• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery and Piercings

purpleprincess29

I am due to have a Gastric Bypass at Walsall Manor. I have one nose piercing and one body piercing.

Does anyone know if they have to be removed for surgery?

I know you can get plastic ones but not sure if they can be kept in for surgery if they don't allow the metal ones.

My nose stud I could take out quite easily but I'd need to know in advance to get my body piercing removed as I will most probably need to get the piercer to do it for me :eek:

Bit of a strange question I know, but any advice would be most appreciated.

I have a belly button , tounge , ears peirced and had to remove all , you will have to remove your nose one as you will have a mask on your face that will cover your nose as other areas im not sure maybe when you go for your pre-op ask they told me about what would have to be removed x

i had to take um all out even my nipple! ive got quite alot.. but they were all ok and went straight back in :) x

Thanks Rybens, I was guessing the nose one would definitely have to come out in case they need to put tubes or breathing equipment in.

I'll mention the body piercing at the pre-op and ask about the plastic retainers.

Cheers,

i had to take um all out even my nipple! ive got quite alot.. but they were all ok and went straight back in :) x

I hope mine does go back, thing is it's quite a 'personal' piercing and not sure if I'll be able to manouvre myself too well after surgery to put it back in. Still, I'm sure it'll be all part of the adventure lol.

u could buy a plastic one and ask a piercer to put it in... plastic ones are normally fine.. especially if there not going near it.. my tounge had to come out completly for the tube but i had it back in the same night and they never said anything :) x

last op i had to take all my peircings out...... but if they have been in a while holes stay for a while didnt put mine back in for 3 weeks and all was fine :)

Thats one of the first things on my list to have done when i have lost all the weight i always wanted a belly bar.

My Nipple piercings stayed in, they were just covered over with plaster/tape for the op. I can guess where your 'personal' peircing is and i would get a partner or piercer to change it for a plastic one as you wont be very mobile afterwards

oo glad i found this thread!
this has been my main concern for the past few...well months haha

I have 17 piercings (most in my ears which i was told would be fine at my first consultation last may by Shaw Somers)
my main ones i worry about getting back in are my nose, septum, lip and the 3 in my tongue!

How soon after you come out of recovery can you get away with putting them back in? Mainly the tongue piercings i worry about starting the heal up...even though they have been there 10 years or more lol Don't think i could go through getting them repierced...well middle one maybe, but the front 2 were a nightmare when i had them done originally :p

Hi,

Ok maybe this is one of those urban myths, but I thought metal piercings had to come out because when your under general there is a greater risk of your heart stopping. If they have to use a defribulator and you have metal on your body it can cause burns and leave scars??

Like I said it's probably an urban myth (don't ya just love em).

Good Luck all

Take Care

Paula XX

UPDATE

Well I questioned the piercings thing at my pre-op assessment and apparently they use some kind of electronic machine which they connect to you that helps veins and stuff seal off when cut to stop bleeding and this can cause metal to burn....OUCH!

So I ordered some plastic piercing jewellery cause my delicate areas will be the last thing I want the surgeon to smell singeing in theatre lol, and have replaced them with plastic ones which I've been told won't be a problem.

www.bodyjewelleryshop.com do a great selection of plastic jewellery with cheap postage and quick delivery.

i have over 30 piercings some which are dermal implants i would take all mine out if they said that i had to. i work in a tattooists/ body piercing place so i know that i can get retainers for most of them. if ur piercings have been there a while the holes should be ok for a while :) x

i was told at a previous fair enough not same type of op they have to come out before this is incase they come out during op and end up somewhere they shouldnt, also dont forget if i am guessing right area for personal piercings you may have to have things put in that area during possibly a catheter fitted

Back