• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The nerves are starting to kick in.......

donnax658

Question about the port

I was just wondering if anyone had the port fitted anywhere other than in the middle??? The reason I ask is because I have read a couple of stories about it rubbing against the bra and being a bit uncomfortable. Has this happened to any of you???? I thought maybe I could ask for it to be on the side instead if it were to be a problem......what do you guys think?:confused:

Hello,

I am afraid you don't get a choice as your surgeon will make that call when you have the operation.

I was told before hand where all my incisions would be but they are totally different.

Once they make the first incision and pop the laprascope in and see how you lay inside you abdominal cavity, is where they make the decisions for the rest of the cuts. I was told they would be in a horseshoe shape but they are all under my waistband bar the port site which is 2 inches above my belly button and to the left. The oly scar near my bra is the one they do to retract your liver.

But some of the girls on the site have their ports almost between the boobs up on the chest, as some surgeons feel their is less chance of the port flipping over up there.

I guess you can talk with your surgeon but he might not know until he begins.

my 1st port was on the left side under my ribs, my new port is in my chest on the breastbone, i was told it was put there as it stops any port flips as it cant move anywhere on the bone.

Oh right I see - thanks girls. It's only a small issue in the grand scheme of things I know .....don't even know why it bothers me lol but i guess i'm just worried the scar will show in revealing tops ;-)

mine is in my chest the scar eventually turns into a white line and isnt noticable

hi ya hun i dont know were mine is lol but ill put a pic on my profiel later as im only 9 days post opp

Ok that's great - thank you. I'm trying to get to 50 posts so I can view pictures lol.......not many left to go now xx

my port sits right over my bottom left side rib nowhere near my bra all though the rate my boobs are deflating they may yet meet it lol

Lol ...noooooo don't tell me that. I don't want to lose mine, it's the only part of me I kind of like lol xx

My port sits to the left side of my tummy button...well lets face it...Im never going to be a bikini babe!!! Lol

Now see..... I don't mind it being there.....in fact it can sit opposite my appendix scar and compare notes lol

Hi, my port is situated just inbetween my rib cage just below where my bra sits. I can feel it now all swelling has gone down and I've lost a few lbs now. It still causes me a bit of discomfort from time to time (but I am only 5weeks post op). It hurts a little when I have had a few days none stop at work (i'm a care assistant) or when I've been swimming. I tend to feel the discomfort when I bend over then straighten back up again, sometimes it can take my breath away. I spoke to my surgeon about it he said it's normal to feel discomfort from time to time even months after the op.
My surgeon did ask me where I would prefer my port to be before the op, he told me the pro's and con's of different locations so decided to go with what he recommended. x x:D

That's for that - It's brilliant to have other peoples opinions on it. Can you remember what the pro's and cons were? At the end of the day I guess it doesn't matter where it is but I was just put off by the bra rubbing stories. Well done on the weight loss so far - it's fantastic xx

hiya my port sits below the ribs on the left had side of my body, sort of diagonally between the belly button and the bottom of the ribs. If you were to draw a line between the bottom of the ribs and the belly button, it would be in the middle of that line. I believe that mine is attached to a stomach muscle, this is what I was told anyhow.

MyNewLife

Only one month to go

Wow ...time sure is flying by!!! I didn't realise there was only one month to go til I have my band fitted. As time is marching on and the operation date is getting nearer I am finding a few more people telling me that I am making a bad move!
To be honest it doesn't worry me as i'm still 100% positive that I am doing the right thing for ME!!!
Come on march 20th...hurry up and get here lol

Pre op diet

Hi all.....I wonder if anyone can help me? I have been told to do the milk and yoghurt diet 2 weeks before my op but i'm not sure about quantities and stuff. Has anyone got any hints or tips that will help me?

Hi Donna,

I think most of the people who try to advise us against our WLS do so out of ignorance. They read the horror stories (which are few and far between) in the magazines and think we are all going to end up like that.

You are right, you are doing it for YOU. It is a positive thing you are doing. I'm glad the time is going quickly for you x

Back