• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sudden and unexpected surgery date !

Thanks sicknote. It's good timing really. Have started getting really bad back pain , and now seem to be thirsty all the time aswell. Hope it's not a sign of diabetes !!

i'm really pleased for you as i know how hard this mind game called "weight loss surgery" can get you down x i'm hopeful that things will go your way and like you say its come at the right time and any surgeon worth his salt will see that the extra half a stone is not worth stalling over, esp because your suffering day to day xx i wish you well xxxx :bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::bliss::):):)

Good luck!! Let us know how you get on :)

Im totally confused with Sunderland hopital about this waiting list carry on cant believe the way they treat ppl was told 10 days ago that i was down for operation day end of May( been on list from November 19th 2010 after endoscopy) so still not heard anything rang today spoke to mr smalls sec where she told me she couldn't tell me anything other than it wasnt going to be in next 10 days due to diet ( need to be on it for 10days) i said i thought you gave 4 weeks notice then she started going on about extra lists totally lost me said i had to wait until i appeared on this list then i might get letter with only 10 days notice i think like i say tho might be me getting lost off a bit do you think its cheeky if i ring again tomorrow and say i didnt understand?

i had gained for my second clinic appointment and when i got the date realised i had 14 days to lose a stone, then the darned appointment was brought forward 4 days !
I went on Slimfast twice a day and one low cal meal, keeping my intake below 800 cals ( i had support from my local PCT dietician who said this was safe as it was very short term) I managed to lose the stone, its amazing what you can do if you put your mind to something and want it badly enough lol. Don't get discouraged, just go for it.
As Liz said, most people lose a big chunk on the pre-op diet.
As for weekend surgery, i had mine on a Saturday and my surgeon had been at a conference in London, only returning on the Friday night. He still managed to do a fine job lol
With regard to B12 injections i get my prescription of five ampules at a time (15 month supply) which i keep at home and just take to the clinic when its time for the jabs.
All your questions are very normal and you'll have chance to see a surgeon & anaesthetist the night before your op to ask them anything. The dietician will also see you before you are discharged and give you loads of info to take home with you.
Good luck x x

i had a date for 24th may which is now being changed to provisionally the 30th may at SRH -i just got a phone call. not too worried as its defo going to be in may. xx

Hey Undecided

Good luck with the weight loss, I'm sure you'll do it. I had my endoscopy the same date as you so am now praying that I get a date soon :D

Hi I have my pre-op appt on Tuesday at Sunderland and my surgery on 20th.

I have had a few pounds to lose too.

I have received the 2 diets from the dietician, I start the milk diet on Tuesday but I have been doing the low carb diet to try and lose the few pounds I need.

Here it is as follows:

Breakfast -
1 small glass of fruit juice
1 weetabix or small bowl of unsweetened cereal with skimmed or semi-skimmed milk

Lunch -
1 slice of bread or 2 crisp breads
Small portion of lean meat, fish, cottage cheese or 1 egg
Salad

Dinner -
Small portion of lean meat or fish
1 small potato or 2 tablespoons of rice or pasta
Vegetables

Daily -
Half a pint of semi skimmed milk for use on cereal and drinks
1 low fat, low sugar yoghurt
2 portions of fruit - e.g apple, banana, orange or pear

Water, tea, coffee and low calorie drinks and squashes are allowed freely.
Sweetners are allowed.

Hope this helps

Karenx

Thanks Guys

NEDebz - were you sat in front of me or behind ? I remember 2 girls being there but am ribbish with faces and names lol. Yep you should defiantely be soon though - so be prepared for a random phone call ! lol. Apparently you have to fit certain crietria for the squeezed in weekend appointments. I have no idea what they are, and she didnt want to tell me.

Karen - thanks for the diet info. The postman came at 2.30pm so I've now got the 2 sheets. I don't eat meat or fish, and milk (unless flavoured) makes me gag. I called and asked if i could have slim fast instead (had that today anyway as didnt know what else to do). The woman who answered said the dietition wasnt there but that someone would call me back. Nothing as yet.

I haven't got any other appointments booked or any other letters. The secretary vaguely mentioned coming in on Saturday night (no detials of where or what time). Should I recieve another letter ?

I still have questions I want to ask them, but it seems like I'm not going to get chance then until the night before. That will be a bit stressful if any of the answers freak me out lol. If the dietition ever calls back i will ask if I can talk to someone, and what happens next. It all feels very last minute, not at all what i was expecting after a year of waiting lol

I think it is a brilliant way to happen and would love it. Suits my personality! lol

I got a letter in the post about my pre-op appt last week

Thanks Guys

NEDebz - were you sat in front of me or behind ? I remember 2 girls being there but am ribbish with faces and names lol. Yep you should defiantely be soon though - so be prepared for a random phone call ! lol. Apparently you have to fit certain crietria for the squeezed in weekend appointments. I have no idea what they are, and she didnt want to tell me.

Oooooo I'm not sure!! I was there with my Mam, my appointment was around 10am. I've rang the secretary to double check my contact details as I had recently changed my mobile number and the secretary said that I was on the list but that it'll be September time, guess I don't meet the criteria....oh well gives me time to get myself sorted and give myself a good talking to as I'm started to get really scared about the whole thing :rolleyes:

hi

no didnt say just re-assured me it was defo still in May so i wasnt too bothered.... they supposed to confirm today or monday by the latest. she also said it wouldnt be changed again unless an absolute emergency! so cant grumble really. i guess it just depends upon other things that we probably dont know about....

There was a girl and her mam in front of me and I was talking to them for a bit. There was also a girl with someone behind me. We were talking about who was having the sedation. I didnt know at the time till we started talking that it must have been wls day or something, as all 3 there for the same reason lol. Not sure if it was you or not, i'm rubbish with faces lol

luv2bskinny I posted my dates somewhere on another thread. There is a whole thread for Sunderland dates somewhere. I can't rememember now (I had to dig up my old diary to check), but I think it was end of December time.

and NEDebz I think it's probably better you have more time. The 10 day notice thing has come as a bit of a shock to me. I really expected a letter etc. I still don't know where I have to go or at what time. Or if I have a nurse appointment before then. Apparently I do ? I still havent had a call from the dietition either so don't even know if it's caused a prob by having the slim fast. I didnt know what else to do though, and was hungry so couldnt eat nothing at all for a day and a half while I waited for someone to ring me (thats if they ever do lol). I really can't stand plain milk. It just makes me gag.

Do you need to do bowel prep ? If so when ?? And how long before you can drive ? I have a list of questions still. Once the dietition calls I'm going to ask when i can talk to someone.

Back