• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tobi's hospital bag

Tobi

As some of you might know, my surgery is tomorrow, eeek! Last night I packed my hospital bag and I was excited as if I'm packing for a holiday :)

I have a feeling I'm taking too much stuff with me. Whenever I have the same feeling while packing for holidays, I don't even touch most of the stuff I take with me and probably this will be the same. But what if I need either one of these things? Better be safe than sorry and I won't be carrying my bag myself anyway ;)

All of these below (except stuff in my handbag of course) fit in a hand luggage so I'm not taking a full size suitcase or anything!

Please do let me know if I missed anything! X

(Edited to mark what I actually used and some more comments)

Toiletries:
Shampoo, shower gel and sponge (used what I took with my but they provided these in the room anyway)
Hair brush and hair clip/band (used)
Hair dryer (what if they don't have one? I have long hair and don't want to go to surgery with dripping wet hair) (used and glad i took it!)
Deodorant (used on 2nd day and on the way home)
Toothbrush & toothpaste (used)
Dry mouth spray (will try to remember to put this and the lip balm by the bedside) (used a lot!)
Vaseline Aloe Vera lip balm (also have E45 depending on the severity of cracked lips) (used the E45, lips were pretty dry)
Ear plugs (not sure I'll need them but it was recommended before so can't hurt) (did not need as in private room)
Wet wipes (used the 2nd morning to freshen up)
Wet toilet tissue (didn't need)
Tampons (just in case) (didn't need)
Contact lens case & solution (apparently you need to take your contacts out before the op) (used)
Glasses & case (don't think I can put contacts on just after the op but I'd hate to see things blurry - glasses will have to do until I can get up and find a mirror) (used)

Clothes:
Pyjamas (very loose waist for the bottom and short sleeved top) (used and loved it)
Nightie (not sure pyjamas or this will be more comfortable so taking both) (didn't use or like it)
Dressing gown (I am taking a long thin and jersey one to cover my bum while wearing the hospital gown) (used it all the time)
100% cotton pants (x3) and socks (x2) (pants: used one in the op and it's gone in the bin as covered in iodine, changed into second pair after op, then used the third on the 2nd day. socks: only used in second day as I wore anti embolism stockings on the op day)
Soft bra (used it on both days)
Slippers (used it all the time)
Towel (I read hospital towels are tiny, taking my own) (used mine for my body and the hospital one for my hair)
Loose top & trousers to go home in (used)

Other stuff:
Hot water bottle (wasn't allowed to use it as it might cause bleeding, it was ok to use it on my back the next day)
Box of tissues (didn't need, they already provided one)
iPad & charger (husband is taking his laptop too so we have enough entertainment :p) (used it all the time)
Headphones (used it)

Also have these in my handbag:
Purse (did not use or need money)
iPhone (used it all the time)
Hand cream (I get eczema on my fingers when I'm stressed) (didn't need)
Anti bacterial hand gel (used it before i touched my incisions)
First Defense (used it the night before the op as didn't want to risk a cold)
Sunglasses (again, just in case for the journey, eyes too sensitive) (used it on the way to the hospital, it was a sunny day)
A little jewelry box (for my husband to keep my wedding rings in while I'm in surgery, he'd lose them if it's not in a box :p) (used it)
All paperwork and correspondence from provider (just in case) (used it to take a couple of notes on, didn't need to carry with me)
Medicine:
(I've been told that meds will be provided at the hospital and some more to take home but in the documents it says bring all meds with you. Obviously it may mean the meds you're already on rather than those you will be on but it'll be good to check with the nurse what I'm intending to use afterwards anyway.) (did not need painkillers while in the hospital, it was provided)
Soluble paracetamol (they give you one on discharge, no need)
Liquid ibuprofen (not allowed to use for 2 weeks)
Soluble co-codomol (good to buy to use at home)
Bassetts soft & chewy multivitamin and mineral pastilles (taken one on second day)
Windeze, Deflatine and Boots own brand wind relief tablets (lol I know it's overkill but wind pain is what I'm dreading the most and what if one works better than the other?) (been advised Windeze is better and also told to only suck and spit out when about to finish so i dont have to chew it. Later at home i tried all and I find Boots own brand to work better. Yes, I did use them while at the hospital too.)
Peppermint tea (I have to confess I absolutely hate peppermint tea but I'm sure I'll hate wind pain more) (didn't need, they had it at the hospital)
Arnica cream and tablets (to help with bruising - I don't expect to need or use it at the hospital but taking them to check with the nurse) (not the tablets but arnica cream worked wonders on my badly bruised hand after the blood test)

For the car:
Soft blanket and 2 soft pillows for the journey back home (used one pillow on my back, blanket on my knees and legs, other pillow under the seat belt)

Last edited:
Haha no, just 3 hours drive away! X

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

What about book? Or some music (MP3)? I know there is TV, but just in case that nothing interesting is on...

I have my iPhone and iPad for music, plus around 6 new books on my kindle app and audible app for audio books :)

Good luck for tomorrow Tobi x

Ear plugs are a MUST - esp if you're in a shared ward. There's always a snorer. Maybe an mp3 player, play some tunes to while away the boredom of recovery.

Good luck, am having my gastric bypass on sat and the nerves have already kicked in, wishing you well and a speedy recovery xx

good luck and i can't think of anything you missed but you really won't use everything but as you say JUST IN CASE :)

Thanks guys :) getting really scared now...

Brenda - good luck with your bypass too! Hope pre-op diet is going well for you.

Joe - I think I will be the snorer haha! Good thing I'm in a private room :p

Thanks for your good wishes, really appreciate it :) xx

Good luck for tomorrow Tobi. The list will be useful for me as I didnt have a clue what to take. Speedy recovery :)

Tobi said:
Brenda - good luck with your bypass too! Hope pre-op diet is going well for you.

Joe - I think I will be the snorer haha! Good thing I'm in a private room :p

Thanks for your good wishes, really appreciate it :) xx

Good luck Tobi, hope all goes well. I'm going to pack my bags and tick off from your list! :) got mine a week tomorrow. Let us know how you are doing x

Hello! Waiting to go in at 10:30 :) I was a mess in the morning but surprisingly calm now, really looking forward to it.

Thank you all and will let you know when done xxx

Back