• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sticking

salski

As some of you are aware - I did the 5 day pouch test as recommended by phatgirl and hopelesscase about a month ago..well I lost a phenomenal amout of weight that week, and have stayed the same since.
Im just wondering if anyone thinks I should do the pouch test again, as well as increase my exercise levels, or is it too soon after the last one?
Any ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Sally xx

Hi Sally what exactly is the pouch test?? sounds intriguing

Jay xx

What is this pouch test people keep talking about? lol

If i wasnt losing weight, that would seem to be a good idea but doesnt seem right for me..... but i guess individual circumstances will vary..... I know my pouch still works because I still eat less than my girlfriend. Her everyday eating habits are my pouch test lol

Yeah I see what you you mean. For me though although I can eat less than my fella etc, I feel I can eat a hell of a lot more than I could a few weeks ago - know what I mean?

Yeah i do. I remember speaking to you a while back about me being concerned with how much i ate. You made me realise that we are both now 5 months post op and we arent meant to be having the same size portions as we were 5 weeks post op. its bound to increase. Sometimes I can eat loads, Friday night i had a 4 course meal (didnt finish each course) at a sportsman dinner but last night i struggled to eat one course of fish and mash! Its still a psychological thing i reckon. At the sportsman dinner i wasnt wanting to be full and didnt want anyone to notice me eating less etc so ate a bit more even well full whereas last night i stopped when i was full, as long as you do that i dont think you will stretch or ruine your pouch.... x

Yeah - I defo agree with the psychological effect, and I beleive the pouch test is designed to A show you that you can survive on no food, and B that there is no need to eat carbs etc.
I got into snacking in a big way, so much so that I ended up not having a meal at night and just snacking...not always on bad things!
Either way - I need a kick up the arse for weight loss and also need to do more excersize. I might leave the PT for a few more weeks and see how I get on...
Your weight loss is cracking and you look fantastic!

Hi Sal

I think you might be looking at this from the wrong angle

Rather than redoing the PT you should simply re-evaluate your intake against your activity.

I hardly ever get feelings that my pouch is full, I guess the signals from my stomach to my brain were blocked for so long that they stopped being sent or the pathways were scrambled.

With that in mind I have to measure out how much I eat at each meal in line with my NUT's advice. I use a small bowl for my meals and use this as portion control.

Of course I make sure I eat twice as much protein as carbs, and avoid empty calories such as bread etc.

The pouch is good but on it's own it will not maximise your weight loss. You should evaluate your exercise levels too and it may be you need to increase what exercise you are taking.

I know the temptation when you stall is to cut back on everything you eat, but unless your body is getting enough protein and water it will not burn the fat at the rate you are looking for.

I'm sure you will be fine with this Sal.

Hi Sal

I think you might be looking at this from the wrong angle

Rather than redoing the PT you should simply re-evaluate your intake against your activity.

I hardly ever get feelings that my pouch is full, I guess the signals from my stomach to my brain were blocked for so long that they stopped being sent or the pathways were scrambled.

With that in mind I have to measure out how much I eat at each meal in line with my NUT's advice. I use a small bowl for my meals and use this as portion control.

Of course I make sure I eat twice as much protein as carbs, and avoid empty calories such as bread etc.

The pouch is good but on it's own it will not maximise your weight loss. You should evaluate your exercise levels too and it may be you need to increase what exercise you are taking.

I know the temptation when you stall is to cut back on everything you eat, but unless your body is getting enough protein and water it will not burn the fat at the rate you are looking for.

I'm sure you will be fine with this Sal.

Thank you for your reply. I feel that I was eating much more, but it wasnt bad stuff I was eating at meal times. I was snacking on grapes and nuts, and twiglets etc however the Dr told me the other day I should not be snacking - ever and so to cut my portions sizes now, as well as no snacks may just send me insane, or cause me failure.

I defo need to up my exercise levels and will take this point on board. New day new start. The doc told me to join a gym and do 10,000 steps a day walking too.

Thanks, and I get your point that the PT is not an long term outcome.
Thanks K xxx

saskia just been calculating yr average weekly loss based on 75lbs in 22 weeks since yr surgery and it averages around 3.4lbs a week

So i compared it to mine excluding the 2 stone i lost before and mine works out at 2.6 lbs a week
i know mine has stopped and started and has really slowed now but looking at yr average weekly loss you are doing really well.

I know its frustraiting and i think karlos uses a fantastic visual portion control and if you are starting the gym as well you should see them scales moving again. Have you taken yr measurments? also do you vary what you eat each day i found my slowest loss was when i was having the same for breakfast and lunch each day but since i varied when during the day i had my carbs and varying what i had each day instead of oatibix for breakfast and salad and meat at lunch
i now have an asssortment of breakfasts during the week sometimes with carbs sometimes without and also the same at lunch.

other than that i dont know what to surgest but hope you see a movement soon
take care
carole

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I feel that I was eating much more, but it wasnt bad stuff I was eating at meal times. I was snacking on grapes and nuts, and twiglets etc however the Dr told me the other day I should not be snacking - ever and so to cut my portions sizes now, as well as no snacks may just send me insane, or cause me failure.

I defo need to up my exercise levels and will take this point on board. New day new start. The doc told me to join a gym and do 10,000 steps a day walking too.

Thanks, and I get your point that the PT is not an long term outcome.
Thanks K xxx

I'm sure you will sort this Sal.

I'm surprised the Dr told you to never snack, It's what you snack on that's important surely.

I have three meals and two snacks a day, but the snacks are ten grapes and a yogurt respectively.

I would find without them I would get too hungry and be tempted to over eat at lunch and dinner. I find even the slider food yogurt takes the edge off until lunch. I never thought I'd be satisfied with just a yogurt :D

It might be you are going too long between eating and that's upping your intake at these isolated meal times.

Ask for an appointment with your NUT and keep a food diary for the next week or so then analyse exactly what you eat and when.

saskia just been calculating yr average weekly loss based on 75lbs in 22 weeks since yr surgery and it averages around 3.4lbs a week

So i compared it to mine excluding the 2 stone i lost before and mine works out at 2.6 lbs a week
i know mine has stopped and started and has really slowed now but looking at yr average weekly loss you are doing really well.

I know its frustraiting and i think karlos uses a fantastic visual portion control and if you are starting the gym as well you should see them scales moving again. Have you taken yr measurments? also do you vary what you eat each day i found my slowest loss was when i was having the same for breakfast and lunch each day but since i varied when during the day i had my carbs and varying what i had each day instead of oatibix for breakfast and salad and meat at lunch
i now have an asssortment of breakfasts during the week sometimes with carbs sometimes without and also the same at lunch.

other than that i dont know what to surgest but hope you see a movement soon
take care
carole

Thank for your reply, and putting it into perspective - I guess that because it is sooo stop start, 3 or 4 weeks nothing, then a big loss I always feel on the 3rd or 4th week that Im doing something seriously wrong! It didnt help going to the hospital the other day and her telling me I wasnt on target, even though I thought and felt like I was. I came out with mixed feelings - half of her saying I was doing really well the other half, no snacks and not on target?! :S Confused like mad!
I really struggle with breakfasts on weekdays, so end up just having a cereal bar or shake, but weekends I snack less, and I reckon thats to do with breakfast. I should maybe try for a piece of toast for breakfast and no carbs the rest of day.
Taking on Karls advice, I just come back from a 20 min bike ride with a 5 min jog...not much I know, but its a start.
I think I will give the 5DPT a miss and carry on the way I have been doing, keeping a healthy snack in there.
Thank you for your advice, its really appreciated...just knowing you both have taken the time out is cracking! :D
Sally - AKA the much happier bunny x

Anytime sally. Is breakfast down to timing or just you dont like eating first thing.
One of the things that really seems to get me moving(in more ways that one) tmi lol when i have it for breakfast is an innocent smoothie for kids. i keep them in for the mornings when i have had a bad morning with the kids and havent had time to sit and eat. i just open one an sip as i go.the orange mango and pinapple has the highest protien 1.4g all natural sugar 14.5g carb and 0.4g fat I then have a piece of nics fantastic protien cake (i have 3 sliced in portions in the freezer so its always to hand) later in the morn to balance things out.
carole

Oooh I think its a mixture of time and of eating in the morning. I usually get up for 6.30 and leave for work at 6.45...normally brush teeth etc in work lol.
I tried cereals/musli etc a few weeks back, but found that I was hungry straight after, whereas just a protein shake doesnt make me hungry until dinner?! Its madness! Hahaha
I tried them innocent smoothies about 2 months post op, and I was struggling with fruit then as I always had a mild dumping episode (mild as in, diarrhoea and sweats - but not too uncontrollable) so maybe I should try them now I can handle fruit. As for Nics protein cake - never tried it, or tried to make it....thinnk I might have to have a baking session! hahaha
Thanks again HC - your a star! xxxx

Back