• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Started Loosing My hair : (

JoJoTGirl

Despite trying to keep my protein intake up and religeously taking my supplements, the dreaded hair loss has started for me at 18 weeks post op.

Even though I knew it would likely come and even though I know it's unlikely I'll end up bald or even patchy it's hit me like a freight train and I am so, so down in the dumps about it! :cry:

I wouldn't go back on my decision for all the tea in china but emotionally this might just be my biggest hurdle yet and forever as I've always "hidden" behind my hair. No matter how huge I got, I felt I could hold my immaculately coiffed / made up head up high and kind of get away with it (who am I kidding, but it was, and is, my security blanket).

My dietician has disappeared off the face of the earth and my GP wants her to confirm that she wants me to be prescribed a high dose zinc supplement (she put this is my discharge notes in case of hair loss). GP also says I would benefit from cutting the length of my hair up and not pulling it up or back into ponytails or updos. This is even more upsetting than it thinning out I think.

Has anyone any experience in this field? Did cutting shorter (mine is very nearly waist length and very thick) make a difference? How about pulling it back or up? Just after a few opinions before I do anything too drastic as I've also read that once this stage starts that growth slows down too.

Oh dear! :sigh:

Mine was extremely long and thick at one point. Cutting it shorter does stop it pulling as does no more ponytails. Basically pull on it as little as possible and don't run your hands through it! It will grow back - I have a zillion baby hairs and its thickening back up. Hang in there honey.

Ahh JoJo you are speaking of precisely the same thing I'm dreading. I already have very fine short hair which I colour all sorts of shades with red and purple included.

I am also on stage every week performing and I'm totally terrified that I will have bald patches and have very little hair to hide this. What to do??

You won't have bald patches. It may go limp and thin, but I was told it wasn't noticeable. Until of course my mother saw me and said is your hair falling out? Thanks mum. Get the hairdresser to cut it in a way that will disguise the thiness, and wear big jewellery to take the eyes off it. And just an aside - this is a life changing journey. It takes it own energy and needs some time devoted to it - for the first six months life is not the way it used to be and its a big adjustment. Once you get there it does get easier, I promise.

I didn't cut mine but I did cut down on washing it so much as I lost loads every time I washed it. Mine lasted 2-3 months but now I have lots of lovely new hair growth. I know it's horrible but it's not forever and it will come back. Try and put it in perspective with the amazing thing you're doing. Xx

Its difficult because I was always a shedder. It never mattered as my hair grew so fast and was so thick. I would say I'm definitely over the worst, but for some people it last until they are 18 months post op. You will fluctuate, so some weeks it will feel thicker and others you will get more drop. I take the hair skin and nails vits - hairdresser said they take six to eight months to have an effect on hair though.

I had 8 inches chopped off of mine yesterday and actually I like it! GP insisted on doing full bloods just to check out where I am but has prescribed me the high dose zinc my dietician recommends in the meantime. She said it may slow things down having it cut but that ultimately what will be, will be. Biggest think she said was putting it under pressure (like when its pulled up or back) hence my decision to chop it very nearly too short to go up! She also said she thinks things will settle in a couple of months provided bloods don't show a more relevant deficiency.

Hi Jo Jo I'm at the same stage as you as regards hair loss and I'm in despair. Had 3inches cut off on Tuesday, doc did bloods Monday to check levels and thyroid. I see surgeon today so will mention it there too. I know it's only hair but it has always been my pride and joy. Big hugs Jo Jo

Frances

Back