• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sweeteners

stubad

i need help guys, what sweeteners are most like sugar?, as some are revolting, i have swapped from the slimfast diet to the 1000kcal food diet, (due to cost), and need some advice...

stubad said:
i need help guys, what sweeteners are most like sugar?, as some are revolting, i have swapped from the slimfast diet to the 1000kcal food diet, (due to cost), and need some advice...

try the canderal sweetner reslly nice aliso use it on yr cereal

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

stubad said:

Ooh thanks for asking that. I use Splenda and Candarel to sweeten food, but really struggle using them in coffee, due to the aftertaste. Can't wait to see the responses :)

I use canderel or splenda too for fruit / cereal etc, and have tried loads of tablet ones for drinks, and found that I only really like canderel tablets.
I tried the stevia green ones though, and they had the weirdest taste - really horrid!
You used to be able to buy a jar of brown sugar flavoured powder sweetener - silver spoon maybe? but I haven't been able to find it for ages. That tasted great.
I'm betting we all have different tastebuds though!
x

Stevia- this a natural sweetener - no calories and not artificial - it's made from leaves... hard to believe but it's true. I'm not sure where you can purchase it but probably at a health food store. good luck.

Stevia- this a natural sweetener - no calories and not artificial - it's made from leaves... hard to believe but it's true. I'm not sure where you can purchase it but probably at a health food store. good luck.

I get stevia from morrisons.......

angelica13 said:
I use canderel or splenda too for fruit / cereal etc, and have tried loads of tablet ones for drinks, and found that I only really like canderel tablets.
I tried the stevia green ones though, and they had the weirdest taste - really horrid!
You used to be able to buy a jar of brown sugar flavoured powder sweetener - silver spoon maybe? but I haven't been able to find it for ages. That tasted great.
I'm betting we all have different tastebuds though!
x

Just had a look on the Silver Spoon website. It is called sweetness and light and ASDA sell it. I will definitely try that.

ahhhh this was 1 of my concerns post op, i dont drink coffee so tea only for me, the best one so far for cereal etc like some others have said has got to be the candarel as it really does liven up the cornflakes, and if your picky like me and loved the crunch taste then only apply to half the cereal then when your ready for the next half sprinkle candrel again to get the "sugery" crunch fix, so as to avoid really sweetened milk with soggy cornfalkes yuck lol,

As for tea i went on to sweetex 1st off and i have a pot at everyones house that i visit as they are good value for money, for something a bit sweeter i'v moved on to silver spoon low calorie sweetner, ( purple & white dispenser) i think this one costs a little more tho xx

thanks for the replies its very useful, there is one called truvia aswell but i thank that is made from via leaves also, i am gonna go with candarel for cerial and the silver spoon low cal for tea, after all silver spoon should know the score,, right? lol

Are you using tablets or granulated sweetener in your coffee? Tablets have a slight bitter aftertaste when used in hot drinks, but the granulated sweetener doesn't. I recently started drinking tea again and had this problem, so was using 1 sweetener and a bit of sugar. Then a friend suggested using granulated so at home I just use Tesco own brand sucralose sweetener (Splenda) and there is no aftertaste :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I use the Sweetness and Light sweeteners by Silver Spoon, they are the only ones that don't have an aftertaste for me but they do contain lactose so be careful if you are lactose intolerant. :eek:)

Hi

I find the powdered sweeteners made from Sucralose tast the closest to sugar, which should not be a surprise as its made from sugars. I did read somewhere that Aspartame based sweeteners had been linked to some Cancers, so I make sure I done take those, just in case. The worst tasting sweeteners for me are the two oldest, Sweetex and Hermasitas, I think they are both based on Saccharin.

Paul

Hi

I find the powdered sweeteners made from Sucralose tast the closest to sugar, which should not be a surprise as its made from sugars. I did read somewhere that Aspartame based sweeteners had been linked to some Cancers, so I make sure I done take those, just in case. The worst tasting sweeteners for me are the two oldest, Sweetex and Hermasitas, I think they are both based on Saccharin.

Paul

The Aspartame alone can cause sever reactions such as headache and nausea etc, but you'd have to consume a substantial amount for that too happen, As for the Caner and sweetners, everyday the news tells us of new things and old things that cause cancer, one minute its good to eat red meat then its not, then green leafy veg is best then you have to be careful which one and how much of it you eat, I dont worry about The news and cancer scares as i could be killed by a bus or metiorite, ( i have actually been hit by a bus before lol) I honestly Believe that the goverment is so worried about being sued that they take the smallest scientific fact and throw it out there for the world to worry just so that they can say "well we did tell you"! xxxx

if baing i use canderal or splenda... or sometimes tesco own.. in tea i use sweetex. The Stevia does look appealing... but seeing it in tesco the other day it was a very small jar and £4.99... and as you are trying to save money this isnt a good option... i defo cant afford that and wouldnt pay £4.99 for it x

i have been using candarel granules today and the are good enuff so i am pretty pleased with that, my only warning would be to not use too much as it is really sweet, so half what you would normally have in tea

I like Stevia or Splenda. I discovered stevia recently and it's become my favourite by far for coffee and tea. Splenda I prefer for cooking. They're both healthier than aspartame.

Back