is at spire little aston , not met the aneth as yet, had to go private as started with nhs at walsall, had appointment with Dr Hartland then had appointment with Dr Kendrick - who did mention smoking and that i would need to be down to no more than 5 a day , all this took approx 8 months ,then on 20th october received a letter saying that south staffs pct had changed criteria for the op and refferal cancelled ! When i met with Mr Khan at the spire 2 days later he told me flat the south staffs had run out of money !!

Maybe a tad presumptious of me, but might not have been mentioned as you are a private patient. NHS, across most PCT impose conditions on the surgery that are related to smoking.

I used the inhalers which helped me.

Last edited:
Hi Tranquil , my op is at spire little aston , not met the aneth as yet, had to go private as started with nhs at walsall, had appointment with Dr Hartland then had appointment with Dr Kendrick - who did mention smoking and that i would need to be down to no more than 5 a day , all this took approx 8 months ,then on 20th october received a letter saying that south staffs pct had changed criteria for the op and refferal cancelled ! When i met with Mr Khan at the spire 2 days later he told me flat the south staffs had run out of money !!

Oh my goodness - I know that all the PCT's that contract with Walsall have changed their criteria but you are the first person who I have heard had their referral stopped like that. I was told that anyone already in the system would have their referral honoured. Did you query this with them?

It might explain why no one said anything about the smoking if you are going private although I would have thought they would have advised you to stop.

Good luck - I hope it goes well.

tranquil

Hi Zionaka , thanks for all your advice - did you use the inhalers before or after your surgery or both ?
What type of inhaler did you use ?

I used nicorette inhalers, very good for that habitual hand to mouth motion.

It's five weeks since I quit, and 3 weeks post op, I still use the inhaler occassionally, when the craving kicks in.

Hi tranquil, i hope all goes well foryou too x
I have a friend who was also in the system that has received the same letter - even with a bmi over 50 they wont fund unless you have either diabeties ,sleep apanea (spelt wrong i think) hypertention or a cholesterol condition i cant remember the name of . even if your in the system they won't fund it ! its been an emotional rollercoater to be honest.

Back